PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Help or hurt

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Help or hurt

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:21 am

JasonB wrote:
Terry Webster wrote:Does today's news about the new NIL help us as we continue the journey to P5?

Absolutely. It illustrates to other universities and media entities that SMU has an Alumni and support base in Dallas that are invested in SMU competing at the highest level. The ability and willingness to invest paired with the Dallas market make us a much more attractive option.

We need to stay away from the Big 12. The other conferences will promote SMU as a university. The Big 12 will always attempt to tear us down. But this should absolutely have a positive impact. The only thing we are really missing is a travel partner. Take note of how the Big 10 took both USC and UCLA.

I have mixed feelings about where SMU should be in terms of conference alignment. The Big XII offers more regional rivalry opportunities but the ACC (if it remains what it is today) would be a much higher profile home. Can you envision a future SMU vs Miami rivalry or an opportunity to compete with Clemson, Notre Dame & Florida State in football and with North Carolina & Duke in basketball? I know it's a pipedream at this point but if SMU football & basketball can attract enough talent to compete at a Top 10 level again, anything is possible.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:26 am

crispy_taco wrote:I don’t see how it could heart. Definitely sends a much needed signal of investment considering attendance. It also makes me hopeful because although these donors have tons of money, I don’t think they’d invest like this unless something was on the horizon. I would have scoffed at this idea a few days ago, but I really think the SEC is a slight possibility. The only way it would happen is if the SEC goes the Rutgers B1G route. I know Rutgers is a much larger school and NY-NJ is a MUCH larger metro, but…. I think the SEC would find having Bama LSU Ole miss playing games in Dallas to be very attractive. This also could be a pipe dream of mine since I grew up in a major SEC school town

The SEC has Texas, A$M and OU and that combination captures the DFW media market far more than SMU so there is no need for them to expand further into Texas. The key to SMU's having conference affiliation opportunities lies in our ability to attract enough talent to compete on the field/court with the big boys. Put Top 10 teams on the field/court and the networks will ultimately dictate whether SMU gets invited into a higher profile conference.
Charleston Pony

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:49 am

We're not going to win the attendance game vs the Big 12 schools. No doubt, our attendance from our base will improve if we're playing bigger schools. We've seen it before. LA Tech is not going to put butts in the seats.

We can win the NIL game. The schools is raising >$1B for the endowment - what happens if the big donors move $50M of their coin to the NIL over 5 years? Boom.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby Oldmins » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:59 am

Just curious. Do members of any of the women teams get anything at all?
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:18 am

JasonB wrote:
ponyboy wrote:So the Boulevard Collective is one - and it pays each FB and Mens’ BB player $36K per year. How much does Pony Sports DTX chip in? And per player or targeted to starters or other? Are there any others? Just trying to get a feeling for how big this really is.

You should invest and you will learn a lot more.

We are top 5 in the country overall in terms of NIL investment.

You gotta pay to get that info, huh? Well, one thing is clear to me now: the $36K figure is not correct. And any articles mentioning it need to point out that they’re at least two other sources of NIL funding for SMU athletes.

And, yes, of course I’ll jump in and do my part.
ponyboy

Postby PK » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:44 pm

Oldmins wrote:Just curious. Do members of any of the women teams get anything at all?

According to the article in the DMN this morning, their ultimate goal is to include all athletics in the future.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby mtrout » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:07 pm

Oldmins wrote:Just curious. Do members of any of the women teams get anything at all?

This is pure capitalism and allegedly immune from Title IX. The initial release for this was pretty rough around the edges yesterday then later in the day another article came out that added some stuff about how they intend for the women to eventually get money also. I thought they would at least initially include women's BB in their Saturday meeting to help avoid this type of controversy.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:19 pm

mtrout wrote:

This is pure capitalism and allegedly immune from Title IX. The initial release for this was pretty rough around the edges yesterday then later in the day another article came out that added some stuff about how they intend for the women to eventually get money also. I thought they would at least initially include women's BB in their Saturday meeting to help avoid this type of controversy.

There are women around the country cashing in on NIL but as you say, this is "competitive" capitalism at work and is outside the realm of Title IX as school and public funds are not involved.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh ... 9716e278dc

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/operat ... -nil-deals
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:45 pm

The absolute best thing for our women’s athletics is for them to receive $0

100% of our monies should go to Men’s FB & Men’s BB.

Once we receive P5 status, then we can start paying our other athletes, including the women.

This is the best LT strategy.

Of course if someone wants to donate $$$ to the women or non-FB/BB men now they can do so.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mtrout » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:26 pm

How long until all the Spanish professors quit in protest?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:31 pm

Why would we spend one dollar of NIL on women’s sports - they do nothing to help us in this arena. Title 9 is fine - provides for scholarship equity - but when it comes to an NIL collective we are in it to win it - anything going to a women athlete is taking away from securing a better male athlete that supports our program - its win or die at this point and if we cant sustain athletics at a higher conference level we will end up having a ton fewer female athletes.
gostangs

Postby Water Pony » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:01 pm

gostangs wrote:

Why would we spend one dollar of NIL on women’s sports - they do nothing to help us in this arena. Title 9 is fine - provides for scholarship equity - but when it comes to an NIL collective we are in it to win it - anything going to a women athlete is taking away from securing a better male athlete that supports our program - its win or die at this point and if we cant sustain athletics at a higher conference level we will end up having a ton fewer female athletes.

Wrong. NIL or not, P5 conferences value competitive Women sports. If we want to be viewed big time, we want our Women and Men BB and Non-revenue sports to compete at the highest level.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:21 pm

mtrout wrote:How long until all the Spanish professors quit in protest?

Underrated joke.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:38 am

Water Pony wrote:
gostangs wrote:

Wrong. NIL or not, P5 conferences value competitive Women sports. If we want to be viewed big time, we want our Women and Men BB and Non-revenue sports to compete at the highest level.

Which university moved up from G5 to P5 due to women's athletics?
mustangxc

Postby Water Pony » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:14 am

Wrong question. P5 Conference expect candidate universities have strong and diverse athletic departments. Women sports don't get you invited; however, the absence of competitive teams would limit your appeal and whether you are 'big time."

We are excited about our two NIL programs, our investment in enhancing Ford, our academic standing, and our quarter of billion dollars in new facilities, e.g., IPF, new Soccer Complex, new Aquatic Center, etc. and brag about it.

If football success was the only factor, Boise would not be on the outside looking in.
Pony Up
Water Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football