PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU MBA ranked #41

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:58 am

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

SMU tied with Boston College. UTD surprisingly high but number of full time students can have an impact.

18. UT (487 FT)
27. Rice (352 FT)
29. UTD (109 FT)
41. SMU (176 FT)
41. A&M (145 FT)
64. Baylor (120 FT)
67. TCU (69 FT)
85. Houston (68 FT)
85. OU (101 FT)
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:40 am

Maybe we should bring in the UTD business school dean. No excuse to be tied with A&M with SMU being in Dallas, and having UTD above (no matter that they have less students - it’s not like SMU’s full time class is that large either). Should be top 30 competing with the students going to UT Austin and Rice.
User avatar
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:22 am

Dean Myers at Cox was hired in August 2017 and has raised a lot of money for facilities that are soon to be under construction.

UTD dean has been in place since 1996. Previously, he taught at tOSU for 15 years.
https://chairs.utdallas.edu/profiles/dr-hasan-pirkul/

Rice has a great job with its MBA program and now its emerging BBA program.
In 2016, their dean came from "University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business where he was a professor, senior associate dean for MBA Programs and chief diversity officer." Princeton PhD in economics.
https://poetsandquants.com/business-sch ... driguez/2/
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:40 pm

Dean Niemi put a lot of emphasis on the rankings. He understood what they are - imperfect surveys - but worked to understand each one and put SMU's best hoof forward. We should be Top 25 every year.
TwoTimeGrad
Recruit
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:46 am

If you think these are bad - don't go look at the Part-Time MBA where Cox sits at #43 behind UT (#7), Rice (#11), UTD (#19), and A&M (#36). UH (#48) right on the heels of Cox.

And don't go looking for Exec MBA in US news either as that program is pretty much dead.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

Image
User avatar
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3862
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:01 am
Location: The Green Elephant

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:47 pm

PonyTime wrote:If you think these are bad - don't go look at the Part-Time MBA where Cox sits at #43 behind UT (#7), Rice (#11), UTD (#19), and A&M (#36). UH (#48) right on the heels of Cox.

And don't go looking for Exec MBA in US news either as that program is pretty much dead.


Doesn't make sense.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:07 pm

Appears we're going backwards instead of forward under the current leadership??? What gives?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
User avatar
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3127
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby orguy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:41 am

SMU will never move forward untill it divorces itself from the unacademic world of the MBA.
Who cares? Truth hurts but B schools are mostly content free B.S. Why worry about whether some college in Richardson has a good b school? They have some [deleted] poor programs in academic subjects.

Rice is an elite academic institution. However, it's MBA program has always been
poorly ranked. Engineering, literature, mathematics, chemistry, languages, and physics
are what Rice is known for. Pumping money into a business school is a fools
errand if a given institution seeks academic rank. This truism is something the leadership
of SMU has never grasped. Perhaps the Greek system itself is responsible. Easy majors
such as marketing serve only to provide a major for those students interested in
draining their parents respective bank accounts with little to show for it after 4 years.
orguy
All-American
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:02 am
Location: SF bay area

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby deucetz » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:04 am

orguy wrote:SMU will never move forward untill it divorces itself from the unacademic world of the MBA.
Who cares? Truth hurts but B schools are mostly content free B.S. Why worry about whether some college in Richardson has a good b school? They have some [deleted] poor programs in academic subjects.

Rice is an elite academic institution. However, it's MBA program has always been
poorly ranked. Engineering, literature, mathematics, chemistry, languages, and physics
are what Rice is known for. Pumping money into a business school is a fools
errand if a given institution seeks academic rank. This truism is something the leadership
of SMU has never grasped. Perhaps the Greek system itself is responsible. Easy majors
such as marketing serve only to provide a major for those students interested in
draining their parents respective bank accounts with little to show for it after 4 years.


I agree, only Penn and Cornell have undergraduate business programs in the Ivy League. It is the majority of the programs orguy listed that moves the needs for academic rank and prestige.
deucetz
All-American
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby SMU Biz Prof » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 am

deucetz wrote:
orguy wrote:SMU will never move forward untill it divorces itself from the unacademic world of the MBA.
Who cares? Truth hurts but B schools are mostly content free B.S. Why worry about whether some college in Richardson has a good b school? They have some [deleted] poor programs in academic subjects.

