PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

W2W4 - Maryland

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

W2W4 - Maryland

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:40 pm

- Overall, Maryland has a slightly higher overall ranking in the Composite Roster assessment for 247. They are behind TCU, and also in the lower half of the Big 10. The game will be an interesting view of how ready the SMU roster is to compete at the P5 level.
- Maryland has a stud DE and a stud DT, who will match up against Condon and Hickman. This is the key to SMU's offensive success tomorrow. If we can't keep TM clean, it won't be a great day. It will also mean limiting Camar and Gardner's time on the field, because they won't be as strong in pass protection. If Levine gets a heavier rotation than expected, it will mean the coaching staff is concerned about the rush.
- Even though Rhett declared that preseason is over, it will be interesting to see how much they leverage Camar. At the end of the day, our goal is to win conference, so this game doesn't really matter as much. I'm not sure I would risk injury.
- Maryland has an excellent corner and will use him as well as roll coverage to try and take Rice out of the game. Our other receivers are going to need to step up and have big games. This is time for Kerley, Dixon, and Knox to make some plays. Bailey is also a huge factor in this game if he plays, because their excellent nickel corner is out.
- Defensively, the loss of Levelston is huge. Especially if Aho is out and 92 is banged up. We are really running low on 3 technique players.
- I'm also concerned about how our corners will play against an excellent WR crew. Massey should be back, which is critical

Overall, this game really concerns me. I can easily see a situation where Maryland has all day to pass the ball in the first half and is able to use the time to get their receivers open, while TM gets pressured pretty consistently and the SMU offense is inconsistent.

I hope I am wrong, but I think we have a perfect storm of injuries at DT, we don't match up as well on the OL where we haven't quite gelled yet, and I bet we limit Camar, Massey, and Bailey as we focus on conference. I think Maryland takes an early lead and then holds it the rest of the game, winning 38-24.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: W2W4 - Maryland

Postby Arkpony » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:56 pm

Surprisingly, with my limited knowledge, this is generally how I fear the game will go. A limited pass rush by SMU will allow a lot of completions. I hope we are wrong.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby ojaipony » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 pm

Yep, this is exactly how I think it's going to go. I think we make a run late but just too little too late, MD 41 SMU 35
ojaipony

Postby PNW_Stang » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:56 am

Agreed. This is how I think it goes too. I think Tua is very efficient and will have a lot of time to throw, whereas Mordecai will be throwing off his back foot all day.

I see Maryland winning by two scores.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:01 am

I think the above posts pretty well nailed it. Now, if we lose and then don't crush tcwho it will likely be a long season for us. The eyes of decision makers (expanding conferences) will be watching to see how we do.
redpony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:15 pm

All of the bragging people did about our embarrassment of wealth on the defensive line, is coming back to bite us in the rear end. Number 92 Stephon Wright is not expected to play, others are listed as questionable as well. Let's hope we make up the difference in other areas, Go Mustangs!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:47 pm

Would rather beat TCU and AAC teams ... but I really want to win today, too. Beat a B10 team.
Go Ponies.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:21 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:All of the bragging people did about our embarrassment of wealth on the defensive line, is coming back to bite us in the rear end. Number 92 Stephon Wright is not expected to play, others are listed as questionable as well. Let's hope we make up the difference in other areas, Go Mustangs!

Losing Wright is big, because he is the natural replacement for Levelston. We are basically down our first and second team at that spot. Aho may slide inside, and then we are looking at Jackson, Frazier, Eby, who all have talent but aren't Big 10 ready yet. Chatman is going to have to be a superman for us to be effective in the first half. But hey, it is a great opportunity to see who can step up and play at a high level at DT and DE.

The Maryland running game has been really effective this season. I am guessing that you are going to see a lot of what Symons showed against UNT - bend but don't break. Encourage the running game, protect against the deep ball, make them take it the length of the field, and then tighten up in the red zone. Hopefully we can make them settle for 3.
JasonB

Return to Football