PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team Comparison vs Last Year

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Team Comparison vs Last Year

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 05, 2022 8:30 pm

For those who follow our BB team more closely than me :

Last years team finished 24-9, 2nd in the AAC with a 13-4 record and an NIT bid.

Given our present team as currently constructed (assumes no Bandoumel), how do you think they would have fared last year? Assume coaching change is neutral.

What would present teams overall and conference records be?
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Team Comparison vs Last Year

Postby mustangxc » Thu May 05, 2022 9:27 pm

18-12 (9-9)

We don't have a true point guard and lost the top point guard in the country. We also lost our best defensive guard, our 4 best players (KD, Bandoumel, and the Weathers brothers). We need an elite point guard and someone to step in for Marcus Weathers. Add those two crucial players and we could be at about the same level as last year.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Fri May 06, 2022 8:59 am

considering the NIL and transfer portal if we can't be much better than last year then we should have stepped up and gotten a better replacement coach or kept the coach that we had.
If we didn't upgrade then why change?
redpony

Postby mustangxc » Fri May 06, 2022 9:48 am

There is still time to get the pieces we need. My prediction is based on who we have on the roster now.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri May 06, 2022 10:11 am

Total waste of time until this roster is completed. Perhaps worth discussing when the current coach has at least one portion of one recruiting cycle in.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Fri May 06, 2022 11:58 am

Agree, total waste of time, although I'll say that Phelps is the best defensive guard on the team.

For the sake of comparison, you have to shift Marcus back to the 4. Right now we have upgraded at the 5 and the 3 and downgraded 1, 2, 4.

If Jank were still here, we might have the 1 and 2, but we wouldn't have upgraded the 5, and 4 (Weathers) would be gone anyway. I think, however, KD and Alex would still have left because of NIL, so we would be in a real dodgy situation with a step back across the board.
JasonB

Postby DC-Pony » Fri May 06, 2022 12:44 pm

I'll also put out there that college players tend to have their biggest improvement in their second year. Zuric, Stefan, and Jalen are flashed encouraging talent in their first year. Reasonable to expect they will improve, and hopefully 1 or 2 will improve quite a bit this coming year. So, that will be a contribution to 2022-2023.

Nutall really struggled the last half of the season. He seemed to play fair below his athletic talent. I perceived that wasn't due to lack of effort, but he got into a shooting slump and it seemed to impact his confidence and scoring. I believe a shooting coach could work wonders with his shot. So, we'll see there.

Agree with uncertainty about overall roster. Looking for a bump through player development. Not necessary a net improvement in the overall team - unless we get another high level transfer that simply won't be the case - but a contribution nonetheless.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby MDJenkins » Fri May 06, 2022 2:58 pm

As it stands now, I see a fourth or fifth place in the AAC standings. Hi…I’m Lil Ricky Hart and mediocrity is my middle name.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri May 06, 2022 3:46 pm

My background is Finance, I do projections all the time, hardly a waste of time.

So as things stand now, we would be looking at a .500 AAC team. For me that’s good to know given all the changes.
SoCal_Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat May 07, 2022 7:47 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:My background is Finance, I do projections all the time, hardly a waste of time.

So as things stand now, we would be looking at a .500 AAC team. For me that’s good to know given all the changes.

LOL…. Residential real estate lifer here.

Right now we are comparing a hastily rebuilt handyman special in a lousy neighborhood (Jankistan) with a new build that just been framed. The framing looks pretty good. The finish has yet to even be spec’d.

I do look for significant improvements from all FOUR of the sophs.
As for Nutall: my money is on him to rebound under new coaching and new parts around him. He hustles as well as any guy we’ve had in the Jank era and he has leadership qualities that will emerge now that others have moved on.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat May 07, 2022 7:47 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:My background is Finance, I do projections all the time, hardly a waste of time.

…and I wholeheartedly endorse the post following this one.
Last edited by sadderbudweiser on Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby redpony » Sat May 07, 2022 8:45 am

MDJenkins wrote: Hi…I’m Lil Ricky Hart and mediocrity is my middle name.

and I'm RGT and I support his mediocrity message.
redpony

Return to Basketball