PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Moving Closer to Expansion of Signing Classes

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Water Pony » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:46 pm

Sports Illustrated reports:

"NCAA officials are moving closer to an immediate expansion of the annual 25-person signing limit as a way for coaches to replace players they’ve lost to the burgeoning transfer portal."

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/20/n ... fer-portal
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: NCAA Moving Closer to Expansion of Signing Classes

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:36 pm

Might create another inequity challenge for the current G5 schools, especially the higher cost privates. P5 "big boys" will start stock piling players like the big public schools did before the 25/85 limit was adopted. Crazy trying to keep up with how rapidly the landscape is changing.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:02 pm

If free transfers are the “problem,” yes you can offset it a bit with numbers. But still nothing stopping good players finding a home elsewhere.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:01 am

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby crazy horse » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 pm

If teams start signing 30-35 players per year, would that not create even more players in the portal? The number of players on the field is not increasing. If I want more playing time, want to be near my folks, or just need a fresh start, the portal and then SMU is still an option.

http://theozone.net/2020/05/college-foo ... er-portal/
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:00 pm

Agreed. At best this is neutral to our position.
ponyboy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:34 pm

Great interview on the drive to the game of Tanner Mordecai which you can tell that he was "stockpiled" for OU and he wasted so many year. Sonny really should capitalize on him and others like him by getting their stories in the media so kids will be like "I don't want to be Mordecai-ed at OU".
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:50 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Great interview on the drive to the game of Tanner Mordecai which you can tell that he was "stockpiled" for OU and he wasted so many year. Sonny really should capitalize on him and others like him by getting their stories in the media so kids will be like "I don't want to be Mordecai-ed at OU".

Sonny talked post game about how the transfer portal gives so many guys a "2nd chance" but it is still important to play at the highest level of competition you can to attract guys like Tanner Mordecai and Preston Stone. It seems like every FCS program we play these days has players that transferred from some P5 program just wanting the chance to play.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:11 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Great interview on the drive to the game of Tanner Mordecai which you can tell that he was "stockpiled" for OU and he wasted so many year. Sonny really should capitalize on him and others like him by getting their stories in the media so kids will be like "I don't want to be Mordecai-ed at OU".

Sonny talked post game about how the transfer portal gives so many guys a "2nd chance" but it is still important to play at the highest level of competition you can to attract guys like Tanner Mordecai and Preston Stone. It seems like every FCS program we play these days has players that transferred from some P5 program just wanting the chance to play.

Exactly, I'm very thankful they ended the hostage situation that elevated us. You also have to be a good and genuine coach to be able to still reap this channel. I'm thrilled that we are getting the recruits that we are getting.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:38 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

Sonny talked post game about how the transfer portal gives so many guys a "2nd chance" ...

Indeed he did: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89982
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Dark Horse » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:57 pm

Could be moving back to the old days when teams like OU and Nebraska sometimes had 150 players on the sideline
Dark Horse
All-American

Postby CBpony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Playing time on national tv (well espn+ at least) is a bigger selling factor than riding the pine at OU
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony81 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:24 am

Still keeping the 85 total scholarship limit so they’re won’t be any stockpiling of talent. The 25 limit increase just gives teams more wiggle room to manage rosters when they lose people unexpectedly.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Return to Recruiting