PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Maryland Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Maryland Game Thread

Postby Water Pony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:20 pm

Against a big B1G team, SMU lost but doesn’t deserve some of posts. We have made progress and should have won. We let them back in lack in the 1st half.

Rice is unbelievelable.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:21 pm

DallasMustang11 wrote:Man I got to question the coaching in this game. A unsportsmanlike penalty on a head coach that moves you so far back you can’t attempt it go for it? We were up 13-3 with a chance to really put the pedal down and that penalty cost us. And then the run on 3rd and 15 to attempt a 50 yrd field goal? Maryland has moved the ball all night why would you go conservative in that moment?

There were several questionable moments tonight. No doubt.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:22 pm

it was a winnable game, but clearly Maryland was superior to us in the trenches.

we certainly need higher quality at the RB position and more depth.

Should be a good game next week.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CBpony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:22 pm

Water Pony wrote:Against a big B1G team, SMU lost but doesn’t deserve some of posts. We have made progress and should have won. We let them back in lack in the 1st half.

Rice is unbelievelable.

Mediocre Big 10 team.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:24 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:Yahhhh horrible play call.

just curious, do obnoxious SMU fans visit the TCU board to comment on their play calling??

I went to SMU. (J.D.) TCU (B.S.)

Yes, though, is the answer to your question.

Well I'm glad to hear that...it makes more sense.

Just seemed really weird to have someone from TCU commenting as the game is lost but still not over.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CBpony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:25 pm

We just don’t have the dogs up front and probably won’t until we get into a larger conference (which probably won’t happen).
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby soccermom » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:25 pm

My take. When you continually try to run up the middle and gain maybe 4 yards , the passing game is going to start deteriorating. That penalty on Lashlee was BS. How many coaches do we see scream/yell at every official they can and no penalty. He got it because we were the visitors and he called them out on a horrible no call. Our defense is weak and our running game is too.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:28 pm

Now I know where all those weird go for it when you have the sure 3 points calls came from during
the Sonny Dykes years. Rashlee. :roll: Going for it early in the game just reeks of admitting you're
the underdog, don't expect to win, and have to take chances. Late in the game with about 4
minutes left just shows you're stupid. Get the deficit down to 4, give the defense incentive to hold
them, then win with a TD. No OT, or going for 2 in a gamble.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crispy_taco » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:35 pm

soccermom wrote:My take. When you continually try to run up the middle and gain maybe 4 yards , the passing game is going to start deteriorating. That penalty on Lashlee was BS. How many coaches do we see scream/yell at every official they can and no penalty. He got it because we were the visitors and he called them out on a horrible no call. Our defense is weak and our running game is too.

I’ll have to disagree didn’t commit to the run game consistently throughout the night. Mordecai played well enough for us to win. The problem was that lashlee hung him out to dry and put the entire game on his shoulders. By the second half the offense was so one dimensional Maryland was just sitting back in coverage. No one being open led to tanner having to force the ball to make things happen. Hate it when fans complain about running up the middle and then cheer whenever we break one for a long gain
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby DallasMustang11 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:36 pm

It just seems pretty clear we don’t have enough size/talent on the DLine Maryland RBs had open lanes to run through all night. On the two goal line runs they went completely untouched. Just not gunna win many games given up 200+ on the ground.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby DallasMustang11 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:38 pm

crispy_taco wrote:
soccermom wrote:My take. When you continually try to run up the middle and gain maybe 4 yards , the passing game is going to start deteriorating. That penalty on Lashlee was BS. How many coaches do we see scream/yell at every official they can and no penalty. He got it because we were the visitors and he called them out on a horrible no call. Our defense is weak and our running game is too.

I’ll have to disagree didn’t commit to the run game consistently throughout the night. Mordecai played well enough for us to win. The problem was that lashlee hung him out to dry and put the entire game on his shoulders. By the second half the offense was so one dimensional Maryland was just sitting back in coverage. No one being open led to tanner having to force the ball to make things happen. Hate it when fans complain about running up the middle and then cheer whenever we break one for a long gain

I agree. Mordecai had 54 pass attempts. You are putting way too much on him to go out and win the game on his own with that. Needed to establish the run game earlier. That’s why I question taking two deep shots back to back on the opening drive. Seems like we’ve done that two weeks in a row now.
DallasMustang11
Scout Team

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:40 pm

crispy_taco wrote:

Completely agree.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby crispy_taco » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:44 pm

As for running the ball deteriorating the passing game also no. Even if you’re getting 1 yard a rush you’re still making the defense at least somewhat commit to putting defenders in the box. That’s what makes for plays like the pass to RJ. Very hard to make plays like that without a run game
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby Pony4Life » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:18 pm

Maryland isn't Ohio State, but isn't mediocre (that would be Nebraska). Maryland is in the middle of the pack.

No Levelston for first half, Aho playing on one leg, Coxe retired, Wiley visibly hobbling off and on ... against a big, veteran offensive line - that's where the game was decided. Ponies need to sign a bunch of defensive linemen - including at least 2 transfers with some strength and maturity.

Wheaton needs more carries. A lot more.

If Kerley is out, Rice is going to get doubled during the national anthem until abouts consistent threat is found.

Mordecai is awesome. Love watching him play.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby CBpony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:56 pm

Pony4Life wrote:Maryland isn't Ohio State, but isn't mediocre (that would be Nebraska). Maryland is in the middle of the pack.

No Levelston for first half, Aho playing on one leg, Coxe retired, Wiley visibly hobbling off and on ... against a big, veteran offensive line - that's where the game was decided. Ponies need to sign a bunch of defensive linemen - including at least 2 transfers with some strength and maturity.

Wheaton needs more carries. A lot more.

If Kerley is out, Rice is going to get doubled during the national anthem until abouts consistent threat is found.

Mordecai is awesome. Love watching him play.

Maryland is mediocre. Nebraska is a few rungs below mediocre
CBpony
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football