PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Incoming!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Incoming!

Postby JasonB » Fri May 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Of course they will hold him to that. There won't be any bad optics next year, and he doesn't have any time left on his contract.

He has exceeded all expectations rebuilding the roster. Athleticism on the roster is really improved. It will be interesting to see if it all comes together.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri May 14, 2021 1:51 pm

I’m rooting for Jank to pull it out, for sure.
ponyboy

Postby Blvd_Stang » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:56 pm

Lot's of moving pieces this year.

Does anyone have a snapshot of our current depth chart?
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:42 pm

Blvd_Stang wrote:Lot's of moving pieces this year.

Does anyone have a snapshot of our current depth chart?

Doubt we will know until just before the season kicks off...if then! Plenty of competition for minutes, that's for sure. I can see this team being 10 deep easily so chemistry will be a challenge vs all the years we basically had only 7-8 guys who could significantly contribute and there were plenty of minutes to go around.
Charleston Pony

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:09 pm

I agree with JB that the roster has been rebuilt in such a way that the talent really looks like it can compete with anyone in the AAC.

Kendrick coming back is massive.

I hope Feron Hunt fares well moving forward. CBS in their latest draft big board ranks him 83rd…if NBA scouts think similarly that would mean he doesn’t even get drafted in the second round with an unguaranteed contract. If it plays that way I expect some NBA Team will sign him to their G League Team. So there is a path forward for him one way or another. But by comparison another year in college to a) improve, b) develop a higher profile on a team with good odds to make the tournament, and c) earn his degree would have been a better route for me in his shoes. But I’m not in his shoes, and most importantly I wish him well.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 75003/Amp/
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 pm

The way I see our depth chart for now:
PG Davis/Phelps/Smith
SG Nutall/Weathers/Bandoumel/McBride
SF Weathers/Todorovic/Lundblade
PF Clark/Young/Agunane
C Jasey
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:59 am

mustangxc wrote:The way I see our depth chart for now:
PG Davis/Phelps/Smith
SG Nutall/Weathers/Bandoumel/McBride
SF Weathers/Todorovic/Lundblade
PF Clark/Young/Agunane
C Jasey

I'm assuming Bandoumel will figure more prominently in the rotation and could start as he might be our best defensive player. He's likely to draw the assignment of covering the other team's top SG or SF. I hope the Weathers contribute as significantly as you think they will. Jank should have a lot of matchup flexibility with this roster and could cause other teams defensive matchup problems depending on whether we play small or big
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:13 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we play a little smaller and Bandoumel starts at SF for us.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Clark/Jasey/Agunanne/Young
Marcus Weathers/Todorovic
Bandoumel/McBride
Nutall/Michael Weathers/Smith/Lundblade
Davis/Phelps

No one has been more critical of Jank than me but this could be a decent squad. I have little faith that they will be coached to their full potential, but Kendric is a legitimate All-American candidate and will win us some games on his own. Tourney or bust.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:46 am

East Coast Mustang wrote: Tourney or bust.

Tourney or time to move on from Jank
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Agreed.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:53 pm

Charleston Pony wrote: Tourney or time to move on from Jank

and this is a pipe dream. Yes, it looks like we have a lot of talent. If jank fails again nothing will happen. Years, and years and years this has been the standard yet failure after failure has resulted in nothing. little ricky is afraid to do anything and the moneyed supporters just don't care about being a top level program.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 pm

redpony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote: Tourney or time to move on from Jank

and this is a pipe dream. Yes, it looks like we have a lot of talent. If jank fails again nothing will happen. Years, and years and years this has been the standard yet failure after failure has resulted in nothing. little ricky is afraid to do anything and the moneyed supporters just don't care about being a top level program.

OR, Jank had a lot of transfers lined up already and with NIL coming into play and the buyout they waited a year.

As much as I wanted Jank out after last year, with Davis coming back and the transfers coming in, it was clear the correct decision was made. At least for now. Let's see what the team does next season.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:40 pm

JasonB wrote:OR, Jank had a lot of transfers lined up already and with NIL coming into play and the buyout they waited a year.

Interesting to bring up NIL in the context of basketball, since so much of the focus so far has been on Sonny and the football team.

Obviously, basketball has borrowed on the successful Dallas uniforms of the football team, but it will be great to see what we can come up with to really focus on raising the level of our basketball talent.

I do hope Jank is in the process of figuring out the best way for a good player payment program.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:56 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
JasonB wrote:OR, Jank had a lot of transfers lined up already and with NIL coming into play and the buyout they waited a year.

Interesting to bring up NIL in the context of basketball, since so much of the focus so far has been on Sonny and the football team.

Obviously, basketball has borrowed on the successful Dallas uniforms of the football team, but it will be great to see what we can come up with to really focus on raising the level of our basketball talent.

I do hope Jank is in the process of figuring out the best way for a good player payment program.

Jank has long complained about the dirty nature of college basketball recruiting. It is going to be interesting to see how he handles the new rules, but Davis coming back is a good sign. Keep your eye on what Phelps gets lined up.

What is going on in football is certainly going to help set expectations of what we can do in basketball.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball