PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Dykes on SMU players and fans

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny Dykes on SMU players and fans

Postby PonyPride » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:12 pm

It seems TCU has a new football coach this year — who knew? — and he held his weekly press conference Tuesday. Not surprisingly, he was asked about facing his former team.

"I don’t know (all of the SMU players) — they’ve got some new guys that I don’t know. But look, we had a lot of time invested in those players, and they had a lot of time invested win us as coaches, and that’s the way you want it, but I think everybody understands that that’s the way this thing works. You know what I mean? So it goes back to — I think I’ve said this before, but — when a player comes and sees me, and says, you know, “I want to transfer,” my goal is … my objective is for them to have a good opportunity, for them to be successful, whether its them transferring down because they’re not playing, whether it’s transferring because they don’t think it’s a good situation, they’re unhappy … Whatever the case may be, my job is to find the best place for them to go. You don’t like to lose players, but you want what’s best for them, and I think players view coaches the same way. I think it’s the same thing. Everybody has an end game, and everybody has opportunities, and you don’t blame it if a player sees a better opportunity, or if a coach sees the opportunity, and I think the players feel the same way."

(On his knowledge of SMU's players and their knowledge of Dykes and the former SMU coaches on his staff):
We have an advantage: we know (SMU’s) personnel. They have an advantage: they know the scheme. And so I think those advantages will wipe each other out, and at the end of the day, once the ball gets snapped, none of that stuff matters. They don’t care who the coaches are, or what’s going on. Every player on both sides (has) a job to do, and they’re just going to do their job. That’s just the way it is.

(On the possibility of getting booed)
I don’t care. They booed us at Colorado, they’ll boo us when we go to Kansas in a couple of weeks …. I’m sure they’ll boo us on Saturday. There was a time when I noticed those kinds of things, but that’s been 15, 16 years ago, when I was young and that was the first time that happened. Since then, pretty much everything has happened to me, as a coach, and you pretty much learn to not worry about it."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sonny Dykes on SMU players and fans

Postby Vitale » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:31 am

Does he really think people are dumb enough to believe any of that?

Either that, or he's completely tone-deaf.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Ikus » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:31 am

Surely his PR guy wrote that for him
Ikus
Heisman

Postby SMULaxer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:57 pm

Would ne great if we gave coach dykes a warm welcome and won by two scores.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby numero_uno » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:38 pm

Do we have any leniency for the foggiest if they come out of the tunnel with a Paul tribute of some sort. I'm sure with the time Sonny was here, maybe Paul's legacy meant something to him.
numero_uno
Junior Varsity

Postby crispy_taco » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 pm

numero_uno wrote:Do we have any leniency for the foggiest if they come out of the tunnel with a Paul tribute of some sort. I'm sure with the time Sonny was here, maybe Paul's legacy meant something to him.

Fuggem no matter what
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby PonyTime » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:26 am

numero_uno wrote:Do we have any leniency for the foggiest if they come out of the tunnel with a Paul tribute of some sort. I'm sure with the time Sonny was here, maybe Paul's legacy meant something to him.

Sure - that tribute will be right after the Craig James Tribute that they are planning.

Have you not been watching for the last 25 years? They want nothing to do with recognizing anything about SMU including the existence of SMU. (except, of course, for the years that Gary Patterson was helping us out before he lost to us and got angry in a press conference and stopped helping us out - LOL)

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/patterson-tcu-never-going-help-smu-ever-again-000100263.html
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 am

Sounds like Sonny was not happy with the administration putting half effort into the football program...

sounds like every coach we've had since June.

Maybe the coaches aren't the problem...eh hmm (turner)
Pony ^

Postby FroggieFever » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:11 pm

PonyTime wrote:

Sure - that tribute will be right after the Craig James Tribute that they are planning.

Have you not been watching for the last 25 years? They want nothing to do with recognizing anything about SMU including the existence of SMU. (except, of course, for the years that Gary Patterson was helping us out before he lost to us and got angry in a press conference and stopped helping us out - LOL)

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/patterson-tcu-never-going-help-smu-ever-again-000100263.html

GCP wanted SMU in the MWC and the Big East, FYI.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:02 pm

He's bending the truth. We had just spent a LOT of money on facilities and plans were laid for a lot more. It was about him wanting to be in the Big 12 and having a shot at the playoff. Then, Cincy got in (failed) showing it can be done. He was lucky GP lost his mind after the last SMU win, now he's a fool for not thinking we'd be more than a little 'upset' with him.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:06 pm

So part of what Sonny has said coming into this game is that one of the reasons he decided to leave SMU was that he thought "he had taken the program as far as he could". He's probably right. Let's just hope we now have a coach that can take SMU to a higher level which would include going beyond beating TCU more often than they beat us but also winning meaningful games in conference play, in November and actually winning bowl games, something Sonny failed miserably at.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:40 pm

FroggieFever wrote:GCP wanted SMU in the MWC and the Big East, FYI.

I could call B.S. on that except you may be right. He just didn't want to compete against SMU on an equal footing and I'm sure Sonny doesn't want to either. When SMU was set to join TCU in CUSA, Patterson couldn't get out fast enough and he probably did want SMU to go to the MWC when TCU was reportedly headed to the Big East...and I'm sure he wanted SMU in the Big East when TCU was invited to the Big XII. Patterson loved SMU so much that he was their coach when the long time series was rivalry was disrupted and skipped a year. He was the coach when Big XII covid policy said he could play only one non-conference game and elected to play Tennessee Tech instead of SMU. Keep defending him, though because he did a lot for TCU, I will give him credit for that
Charleston Pony

Postby FroggieFever » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:26 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
FroggieFever wrote:GCP wanted SMU in the MWC and the Big East, FYI.

I could call B.S. on that except you may be right. He just didn't want to compete against SMU on an equal footing and I'm sure Sonny doesn't want to either. When SMU was set to join TCU in CUSA, Patterson couldn't get out fast enough and he probably did want SMU to go to the MWC when TCU was reportedly headed to the Big East...and I'm sure he wanted SMU in the Big East when TCU was invited to the Big XII. Patterson loved SMU so much that he was their coach when the long time series was rivalry was disrupted and skipped a year. He was the coach when Big XII covid policy said he could play only one non-conference game and elected to play Tennessee Tech instead of SMU. Keep defending him, though because he did a lot for TCU, I will give him credit for that

I was in the room. He wanted SMU.

Donati is the source of your problems.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby indianmustang » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:18 pm

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Topper » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:11 am

indianmustang wrote:https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/there-is-nothing-redeeming-whatsoever-about-this-team-or-staff.238474/

Froggie Fever has been quiet of late. Maybe he is in the room where the TCU bigshots are trying to figure a way out of Dykes contract.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football