PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2021 Bowl Projections

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2021 Bowl Projections

Postby shadowman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:17 am

geezerdonk wrote:ESPN and bowl committees don't care about that. ESPN wants an attractive matchup for TV and the bowl committee wants schools that will buy tickets. That other stuff isn't relevant.

Then SMU is the exact opposite of what ESPN and bowl committees want.

Both of these statements are true. Whoever said the first one makes a strong argument AGAINST SMU getting the Birmingham Bowl. In fact, ESPN would probably want us to be in a local bowl because SMU fans might buy a couple of thousand of tickets, which is probably about 2000 more than they would have sold. In fact, SMU vs. UTSA would be a dream matchup since USTA would probably bring quite a few fans as well.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 am

SMUer wrote:I’ve had a good time every time we’ve gone to a local bowl game, up until game-start when it has quickly cascaded into some of my most embarrassed moments being a mustang fan! :D

Same, but that happened in Florida too! I'd rather not spend much money if that is going to be the case.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:35 pm

Armed Forces Bowl (moved to Ford vs Carter) was fun, packed, but couldn’t score points so it didn’t end as planned. I didn’t hate the black jerseys but I know most of y’all did.

BBVA Bowl was fun in BHam. Lots of locals attended that game (the bank gave their corporate employees a bunch of tickets) and it was fairly crowded. But didn’t our running back snap his leg in that game? Ouch.

Frisco Bowl was a kick in the nuts. Nothing redeeming about that game in the ole futbol stadium.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:29 am

The Boca Raton Bowl was an old fashioned [deleted] kicking and it rained throughout much of the game. I really regretted making that trip. It's the biggest reason I won't go to our bowl game if it's not in Texas or Louisiana.
mustangxc

Postby BUS » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:50 am

For me the Wife and i... it's about distance.

Texas please.

Not super excited. More so for next year.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:57 pm

mustangxc wrote:The Boca Raton Bowl was an old fashioned [deleted] kicking and it rained throughout much of the game. I really regretted making that trip. It's the biggest reason I won't go to our bowl game if it's not in Texas or Louisiana.

Because it rained… years ago? Hmm.
Bergermeister

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:04 pm

mustangxc wrote:The Boca Raton Bowl was an old fashioned [deleted] kicking and it rained throughout much of the game. I really regretted making that trip. It's the biggest reason I won't go to our bowl game if it's not in Texas or Louisiana.

I went to the Frisco meltdown and the Boca Raton [deleted] kicking.....massive buyers remorse going to Florida, to watch Sonny Swoons team get demolished, by a depleted FAU team.
Just let me know what Bowl, our boys will show up and play hard in.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Arkpony » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Let me know when you find that bowl.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:42 pm

Bergermeister wrote:

Because it rained… years ago? Hmm.

Not because of the rain, because we got our asses kicked. The rain just made it worse.
mustangxc

2021 Bowl Projections

Postby BrianTinBigD » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Yeah. That bowl sucked. Felt crappy on the way home and shortly thereafter I spent a few days in the hospital with pneumonia, or as my wife likes to refer to it, the first instance of Covid in America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:10 pm

After today's loss, it sounds like UH isn't enthused about going to Boston and would prefer a bowl closer geographically. Could they flip with SMU and go to Birmingham instead? https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statu ... 2817230849
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 pm

Can't blame anyone for not wanting to play football outdoors in Boston in December
Charleston Pony

Postby p1nyfan2021 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:24 pm

CA Mustang wrote:After today's loss, it sounds like UH isn't enthused about going to Boston and would prefer a bowl closer geographically. Could they flip with SMU and go to Birmingham instead? https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statu ... 2817230849

This is the outcome now expected. McMurphey has us projected against Virginia in Boston; a change he made only an hour or so ago, meaning he saw that intel and he buys it.

Time for some chowda, Mustangs
"No one comes to Texas for Fort Worth"

#JusticeForCincy
p1nyfan2021

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 pm

That’s the latest guess. UH and Auburn in Bham Bowl. Huge home game for Auburn but doubt they’ll be very motivated.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby p1nyfan2021 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:12 am

I've received intel that the team is doing a photoshoot for Fenway tomorrow morning. If true, this is confirmation. Anyone else hear this?
"No one comes to Texas for Fort Worth"

#JusticeForCincy
p1nyfan2021

PreviousNext

Return to Football