PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

USC Vacancy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

USC Vacancy

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Luckily, I don't see Sonny being mentioned for this job. Although Fickell is being mentioned which would gut Cincy right after they leap to the Big XII.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: USC Vacancy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Thankfully we have a record of coaches leaving and not doing a good job. One great gift from the worst Allen HS coach ever.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby White Helmet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm

Im sure USC would love a guy who never finished better than 4th in the PAC12 North, and 3rd in the AAC West.

I think Sonny is doing a good job here but let's not be ridiculous.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 pm

EastStang wrote:Luckily, I don't see Sonny being mentioned for this job. Although Fickell is being mentioned which would gut Cincy right after they leap to the Big XII.

There is only one place Fickell would leave Cinci for...and that is 100 miles up I71,
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:53 pm

Sonny didn’t make it at Cal, not much chance USC will come calling.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 pm

USC, like Texas, has become one of the most overrated college football programs in the country year after year...but like UT, they want to return to glory and will probably invest heavily in a "name" coach in hopes of turning things around. Urban Meyer might be high on their list of guys they will go after and while I have seen Cincy's coach mentioned, he's not at Meyer's level and is not a west coast guy but who knows?
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:07 am

Was losing to Stanford a fireable offense for a USC coach - or was he on the hot seat going into the year. I don't keep up with the Pac12 at all and did not see this coming.

They lost only one game last year.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:26 am

Charleston Pony wrote:USC, like Texas, has become one of the most overrated college football programs in the country year after year...but like UT, they want to return to glory and will probably invest heavily in a "name" coach in hopes of turning things around. Urban Meyer might be high on their list of guys they will go after and while I have seen Cincy's coach mentioned, he's not at Meyer's level and is not a west coast guy but who knows?

PAC12 every year has been an overrated conference. They might produce one top team and the rest are overrated. This year looks like Oregon and the rest are middle of the pack in my opinion. I'm bias as I generally do not care for the west coast.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:36 am

Charleston Pony wrote:USC, like Texas, has become one of the most overrated college football programs in the country year after year...but like UT, they want to return to glory and will probably invest heavily in a "name" coach in hopes of turning things around. Urban Meyer might be high on their list of guys they will go after and while I have seen Cincy's coach mentioned, he's not at Meyer's level and is not a west coast guy but who knows?

Alabama was the most overrated job in the country for about 20 years until Nick Saban showed up. Clemson was a middling program in the ACC for years until Dabo Swinney showed up. Ohio State was a nice little football program that could never beat Michigan until Jim Tressel showed up. Miami was a program that could change coaches every 3-5 seasons and win a national championship anyway. Programs give coaches the tools to succeed, but in the end it all comes down to coaching.
mustangxc

Postby Vitale » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:26 am

SMUstang wrote:Sonny didn’t make it at Cal, not much chance USC will come calling.

No, but I wonder if the school that loses a coach to USC might then be interested in Sonny. With a good season at SMU, there could be ripple effects.
Vitale
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 am

Penn State Coach Franklin is at the top of their wish list which means a vacancy probably until the end of the year. If he moves, then the ripples begin. Who would go to Penn State?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:15 pm

EastStang wrote:Penn State Coach Franklin is at the top of their wish list which means a vacancy probably until the end of the year. If he moves, then the ripples begin. Who would go to Penn State?

Briles would be a good fit.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm

Is USC the kind of school that has stupid pressure to hire someone who has connections with the school?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:55 pm

EastStang wrote:Penn State Coach Franklin is at the top of their wish list which means a vacancy probably until the end of the year. If he moves, then the ripples begin. Who would go to Penn State?

Sandusky on work release? He is intimately familiar with the locker room there.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Return to Football