PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We Need to Prepare a Presentation for the Pac 12 ASAP!!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We Need to Prepare a Presentation for the Pac 12 ASAP!!

Postby EastStang » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:20 am

max the wonder dog wrote:That was because of Georgetown's basketball program and coaching icon John Thompson.

Actually, it happened before he was an Icon. He was simply a former Celtic and Coached at St Anthony's Catholic School in DC. He won a lot there, and Georgetown offered him the job. I remember right after he was hired, he came to a High School tournament I was playing in, (to be clear I was not someone he wanted), and everyone asked who is that huge guy? He was 6'10". But within a year or two after coming to Georgetown, they won the NIT with some funky unis, and Georgetown was every DC teens favorite college team despite the fact that it was a very white and Catholic university. So winning is a major part of the equation.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:39 am

EastStang wrote:Georgetown won the NIT with some funky unis, and Georgetown was every DC teens favorite college team despite the fact that it was a very white and Catholic university. So winning is a major part of the equation.

Great point, Hopefully the Dallas campaign and winning can help SMU overcome it's elitist reputation and build a local fan base
Charleston Pony

Postby JBigginsSMU94grad » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:34 pm

Since my original post many things have happened that negatively affect SMU including TTech & TCU letting go of their head coaches & actively pursuing Coach Dykes. As long as we are in a G5 Conference, P5 Schools will repeatedly seek to poach Coach Dykes b/c of the amazing turnaround & success he has accomplished during his short tenure on the HIltop. I sense the major frustrations with President Turner & AD Hart b/c we don't know what are their priorities at this critical juncture of the program. I think they should be transparent to Pony Fans, Letterman, Alums, & Players & their parents by holding a Press Conference and laying out what they are doing: 1) Thanking AAC for allowing us to be a member of the best G5 conference there is and that we will continue to be a supportive member until we secure a P5 invite that way Coach Dykes players & recruits know that we do not intend to remain in the Conference once the weaker schools join in a couple of years; 2) Meeting w/ the PAC 12 Commissioner & All Presidents & A.D.s of all 12 schools to give their persuasive presentation of why we can fill the Texas void that caused them to have interest in adding TCU over the summer; 3) Announce the ongoing negotiation of a Long Term Contract w/ Coach Dykes; 4) Announce the expected cost and commencement date of the construction of the new Football Operations Building and earmark any Bowl $ that we receive over the life of Sonny's tenure to help pay for any outstanding balance not raised by tapping our big $ donors; 5) Add modest renovations that add to the quality of the game/entertainment experience such as a Party Deck & Hot Tub/Pool for Fraternities/Sororities, Better Wi-Fi in the Stadium, Better Food & More Food Options in the stadium, etc. Let's focus on these 5 tasks and if and when we are successful in accomplishing them all then we will sell out Ford on a consistent basis and then we can look to expanding the seating capacity. While we have a Top 25 Team and the media exposure on us let's push w/ all our might to secure a P5 invite and everything else will fall into place!! Pony Up!!!
JBigginsSMU94grad

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:31 pm

Where can the PAC expand except into Texas? If they do, then we have a chance with them as would TCU since both are rated in Top 100 scholastically and not connected to church per se. I am not sure they would take Baylor, too religious like BYU? OK State, Houston and Tech have scholastic deficiencies as far as the PAC goes, but who knows. Maybe they hold their noses and take the Public Schools, but that would put us in the Big 12.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:18 pm

The fact you're aiming low is downright lamentable. We need to prepare a presentation to the NFL! I think we can do it if we just pick the right font and slide transitions!
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:The fact you're aiming low is downright lamentable. We need to prepare a presentation to the NFL! I think we can do it if we just pick the right font and slide transitions!

No, these are student athletes. SEC should be the goal :lol:
Charleston Pony

Postby JBigginsSMU94grad » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 am

In announcing Chace Biddle's flip from SMU to TCU Coach Dykes posted today on Twitter "DFW's Big 12 Team just got Bigger"; That shows that the TCU staff will repeatedly ram down our throats that we are in an inferior conference as part of their strategy to own the DFW recruiting landscape which makes it even more imperative for SMU to get into the PAC 12 ASAP or we will lose every head to head recruiting battle w/ TCU going forward. Those who say we should pursue the ACC need to accept that there is no PRESENT interest from the ACC but google PAC 12 and Texas and it will pull up recent articles where PAC 12 expressed interest in expanding into the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston markets. I know President Turner and AD Hart prefer the Big 12 but we have already been rejected 4 times by the Big 12 and TCU would never consent to us joining the Big 12 and thereby lose their recruiting advantage over us. We have to accept reality and seek a Power 5 Conference that is PRESENTLY looking to expand into Texas and immediately fill that need. SMU alums, letterman, boosters, and fans should be demanding leadership & complete transparency from President Turner & AD Hart regarding their strategy/plan of attack to get SMU into the PAC 12 ASAP!!! Who agrees with me????
JBigginsSMU94grad

Postby Arpony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:49 am

Makes me dislike Dikes even more
Arpony

Postby redpony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 am

JBigginsSMU94grad wrote: SMU alums, letterman, boosters, and fans should be demanding leadership & complete transparency from President Turner & AD Hart regarding their strategy/plan of attack to get SMU into the PAC 12 ASAP!!! Who agrees with me????

Agree with your ideas. However, lots of luck on getting RGT and lil rickey to define their strategy. IMO it is most likely non-existent. Plus RGT loves being mediocre with little to no public scrutiny.
redpony

Postby redpony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:52 am

Arpony wrote:Makes me dislike Dikes even more

He is showing what a two-faced lying scum-bag he really is.
redpony

Postby PK » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 pm

redpony wrote:
Arpony wrote:Makes me dislike Dikes even more

He is showing what a two-faced lying scum-bag he really is.

Hart and/or RGT must have really pissed Dikes off. Unfortunately he is hurting SMU fans and players more than Hart or Turner. Sad state of affairs.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:11 pm

[quote="JBigginsSMU94grad"] TCU Coach Dykes posted today on Twitter "DFW's Big 12 Team just got Bigger"

Must have been a reference to Cincinnati's being invited to join. You know, that Cincinnati team that accomplished what no other Big XII school could this year and now gets to play Bama on the big stage. That same Cincinnati team that Sonny could not even be remotely competitive against
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:15 pm

JBigginsSMU94grad wrote: We have to accept reality and seek a Power 5 Conference that is PRESENTLY looking to expand into Texas and immediately fill that need. SMU alums, letterman, boosters, and fans should be demanding leadership & complete transparency from President Turner & AD Hart regarding their strategy/plan of attack to get SMU into the PAC 12 ASAP!!!

It would certainly help if there were about 30,000 more SMU fans/boosters willing to join in your call to action
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 pm

It would be great if we flooded Fenway at 10 a.m. That would speak volumes to the ACC. You wouldn't even need a hotel. Bar hop until about 4 a.m. Move over to Fenway area, get some breakfast, find a tailgate and stagger into the game. Fly or take the train home.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyTime » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:38 pm

EastStang wrote:It would be great if we flooded Fenway at 10 a.m. That would speak volumes to the ACC. You wouldn't even need a hotel. Bar hop until about 4 a.m. Move over to Fenway area, get some breakfast, find a tailgate and stagger into the game. Fly or take the train home.

I suspect that outside of Tokyo, this may be the worst attended SMU bowl game in the history of the program. I hope all of the northeast ponies show up - but how many people do you see at those alumni receptions up there? Not many. Not enough to fill a section at Fenway.

Combo of distance from DFW, apathy for the end of the season, and cold weather destination will be pretty disastrous for SMU fan attendance.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football