PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:32 pm

Today Aresco laughs that Big12 is doing to AAC what Bowlsby accused others of doing to the Big12. Further, AAC will expand and continue to pursue P6 status.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 778621001/
Last edited by Water Pony on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

Postby peruna81 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Finebaum noted that Bowlsby has "solidified his position as the greatest hypocrite" of 2021 with his actions.

I think he is trying to save his job, and may not succeed even with the additions Friday. Aresco would be far and away a better commissioner of the Big 12...uh 8...uh, whatver it is going to become.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:17 pm

The Big 12 may also continue to expand, according to multiple reports.
ponyboy

Postby SMUstang » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:07 am

What if the AAC added Army for football only, Air Force for all sports, Rice and UTSA for all sports? Then the AAC would have a foothold in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston, and all 3 service academies.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:15 am

SMUstang wrote:What if the AAC added Army for football only, Air Force for all sports, Rice and UTSA for all sports? Then the AAC would have a foothold in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston, and all 3 service academies.

As a traditionalist, I like the idea of Army and Air Force and they add media value. But, Air Force would be on an island in the Mountain Time Zone without partners, e.g. Boise State or Colo State. And, I like Rice because of Houston. As for USTA, it is a new program, so I am not sure.

Aresco has to consider USF on an island in Florida and with the loss of Cincinnati does he need another team in the ET.

Finally, Memphis feels like a flight risk with a rising BB program.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:12 am

Water Pony wrote:
SMUstang wrote:What if the AAC added Army for football only, Air Force for all sports, Rice and UTSA for all sports? Then the AAC would have a foothold in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston, and all 3 service academies.

As a traditionalist, I like the idea of Army and Air Force and they add media value. But, Air Force would be on an island in the Mountain Time Zone without partners, e.g. Boise State or Colo State. And, I like Rice because of Houston. As for USTA, it is a new program, so I am not sure.

Aresco has to consider USF on an island in Florida and with the loss of Cincinnati does he need another team in the ET.

I think Ponyboy highlight of Big12 looking to further add teams would suggest possibly Memphis, SMU, Boise St and (insert here). That would officially annihilate both MWC and AAC and relegate everyone below as Division II.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:16 am

I could see Colorado State if Army is out. But Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, and Wichita State are as close or closer to the AFA as Boise State, though they are not in the MTZ. And Boise to Philadelphia or Greenville, NC would be a long haul for olympic sports.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:05 pm

Water Pony wrote:

San Antonio is the largest metropolitan area that has no NFL franchise. But it has a domed stadium. I agree that UTSA is a project. But it could be well worth it. Birmingham may be the next largest.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Could do a lot worse than that bunch.
Also heard LaTech might be trying to join the party.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby WordUpBU » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:36 pm

Whoever is added needs to be a consistently strong performer in at least football if not both major sports. Money literally rides on it in terms of bowl/playoff money & march madness credits.

See if you can get Boise and a friend or two. If you can't see which of the strongest CUSA, MAC, & SBC teams fit with the profile of the AAC schools the best. UAB is probably among the front runners.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Another writer weighing in on options. If the AAC is determined to expand, the question is "to how many teams?" We would need to add 4 full members (football & bball) to get to 12 for both sports and set up a championship game for football. Aresco talks about 10 or 12 so only 2 full members needed to get to 10, but do we consider going to as many as 14 to keep divisions more regional and reduce coast to coast travel (assuming you go after some MWC schools)?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... in-big-12/
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:31 pm

I think they take enough to reduce the impact when others leave in the second round of Big 12 expansion.

They keys are how much each program is investing into the program and proximity to a large city. Need to drive as much TV revenue as possible. Boise, Colorado State, App State, Coastal?
JasonB

Postby SMUstang » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Another writer weighing in on options. If the AAC is determined to expand, the question is "to how many teams?" We would need to add 4 full members (football & bball) to get to 12 for both sports and set up a championship game for football. Aresco talks about 10 or 12 so only 2 full members needed to get to 10, but do we consider going to as many as 14 to keep divisions more regional and reduce coast to coast travel (assuming you go after some MWC schools)?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... in-big-12/

I think this would make sense if the goal is to stay ahead of the MWC and have a coast to coast conference. It would reduce $/school, but it would probably enhance stability and TV contract dollars.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Expansion candidates watch:

1st the impressive:

Coastal Carolina 49-22 over Kansas
UTSA 54-0 vs Lamar (for margin of victory)
App State 25-23 loss AT Miami
Liberty 21-13 win at Troy (not an easy place to play and a decent opponent)
Marshall 44-10 win vs N.C. Central (again, margin of victory)

MWC did well with Boise beating UTEP 54-13, SDSU beating AZ 38-14, Fresno smoking Cal-Poly 63-10 and Air Force beating Navy 23-3 in what looks like an off year for Navy. CSU loses at home to Vandy 24-21, Utah St doubles up North Dakota 48-24 and Nevada crushes Idaho State 49-10. Would be great if the AAC could cherry pick the MWC

UAB not competitive losing 56-7 at Georgia

La Tech squeaks by SE LA 45-42. La-Laffy the same 27-24 vs Nichols State
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:41 pm

Let’s bring in Presbyterian College. Averaging 76 points a game. Never punt, always onside kick. At least they would be fun to watch. And with the mascot being the Presbyterian Blue Hose you gave to love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Football