PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Upon Further Review

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Upon Further Review

Postby JasonB » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:23 pm

Went back and watched the first quarter and few minutes of the second.

1) I forgot about all of this, but little things... Maryland made a great play on the 4th down early, got 0. RJ dropped a TD, had to settle for 3. Biggest is that we were up 13-3, they hadn't stopped us at all, and first Condon gives up a sack, and then we had that non-facemask call on TM. If that facemask is actually called, Maryland isn't stopping us that drive. We should have had at least a 20-3 lead at that point, and I think game is over.

2) Our offensive line didn't block poorly at all in the run game. For the most part, we handled their 3 man front pretty easily. Hickman actually blew the nose off the ball a few plays. There was a play where 54 missed a block, and another where Bryant missed a block when he pulled from left to right. Thomas lost a block on a stretch run left that could have been a been a good sized run. On Camar's carry, 81 just didn't block the extra player on the edge who made the play. We didn't get losses, but there were good chunk plays available. Both Siggers and Lavine were guilty of flat out missing a huge hole and just getting a couple of yards instead of big runs. For the most part, though, the offensive line did fine, but when the run would take too long, the LBs and safeties would come in and make the play after 2 or 3 yards. Our problem isn't the point of attack, it is getting the guards out to the second level when they are playing against an odd-man front, which is pretty common with a new line working together. I suspect the 3-3 we play against this weekend is going to give us similar fits in the run game - we will have a push for 2 or 3 yards, but the second level of defense will come down and close the space. We are going to need our TE to do a better job blocking, and we need the guard to get to the second level. Rather than stretch runs, I would like to see more dive plays where the tackle and center seal and the guard gets to the next level. Hickman looks improved enough in the run blocking to succeed on those types of plays. I'm sure the coaches will see that as well, and make the adjustment. I think when the coaches talk about limiting the rotation, there are a lot of cutback opportunities that Siggers in particular missed early in the game, and I think getting players more carries, they start seeing those things. The sack Condon gave up, it wasn't a physical mistake. He thought for a second he was going to help inside, and then the TE went on a route, and by the time Condon reacted, it was too late. It was a mental mistake, not a physical issue. Correctable.

3) On the defensive side, the big run they got off the edge, Phillips took too much of an inside route, and Roberts was inside as well. Phillips wasn't quick enough to catch the back around the edge and he was gone for the long run. Phillips was at fault there, he didn't play his spot. It was interesting, we really tried to defend the run off tackle. We allowed inside gaps between the tackles, and our DE took the edge. It left gaps in the middle that the LBs and S were supposed to fill. We were basically trying to bait them into running the ball up the middle. The challenge we had in the redzone is that even though we would tighten the splits between the tackles, the fullback would come through the hole before our LB would fill the hole, and they would be able to get an easy push. The LB has to play physical there and hit the Fullback in the hole early so that you jam everything up and someone else can come in and make a play. It is going to be interesting to see if they can resolve that - if I were the coaches, I would have the scout team line up in power with a fullback and make the LB take that guy on. If you have a ON3 subscription, Billy has a practice video, and you can see the LBs practicing in the first clip where they are avoiding a blocker. We have agile LBs, but in the redzone, someone is going to have to take the pulling guard or FB on in the hole in order to get stops. It seems like we would sub in Burns and Reid in the redzone, but neither one of them would actually get physical. We are going to have to find out who those tough players are going to be and do some situation subs inside the 20. I'm sure Symons picked up on it and wasn't happy at all.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Upon Further Review

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:31 pm

# 1 on your list was a big turning point in my view. Insult to injury when Lashlee got flagged for protesting the non call
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:31 pm

RASHlee should have realized running game offense wasn't there in the first drive, and taken the sure 3 points. Rewarding the offense for getting us close, and avoiding the let down of a failed drive :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:23 pm

PlanoStang wrote:RASHlee should have realized running game offense wasn't there in the first drive, and taken the sure 3 points. Rewarding the offense for getting us close, and avoiding the let down of a failed drive :!:

I completely disagree.

First of all, if the Maryland player hadn't faked an injury after the third down run, we run for that and get it on 4th down.

Secondly, you plan non-conference games to win. Period. We aren't the "begging to keep it close against a big school" Mustangs from 10 years ago. Analytics will tell you to go for that, especially early in the game.

Third, the play was there. It is a lesson for the rest of the season - practice getting that throw perfect over and over again so that you don't put the receiver in a position to get driven out of bounds. The fact is, we made a play call and it was there, but the players didn't execute. That isn't on the coaching staff.
JasonB

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm

JasonB wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:RASHlee should have realized running game offense wasn't there in the first drive, and taken the sure 3 points. Rewarding the offense for getting us close, and avoiding the let down of a failed drive :!:

I completely disagree.

First of all, if the Maryland player hadn't faked an injury after the third down run, we run for that and get it on 4th down.

Secondly, you plan non-conference games to win. Period. We aren't the "begging to keep it close against a big school" Mustangs from 10 years ago. Analytics will tell you to go for that, especially early in the game.

Third, the play was there. It is a lesson for the rest of the season - practice getting that throw perfect over and over again so that you don't put the receiver in a position to get driven out of bounds. The fact is, we made a play call and it was there, but the players didn't execute. That isn't on the coaching staff.
The throw was high which gave the corner the opportunity to push him out.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:50 am

Third, the play was there. It is a lesson for the rest of the season - practice getting that throw perfect over and over again so that you don't put the receiver in a position to get driven out of bounds. The fact is, we made a play call and it was there, but the players didn't execute. That isn't on the coaching staff.[/quote]The throw was high which gave the corner the opportunity to push him out.[/quote]

Big Al agrees my friend!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby EastStang » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:38 am

From my vantage point, the pass to Maryland in the endzone was way over thrown and hot. I put that one on TM. He was so open he could have easily hit him in the numbers. I agree about the facemask. The same on the fumble, but it was a close call.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DC-Pony » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:48 am

Treadway21 wrote:
JasonB wrote:

I completely disagree.

The throw was high which gave the corner the opportunity to push him out.

You’re right. And that’s JB’s point too.
DC-Pony
Varsity

Postby Doesntmatter » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:04 am

Time to move on...that was so last week.
Doesntmatter
Scout Team

Return to Football