PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CFP Playoff May Become a 12 Team Model

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CFP Playoff May Become a 12 Team Model

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:43 pm

According to Sports Illustrated:

"A 12-team playoff could satisfy complaints regarding the continued exclusion of Group of 5 schools such as UCF. In a 12-team system, automatic bids would go to the winners of the five power conferences, plus one of the Group of 5 champions. The other six spots would then be at-large bids, per Pete Thamel."

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/08/c ... l-favorite
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: CFP Playoff May Become a 12 Team Model

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:33 pm

I don’t want that either. Just give the 12 highest ranked teams entree. That should include a G5 school or two nearly every year.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 pm

ponyboy wrote:I don’t want that either. Just give the 12 highest ranked teams entree. That should include a G5 school or two nearly every year.
Probably would not include G5s anymore if they went to that format.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby fan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:19 pm

Actually looks like no autobids for any conference just the conference champion from one of the top 6 conferences plus 6 at large. The AAC falls into that category pretty much every year. Sounds like a good deal to me.
fan
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 am

In recent years, the AAC Champions, e.g. UCF and Cincinnati, would be one of the six highest ranked conference champions, and would therefore get a automatic bid. However, if Boise State is undefeated, wins the Mountain West and is ranked higher than any AAC team, the MWC would get the automatic. In this case, a AAC champion would need to get an at-large bid, based on its national ranking.

This is clearly better that the current CFP 4 team format for non-Power 5 (Group of Five) conferences.

Our wish for the AAC to become a Power Six is be less likely to happen in any case.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby indianmustang » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby shadowman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 am

This is definitely a good thing for SMU and the AAC and guarantees at least one non P5 team a spot in the top 6 and most years the G5 would have snagged at least one more spot.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:09 pm

Kirk Herbstreit Has Honest Reaction To College Football Playoff News
Alek Arend

Kirk Herbstreit has long argued that college football’s brand is hurt by the exclusivity of its current four-team playoff. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise the College GameDay analyst is in support of the latest breaking news surrounding the sport.

College Football Playoff expansion is inevitable. The CFP management committee sub-group brought a 12-team postseason proposal to the table on Thursday.

There’s plenty of support for it, with Herbstreit being the latest to voice his approval.

“I think this is inevitable and I think it’s for the best,” Herbstreit said during Thursday’s edition of SportsCenter, via 247Sports. “I’ve kind of come full-circle, to be honest with you. I really looked at this as something that Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, it seems like every year. We can sit here in 2021, 2022, 2023; those three teams are in. Who’s going to be the one team to join those three teams? And I don’t know how healthy that is for college football.”

Herbstreit’s right. The exclusivity of of the four-team playoff isn’t good for the sport. Expanding to 12 teams gets more teams, players, fans and regions involved in the process.

“I just think that’s something that the decision-makers had said, ‘This is going to allow more teams an opportunity to compete,’” Herbstreit continued. “If you talk to the players, they love it. The players are fired up because they want an opportunity to compete in, ‘meaningful games.’ By going to 12, you’re going to open this thing up.”

By expanding the playoff to 12 teams, it makes the end of the regular season must-watch television.

In most years, there’s two or three games that actually matter during the final weeks of the regular season. That number grows to eight to 10 games by expanding to 12 teams.

Playoff expansion is a step in the right direction for a sport needing a resurgence.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 pm

This is obviously good for the AAC, as any unbeaten team from our conference will make it due to the strength of our league. Even two G5 teams have a chance, if unbeaten, to be in the Top 12. I do think this will push the AAC to adopt divisions, maybe 6 and 5 if not getting a new team like BYU.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby 3rdGenPony » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:52 pm

I believe this is great for us. If this goes into effect, does TCU regret going to the Big12? Where do you have a better chance of making the playoffs? Being in a power 5 conference definitely loses a lot of its appeal.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:57 pm

I wouldn’t think so in the least. Tons of money and exposure in the P5 conferences. And most every Top 10 team will make the playoff. So normally, you’ll have one G5 team, maybe two at most. All the rest will be P5
ponyboy

Postby HubbaHubba » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:05 pm

It is a mixed bag. Certainly see a route where the poll voters will be encouraged to down vote non P5 teams out of the top 12. A 1 loss AAC team will be ranked 13th behind a 3 loss aggie. 1 G5 team out of 12 is better than 0 out of 4 but it will be a snowy day in August in Dallas before 2 G5 teams would ever be included. Better to get rid of the P5, n.d. lock and keep it at 4 but that will never happen. I see it will make games at the end of the season less important. If you're Ohio State you can still lose to Minnesota the last game and it won't hurt. Conference championship games won't matter. Play off revenues will go disproportionately to the P5 conferences making the rich richer. The 12 team model is in no way designed to help the G5.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby CJPONY16 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:14 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:It is a mixed bag. Certainly see a route where the poll voters will be encouraged to down vote non P5 teams out of the top 12. A 1 loss AAC team will be ranked 13th behind a 3 loss aggie. 1 G5 team out of 12 is better than 0 out of 4 but it will be a snowy day in August in Dallas before 2 G5 teams would ever be included. Better to get rid of the P5, n.d. lock and keep it at 4 but that will never happen. I see it will make games at the end of the season less important. If you're Ohio State you can still lose to Minnesota the last game and it won't hurt. Conference championship games won't matter. Play off revenues will go disproportionately to the P5 conferences making the rich richer. The 12 team model is in no way designed to help the G5.

At the end of the season you're either playing for a spot, or playing for a bye. The last few games will be immensely important.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Bottom line for us: Being one of the best G5 teams for the foreseeable future, we now have a theoretical shot at the national championship. That was not the case before.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:35 pm

This can only help boost recruiting at places like SMU. Aside from the money from P5 conferences we now have as much of a chance to win a national championship as Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, etc. If you are from Dallas you can now stay home and play for a national championship. Huge day for SMU, Houston, UCF, etc.
mustangxc

Next

Return to Football