Rice is an elite academic institution. However, it's MBA program has always been
poorly ranked. Engineering, literature, mathematics, chemistry, languages, and physics
are what Rice is known for. Pumping money into a business school is a fools
errand if a given institution seeks academic rank. This truism is something the leadership
of SMU has never grasped. Perhaps the Greek system itself is responsible. Easy majors
such as marketing serve only to provide a major for those students interested in
draining their parents respective bank accounts with little to show for it after 4 years.


I agree, only Penn and Cornell have undergraduate business programs in the Ivy League. It is the majority of the programs orguy listed that moves the needs for academic rank and prestige.


That may be true at other universities, but SMU is very dependent upon Cox for better or worse. Last year, 44% of incoming freshman wanted Business as a major or double major. Also, the avg. ACT score is 2-3 points higher for incoming students to Cox than the rest of the university. Rice started an undergraduate business major this year, and it is thriving. Emory has an undergraduate business degree. The fools errand in my opinion is never pursuing a medical school. TCU and UNT were very entrepreneurial to go in together on such an endevour in terms of a medical school to improve academic prestige.
SMU Biz Prof
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:01 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:56 am

SMU Biz Prof wrote:
deucetz wrote:
orguy wrote:SMU will never move forward untill it divorces itself from the unacademic world of the MBA.
Who cares? Truth hurts but B schools are mostly content free B.S. Why worry about whether some college in Richardson has a good b school? They have some [deleted] poor programs in academic subjects.

Rice is an elite academic institution. However, it's MBA program has always been
poorly ranked. Engineering, literature, mathematics, chemistry, languages, and physics
are what Rice is known for. Pumping money into a business school is a fools
errand if a given institution seeks academic rank. This truism is something the leadership
of SMU has never grasped. Perhaps the Greek system itself is responsible. Easy majors
such as marketing serve only to provide a major for those students interested in
draining their parents respective bank accounts with little to show for it after 4 years.


I agree, only Penn and Cornell have undergraduate business programs in the Ivy League. It is the majority of the programs orguy listed that moves the needs for academic rank and prestige.


That may be true at other universities, but SMU is very dependent upon Cox for better or worse. Last year, 44% of incoming freshman wanted Business as a major or double major. Also, the avg. ACT score is 2-3 points higher for incoming students to Cox than the rest of the university. Rice started an undergraduate business major this year, and it is thriving. Emory has an undergraduate business degree. The fools errand in my opinion is never pursuing a medical school. TCU and UNT were very entrepreneurial to go in together on such an endevour in terms of a medical school to improve academic prestige.


Agree with this. The problem the Cox school has is that (from what I remember at least) the career opportunities are too Texas / regional focused. We need to cast a wider net to jobs on a national basis, particularly to Cali, the Midwest and northeast.

The business school is top notch and many top students apply and attend SMU because of it. I also think having a medical school provides major research funding which helps to R1 Carnegie standing. Most schools that are R1 have medical schools - there are few exceptions.
User avatar
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:36 pm

While I think the Rice Jones BBA has great potential, it currently has just twelve business required courses for its finance major. It's pretty weak in accounting.
https://business.rice.edu/undergraduate ... quirements

Maybe their program is modeled more after the Cornell BBA rather than a Cox or McCombs BBA. Cox requires 51-57 hours of business classwork for a finance major and requires four accounting courses. Nah, Cornell has an accounting major and full suite of upper level finance courses focused on IB and consulting. They allow students to double major in two disciplines (e.g., finance and accounting) but Cox doesn't allow finance and accounting because over half of the students major in finance.

I wish SMU focused more on its engineering program, like Rice and Cornell do.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:50 am

Very much agree with beefing up engineering. We should focus there and cox and pair back some of the bloated liberal arts.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12256
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, Texas USA

Re: SMU MBA ranked #41

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:31 am

Here here!!!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
User avatar
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3127
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)


Return to Around the Hilltop

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 65 guests

 
cron