PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rumor mill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Rumor mill

Postby mustangxc » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:09 pm

I hope Lanier is successful at SMU, but we clearly didn't do an exhaustive search. He probably only accepted since he went to Butler, but still would have liked to reach out to him.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 1846198281
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:35 pm

What evidence do you have that we “clearly didn’t do an exhaustive search”?
ponyboy

Postby ponyswim » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:50 pm

I have no doubt that Rick Hart and staff has been on the lookout for a new coach for a couple of years. Not extensively, but keeping their eyes open asking questions about different people. They have been looking for someone with some Texas ties among other things. I think after talking to Rick Barnes and others, pretty quickly Lanier was identified as an excellent potential coach for SMU. I don't think you do an exhaustive search by interviewing 5-10 coaches for hours and hours - lot of people can interview. You do your homework with the Rick Barnes of the world - which I am sure they did. They is the way most of the coaching hiring world works. Basketball coaches and AD's know each other - they know who is good.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:31 pm

ponyswim wrote:I think after talking to Rick Barnes and others, pretty quickly Lanier was identified as an excellent potential coach for SMU.

Rick Barnes said "I'm confident there are great things in store on the hardwood in Dallas" so I imagine his input certainly could have been involved in the decision.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:26 pm

ponyswim wrote:I have no doubt that Rick Hart and staff has been on the lookout for a new coach for a couple of years. Not extensively, but keeping their eyes open asking questions about different people. They have been looking for someone with some Texas ties among other things. I think after talking to Rick Barnes and others, pretty quickly Lanier was identified as an excellent potential coach for SMU. I don't think you do an exhaustive search by interviewing 5-10 coaches for hours and hours - lot of people can interview. You do your homework with the Rick Barnes of the world - which I am sure they did. They is the way most of the coaching hiring world works. Basketball coaches and AD's know each other - they know who is good.

well this was a very unique situation in that SMU had a successful coach whose contract they refused to renew, so yes, they probably have been on the lookout for a new coach 'maybe' for the past couple of years. Yet Rick Hart stated at the press conference Lanier first got on his radar TUESDAY, 5 days before his hiring.

So my question to you ponyswim, or for anyone else who wants to answer it is this, If Rick Barnes (from Tennessee no less...where Rick Hart's dad was AD) has so much sway over our hiring of a BB coach, why weren't they talking during these past 2 years and why wasn't Lanier on our short list, at least for the past several months.

I agree with xc. Hope Lanier does well, but this certainly DOES NOT appear to be an exhaustive search.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 am

Why do I have a feeling that if we hadn't hired a coach by now we would be screaming about why this is taking so long?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:27 am

We should be screaming about it taking so long if that were the case. The AD should have a list in his top desk drawer of possible coaching candidates for all the sports. The list should be regularly updated. This and finances are the 2 most important functions for an AD. Don't know why the position exists otherwise.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 pm

The fact that the search quickly went well beyond the original candidates that were leaked to the media tells you that it was, indeed, a broad search.
JasonB

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:28 pm

:lol:
Bergermeister

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Maybe the search firm identified Rob as a top guy. Looking forward to hearing about the assistant coaches.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:52 pm

Could we hire the search firm as our new athletic director?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed May 25, 2022 9:44 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:I thought this for FB as well.

That was a very generous gift of $50M by Garry Weber.

Once again, using the 7.5% return rate, i wonder if Coach Lashlee would rather have the expansion or $3,750,000 each year in NIL disbursements.

That’s paying your top 40 players some $100k per year.

Which would make SMU more competitive???

I wonder if our AD even had this discussion.

Recent SI article and how it relates to Weber donation + the other facilities upgrades SMU has done recently…I’m thinking specifically Swimming & Diving

“It’s totally changed recruiting. I joke all the time about it. Facilities and all that. Go ahead and build facilities and these great weight rooms and training rooms, but you ain’t gonna have any good players in them if you don’t have NIL money. I don’t care who the coach is or how hard you recruit, that is not going to win over money.” - Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss HC
SoCal_Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Thu May 26, 2022 12:27 pm

See Jackson State and Memphis
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball