PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumor mill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rumor mill

Postby mustangxc » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:45 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:It's not a homerun more like a sacrifice fly when you're down by 6 runs in the 9th.

I'd say it's more like the team that didn't re-sign the semi-star and replaced him with the scrub who won WS MVP (Steve Pearce).
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:09 pm

Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:13 pm

JasonB wrote: Bring in two really good transfers. If he can get the Louisville kid or someone at that level of athlete.

https://247sports.com/Player/Gabe-Wizni ... ol-246480/
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:16 pm

His resume is way, way better than Grant McCasland or Golding.

Grant has a nice record, but only has spent a little time at a major school (Baylor), built from JUCO rather than HS + Portal, and isn't a social media guy.

Golding has zero experience at any major school.

While his recruiting classes at Georgia State aren't outstanding, he at least knows the talent level it takes to win at higher levels, and he was heavily involved in recruiting at those higher levels.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:38 pm

I can always count on you to put positive spin on anything SMU related.
mustangxc

Postby Topper » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:56 pm

I can't decide if I am feeling mostly surprise or disappointment with this hire. I have this strange feeling that we will be clawing and fighting to make the middle of the pack in a very weak conference.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:26 pm

since we are no longer in a 'class' with the Dukes and Kentuckys of bball perhaps lil rickey will be dropping the prices to reflect that we are now a sunbelt quality program.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:55 pm

mustangxc wrote:I can always count on you to put positive spin on anything SMU related.

I'm not a huge fan of the hire. I was hoping for a bigger name. That said, I would have had a worse reaction to Grant or Golding. This has a higher probability for success than either of them, because at least he is more familiar with the level of player required to compete on the national stage.

We are going to see really quickly here if he has the pull to get high level transfers or not.
JasonB

Postby MDJenkins » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:19 pm

This is such a mediocre, low level, bargain hire. However, with that said, we will be in a low level and disrespected conference with low level visibility. Our AD has negotiated us into oblivion. So sad that one individual can decimate a University’s sports programs. I do hope he proves everyone wrong and wish our new coach success.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby PonyTime » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 am

I will wait to see what happens, but I have always had a bad feeling that if they ran off Jank we would be missing him in 3-4 years and all of us would be recollecting about how great things were when we had these teams from the past few years.

I had this feeling because I did not have confidence that our AD and SMU would hire someone that would be the splash hire that they needed.

Had they made the move a year ago, the perception of the Job was so very different when the AAC was still intact with Houston, Cincy, UCF and there would have been a much longer list of possible HC who would be interested.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:32 am

MDJenkins wrote:This is such a mediocre, low level, bargain hire. However, with that said, we will be in a low level and disrespected conference with low level visibility. Our AD has negotiated us into oblivion. So sad that one individual can decimate a University’s sports programs..

I also wonder if the BMDs have given up on the program. Seems odd that all the 'decision makers' are on board with a no-name hire instead of going big for a well known coach.
redpony

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:09 am

Putting Jerome Tang of Baylor, and now HC at KSU, next to Rob Lanier, you see very similar arcs with long time commitment to great head coaches in Scott Drew and Rick Barnes. Coach Tang got low $2M per year from KSU and doesn't have any college HC experience. I believe Tang has brought on some very good assistant coaches. Let's see what Lanier is able to do.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 am

Again, I like the hire. Lanier is best case scenario with no LB 2.0 out there. I do think he’ll kill it on the trail. He’s got everything he needs.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:43 am

ponyboy wrote:Again, I like the hire. Lanier is best case scenario with no LB 2.0 out there. I do think he’ll kill it on the trail. He’s got everything he needs.

Lanier definitely should have everything he needs.

Rick Barnes said "I'm confident there are great things in store on the hardwood in Dallas" so we will see.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:56 am

Let's face it. The success of a college basketball or football coach comes down to recruiting. Let's hope Lanier can sell some of Dallas' top talent to stay home and play in front of family and friends and build SMU into the "Duke of Dallas". Ever since Matt Doherty threw that phrase out, I've been waiting for our "Coach K". Larry Brown showed us what this program can be.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball