PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ford Stadium attendance record?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ford Stadium attendance record?

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:54 pm

SMU’s Battle for the Iron Skillet vs. Sonny Dykes,
TCU could threaten Ford Stadium records

The game against former head coach Sonny Dykes and TCU was already the highlight of the Mustangs’ schedule.

By Joseph Hoyt

Sep 19, 2022

In terms of intrigue, SMU’s home game against TCU and former head coach Sonny Dykes was clearly the highlight of the Mustangs 2022 schedule. The fan turnout for the game is expected to match it.

On SMU’s official website there aren’t any available tickets for Saturday’s Battle for the Iron Skillet. In addition, the cheapest tickets on secondary markets are going for at least $150 a pop as of Monday morning and were climbing.

For perspective: tickets for SMU’s next home game against Navy on Oct. 14 are currently available for as low as $18 each on StubHub.

The TCU game is expected to be a sellout or at least very close to it.

The turnout could also threaten multiple stadium attendance records. The current attendance record for Ford Stadium was the 2010 Armed Forces Bowl between SMU and Army. A total of 36,742 were at Ford Stadium that day. The previous record was the 2010 Battle for the Iron Skillet.

In addition, SMU also set a record for student attendance at the last home game against Lamar with 4,435.

Whether attendance records are set or not, it’s clear there’s plenty of interest in the latest iteration of the Battle for the Iron Skillet. This much is also clear: if any fans want a ticket, they should probably secure one fast.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... m-records/
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Ford Stadium attendance record?

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:03 am

This will be a war!
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:33 am

surprised that Manziel and A&M didn't break the record when they came through
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:24 am

Pony ^ wrote:surprised that Manziel and A&M didn't break the record when they came through

I remember that game was close until it got out of hand!
Charleston Pony

Postby docabel » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:25 am

Pony ^ wrote:surprised that Manziel and A&M didn't break the record when they came through

That was the year we put up the temporary bleachers behind the hill as well.
docabel
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:29 am

I think Manziel wasn't a big deal till he ran, and passed all over our defense that day. Then beating Alabama sealed the deal.

I remember the 2 temporary bleachers in the end zone that were mostly empty. Possibly due to over priced ticketing.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:42 am

PlanoStang wrote:I think Manziel wasn't a big deal till he ran, and passed all over our defense that day. Then beating Alabama sealed the deal.

I remember the 2 temporary bleachers in the end zone that were mostly empty. Possibly due to over priced ticketing.

Yeah, the hype ramped up after our game - which makes it hilarious so many stupid Aggies missed out on a chance to see him up close for just $99.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:16 pm

PlanoStang wrote:I think Manziel wasn't a big deal till he ran, and passed all over our defense that day.

I seem to recall our guys taking an early lead and then had A$M backed up deep in their own territory before Manziel scrambled to a big gain, got them out of trouble and the rout began. Also remember that decision to bring in bleachers for the south endzone was ill fated. Ford will be a nice little oval once the end zone project has been completed.
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Yup, remember that scramble. Then aggies started climbing over the walls, and we retreated to the Long Barracks for cover during halftime. Aggie band took over the courtyard, and it was about as close to an Alamo experience as I have ever seen in person.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:24 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:I think Manziel wasn't a big deal till he ran, and passed all over our defense that day.

I seem to recall our guys taking an early lead and then had A$M backed up deep in their own territory before Manziel scrambled to a big gain, got them out of trouble and the rout began. Also remember that decision to bring in bleachers for the south endzone was ill fated. Ford will be a nice little oval once the end zone project has been completed.

Yes we were hanging with them well into the second quarter. After that scramble it got out of hand.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Football