PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Transfer Portal

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Transfer Portal

Postby deucetz » Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 am

Can we now say that Lanier has out recruited Jank, without having a full recruiting cycle under his belt?
deucetz
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 11, 2022 9:40 am

deucetz wrote:Can we now say that Lanier has out recruited Jank, without having a full recruiting cycle under his belt?

Have to give Jank credit for what he accomplished via the transfer portal with the twins, Clark, Nutall and Frank the Tank. Difficult to compare until we see how these transfers perform and of course we hope Lanier is not finished building next year's roster.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed May 11, 2022 10:07 am

It's way too early to compare. Jankovich landed Tristan Clarke who would compare to the players Lanier has signed so far. Clarke had higher ratings, but in the end the Weathers brothers are the reason we played well this past season. Let's wait to see what these transfers do on the court before deciding. I expect at least an NIT appearance, otherwise we have taken another step back.
mustangxc

Postby deucetz » Wed May 11, 2022 10:16 am

Most of Jank's best recruits/transfers came in his last year, not his first year. Furthermore, Clark was injured and temporarily retired, so while he was highly rated, it is not the same as Lanier's recruits with multiple years to play. I understand that it is too early to know who will be a better recruiter, but Jank didn't have this type of momentum in his first three years, in terms of recruiting. Plus Lanier is going to be on the coaching staff for 2022 USA Basketball U18.
deucetz
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed May 11, 2022 3:54 pm

mustangxc wrote:I expect at least an NIT appearance, otherwise we have taken another step back.

Having any serious expectations in year one is patently unfair to a new regime.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Wed May 11, 2022 4:00 pm

Not with the transfer portal. You can literally build an NCAA tournament ready roster in one offseason nowadays and generally have to do the same every offseason with as much player movement as there is.
mustangxc

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed May 11, 2022 6:38 pm

deucetz wrote:Can we now say that Lanier has out recruited Jank, without having a full recruiting cycle under his belt?

No. Jankovich had some very good recruits. When Anamekwe decommitted, Texas (led by a coach who got Texas Tech to the national title game, pounced. Cisse has an Arizona offer, and probably will get more. Jankovich had both coming to Dallas. But it's hard to compare. They're teaching different systems and selling different coaching staffs.
But I do like what Lanier has lined up so far.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed May 11, 2022 9:28 pm

mustangxc wrote:Not with the transfer portal. You can literally build an NCAA tournament ready roster in one offseason nowadays and generally have to do the same every offseason with as much player movement as there is.

So you’re going to judge whether we’ve “taken a step back” in our coaching situation based on the results of one season. Ok.
ponyboy

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu May 12, 2022 5:15 am

Not yet but he is definitely out-working the last guy.

The last guy was very lazy when it was recruiting time. Left it to his assistants, very little actual contact with targets and no social media presence. A long list of complete misses and a few good gets that essentially fell in his lap. Even blind squirrels find nuts now and then.

Lanier will prove himself to be a far better recruiter…. Given more than half of one recruiting cycle.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 12, 2022 11:19 am

mustangxc wrote: So far we have downgraded with the SG from Marist.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge Ricardo Wright. He was Marist's 2nd leading scorer and shot a higher percentage of FGs and threes than Nutall and Bandoumel in a league that might have been better than the "experts" thought. We know Iona was pretty good but St Peters beat them in the MAAC Tourney and became the darling of the NCAAs this year so he was playing against some pretty respectable competition. If he turns out to be a significant contributor, Nutall bounces back from what I think was on "off" year and Jalen Smith improves on what was a pretty decent freshman season, we might have more weapons than we think. Zhuric showed flashes of what he might become if he ends up being the PG but we are going to need guards who can handle the ball and create their own shots.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 pm

I'm comparing him to Michael Weathers who started next to KD.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 pm

mustangxc wrote:I'm comparing him to Michael Weathers who started next to KD.

I'm guessing that's either Nutall or Smith's role this year but it will be interesting to see what the starting lineup be.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm

We have two more roster spots. Let's fill those and then we can judge.

Regarding Alex and Cisse, Alex went chasing NIL, I don't think we would have kept him anyway. Cisse had a couple of nice offers because he was 7 foot, but he was a bit of a reach and I don't think he played a ton as a senior. Very raw recruit. If he actually ends up somewhere like Arizona I think we may have lost something. But I bet he ends up at a mid-major.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun May 15, 2022 12:29 pm

Not exactly apples and apples.

Given time let’s compare Weathers to Williamson, Bandoumel to Wright and Nutall last season to Nutall this season. Seems more in line.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ponyboy » Sun May 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Putting it that way, as much as I loved Weathers, I’m kinda feeling a little bit better about our odds of improving those spots this coming season.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball