PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Statement on our Athletics

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Statement on our Athletics

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU Statement on our Athletics

Postby redpony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:21 pm

too little and way too late.
redpony

Postby solomouse » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:00 pm

I am not impressed with their “goals”. This missive from them only helps sustain my disappointment…At least they could seek AAU status,to improve our general reputation…I guess we do have the best fountains among the outsiders.
solomouse
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 pm

Nice to hear from our leaders on a difficult day like today.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:24 pm

Same schitt, different day.
Bergermeister

Postby SMUstang » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Just curious, why do you think SMU needs a football operations center or expanded Ford Stadium?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby BUS » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:53 pm

Only thing to change is "Best in our conference" - TO "Best in the World"

World Changers - Right!!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:57 pm

solomouse wrote:I am not impressed with their “goals”. This missive from them only helps sustain my disappointment…At least they could seek AAU status,to improve our general reputation…I guess we do have the best fountains among the outsiders.

Other than being a Big 10 membership requirement I don't know that AAU membership has any value to our athletic department. And we will never be in the Big 10. It would mean that SMU would need to create more graduate programs and compete for more federal research project money. Not sure that many see that mission for us as it would mean we would be spreading ourselves a little thin.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:05 pm

It was kind of a pointless statement. Honestly it came across as "don't worry we haven't been sleeping (the whole time). I think they're just sending an open letter to all that we want to be somewhere else but for now we are going to keep winning with Dykes. Come and take it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:40 pm

fan
Varsity

Postby 78pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:41 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:It was kind of a pointless statement. Honestly it came across as "don't worry we haven't been sleeping (the whole time). I think they're just sending an open letter to all that we want to be somewhere else but for now we are going to keep winning with Dykes. Come and take it.

This is the cover our arse but had to say something statement that basically says we were left behind, the B12 had 4 others they wanted before us (at least), but maybe this isn't over and something might happen as this is only one phase in the restructuring process, we still have a goal to win championships even if in the little leagues, now we have to stay the course with the AAC and try and make what we got work. Because we have no other option. And all the while hope and pray. But we've been working this hard and we have a lovely campus and have built many new buildings and we have a great budget vs the other midgets and we spend so much more per student and we are on an upward trend and our academics are strong (failed to mention recent rankings of B-school and law school) and we have a great partnership with Dallas and we will work to create our own destiny...blah,blah,blah.

What I didn't hear him mention was the fact he has been the captain of this ship for 26 years, Twenty Six Years. Yesterday we were not in a P5 conference, and today we are in a watered down G5 conference.
78pony
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:18 pm

fan wrote:https://twitter.com/UofMemphisPres/status/1436329870024450048/photo/1

Seems to have a different tone.

Yeah I like that one a lot better.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:49 pm

Let's hope the question doesn't become whether we be trying to win those championships in CUSA or the SunBelt, which is about what the AAC is about to become. I've assumed for years that SMU is going to be a conference mate of UNT's and they might become our rival
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:23 am

This is ultimately our doing. Turner is very cozy with the old school money at SMU. How else do you explain the fact he’s been here for over 25 years! and he’s among the top 10 private university presidents in terms of compensation. Is SMU a top 10 academic school? How on earth is he earning that much. We’ve flattened out academically and we’re sinking athletically. All the spend on student athletes is just wasted money unless you have a real goal in mind (ie P5). And by the way, we have never been best in our conference. Not under Turner.

I actually think it makes sense to keep Turner on in some senior capacity (ie, chancellor) and have him help with fundraising. He’s no longer fit to be President.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:42 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote: And by the way, we have never been best in our conference. Not under Turner.

How soon they forget. Granted this is the football forum, but under Larry Brown SMU won BOTH the AAC regular season AND Conference Tourney titles. Ah, the good old days!
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football