PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

USF president Currall is retiring two years into his tenure

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

USF president Currall is retiring two years into his tenure

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:48 am

University of South Florida president Steve Currall announced to the USF community Monday he would retire from presidency effective Aug. 2.

“For the entire USF community, the past two years have been a challenging and intense journey,” Currall said in a message to faculty, staff, students and alumni. “In the face of challenges, you have shown tremendous resiliency and the power of our community. As a result, we have achieved many significant milestones. The intensity of the past two years has put a strain on my health and my family. Therefore, after thoughtful reflection, I have decided to retire from the USF presidency to ensure that I preserve my health, as well as to spend more time with my wife, Cheyenne, and my 91-year-old father.”

The message said Currall, who joined the university in 2019, planned return to a tenured full professor and continue his research and teaching in the field of organizational psychology.

USF provost Ralph Wilcox will serve as acting president before the Board of Trustees meets to vote on an interim president.

Currall has had a busy two years as USF’s leader. Among his first tasks was to complete the work of consolidating USF’s three separately accredited campuses into one university, as mandated by the Florida Legislature. Then came the pandemic and last summer’s racial reckoning after the death of George Floyd, the latter development sparking a number of equity initiatives at the university.

More recently, Currall’s administration suffered a misstep last fall after a decision to phase out undergraduate programs in the College of Education. The move came a surprise to many faculty, university leaders and local school superintendents who rely on USF-trained graduates to fill their teaching ranks.

The decision, which came about because of budget issues, was later reversed. But Currall’s administration continued to be the target of criticism from faculty and others over its budget cutting decisions.

Currall, a Kansas City native, is USF’s seventh president, having succeeded long-time USF leader Judy Genshaft.

He previously was provost and vice president at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. He emerged from four finalists who were culled from more than 30 applicants during a nationwide presidential search that began in late 2018.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education ... l-reasons/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: USF president Currall is retiring two years into his ten

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:39 pm

Wow, he only lasted two years at USF and left SMU after three years. He was clearly a guy on the move. Many provosts are. Good thing RGT didn't leave during his tenure with Currall replacing him.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Re: USF president Currall is retiring two years into his ten

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 am

I don’t think RGT has any plans to leave…
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Return to Around the Hilltop