PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2021 Bowl Projections

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2021 Bowl Projections

Postby soccermom » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:12 am

We were just talking yesterday about the teams going to bowl games w/new coaches/incomplete coaching staffs. Seems like a lot.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 35straight » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 am

Are we even practicing right now? Hart hasn’t even said who’s going to coach. I’d rather not be embarrassed in another no name bowl. This team needs a win.
35straight
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 am

mrydel wrote:I really cannot fathom us being selected for a halfway decent bowl against a P5 when we do not even have a coaching staff. I still see us vs UTSA in Frisco to make up for last year.

That might be as bad a matchup as SMU could get. With UTSA coming off it's 1st loss at the hands of UNT and SMU being in disarray, I could see a repeat of the La Tech performance. Sure hope not because I do think this team is more talented than Chad's last team was.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 am

I'd rather get slaughtered by Auburn, LSU, or Air Force than UTSA.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:16 am

I'm assuming that one of the 6-6 SEC teams will be matched up against UCF in Birmingham and do think SMU ends up in Frisco or Ft Worth
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:17 am

I think a local bowl is the best scenario for the team this season given all that has transpired.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
mrydel wrote:I really cannot fathom us being selected for a halfway decent bowl against a P5 when we do not even have a coaching staff. I still see us vs UTSA in Frisco to make up for last year.

I agree. Frisco is "our bowl" until we start winning some games in November.

ESPN and bowl committees don't care about that. ESPN wants an attractive matchup for TV and the bowl committee wants schools that will buy tickets. That other stuff isn't relevant.

mustangxc wrote:I think a local bowl is the best scenario for the team this season given all that has transpired.

How are you defining "best"?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby geezerdonk » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:41 am

ESPN and bowl committees don't care about that. ESPN wants an attractive matchup for TV and the bowl committee wants schools that will buy tickets. That other stuff isn't relevant.

Then SMU is the exact opposite of what ESPN and bowl committees want.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:02 pm

Memphis locked into Hawaii and now ECU headed to Annapolis.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:41 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

I agree. Frisco is "our bowl" until we start winning some games in November.

mustangxc wrote:I think a local bowl is the best scenario for the team this season given all that has transpired.

How are you defining "best"?

Easiest to get to, easiest to get organized for, and possibly easiest opponent given that we don't have a full coaching staff.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:58 pm

mustangxc wrote:Easiest to get to, easiest to get organized for, and possibly easiest opponent given that we don't have a full coaching staff.

First Responder Bowl is the "easiest" to get to, but I doubt the team and fans will be enthused.

Organized? Unless facing a option team, the prep time needed doesn't vary greatly.

Easy? You want to play a 6-6 MAC/SBC team just to say you got a W?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:02 pm

At some point we need to win another bowl game. We need to prove we deserve better opponents. So far we haven't managed to beat CUSA teams in bowl games. Getting annihilated against CUSA teams has not been a good bowl experience. As it is, I won't spend any money on plane tickets or hotels for a bowl game knowing we would probably get rolled in the BBVA Bowl or Fenway Bowl.
mustangxc

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:57 pm

mustangxc wrote:At some point we need to win another bowl game. We need to prove we deserve better opponents. So far we haven't managed to beat CUSA teams in bowl games. Getting annihilated against CUSA teams has not been a good bowl experience. As it is, I won't spend any money on plane tickets or hotels for a bowl game knowing we would probably get rolled in the BBVA Bowl or Fenway Bowl.

Past bowl game results are irrelevant. You'd decline current and future bids because of what happened in the past? Also, winning 2-3 Frisco bowls wouldn't prepare you for a NY6 bowl game.

The opportunity is based upon this season's results. If the matchup is a 6-6 SEC team, let's do it!
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:23 pm

I’ve had a good time every time we’ve gone to a local bowl game, up until game-start when it has quickly cascaded into some of my most embarrassed moments being a mustang fan! :D
SMUer

Postby Arkpony » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:50 pm

Me too SMUer
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football