PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Biggest game ever at Ford?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Biggest game ever at Ford?

Postby smuhype » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:14 pm

We have a lot riding on this one obviously.

Add in our need to beat P5 schools for our own trajectory…

Have there been any games this big?

F Dykes
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Re: Biggest game ever at Ford?

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:34 pm

Opening night at Ford was a pretty big deal and drew a packed house for a rare win vs a P5 program, even if it was Kansas
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nedward » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:42 pm

Biggest in a very, very long time.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:28 pm

Win over UTEP to get bowl-eligible for the first time in 24 years was far bigger.

Late-season conference games when still in the running for a conference title are all bigger.

That said ... I hate TCU. Beat the damned Frogs.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:29 am

I remember UCF visiting Ford the year after June Jones' Mustangs had lost to UCF in the CUSA Championship Game so that game was a pretty big deal. SMU beat the Knights that day in front of a surprisingly small crowd and I think the lack of enthusiasm from SMU fans really turned JJ off and was the beginning of the end for him at SMU
Charleston Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:35 am

HorsePower wrote:Win over UTEP to get bowl-eligible for the first time in 24 years was far bigger.

What a finish! Really great win!
Bergermeister

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:01 am

That UTEP game is at the top of my list. The life after death game was such a relief
Pony ^

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:02 am

The Friday night game vs TCU when Dalton / Padron were QBs was also a lot of fun with a packed (red) house. TCU was #4 at the time I believe and escaped just barely
Pony ^

Postby SmooBoy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:04 am

2019 Tulsa game with massive comeback in 4th was the most fun ever at Ford, next to the UTEP game. Biggest game? No. Best environment with OT and storming of field to go 6-0. Awesome.
SmooBoy

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:31 am

What is the last sellout? The Aggie and Baylor games at Ford had temporary stands in the endzone and weren't filled. Texas Tech was quite full. Will SMU students be assigned GA tickets because it's expected that they'll stand in the south EZ?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:50 pm

Might have a good crowd if the TCU fans show up. If not, then the usual embarrassing company of stragglers looking for a soccer game.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:41 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I remember UCF visiting Ford the year after June Jones' Mustangs had lost to UCF in the CUSA Championship Game so that game was a pretty big deal. SMU beat the Knights that day in front of a surprisingly small crowd and I think the lack of enthusiasm from SMU fans really turned JJ off and was the beginning of the end for him at SMU

I agree with you. We had upset TCU in Fort Worth the week before I believe. The weather was beautiful and we performed spectacularly. But I was depressed by the small crowd. I tried to give away my very good extra tickets but couldn't find any takers. Even though we won that day I didn't feel like enough people cared and that did not bode well for the strength of the program.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:32 pm

Topper wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I remember UCF visiting Ford the year after June Jones' Mustangs had lost to UCF in the CUSA Championship Game so that game was a pretty big deal. SMU beat the Knights that day in front of a surprisingly small crowd and I think the lack of enthusiasm from SMU fans really turned JJ off and was the beginning of the end for him at SMU

I agree with you. We had upset TCU in Fort Worth the week before I believe. The weather was beautiful and we performed spectacularly. But I was depressed by the small crowd. I tried to give away my very good extra tickets but couldn't find any takers. Even though we won that day I didn't feel like enough people cared and that did not bode well for the strength of the program.

I thought we had lost to TCU the previous week and that was why so much apathy for UCF but I might be "mis-remembering". That might have been the year Patterson said he was through "helping" SMU because that game was during the JJ era. I will have to look it up.
** After checking, that was the year we beat TCU 40-33 in OT at their place and then beat UCF 38-17
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:16 pm

I think for a brief moment in time JJ was a Top 10 HC in terms of salary. Of course this contributed to college-wide HC salary inflation (if underperforming G5 SMU can pay their coach X amount of $$$, certainly I’m worth as much or more). Unfortunately we used little monies on promoting the product, which was decent. So in conclusion, college HC’s all owe us a debt of gratitude :lol:

As to this game, i think undoubtedly it’s the biggest game in Ford history, ticket prices prove this point.
SoCal_Pony

Postby smuhype » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:47 pm

Would suggest that tomorrow BY FAR is the biggest ever simply because of the stakes --- we have to win, we have to stay relevant and we have to do it all in front of what should be a spectacular environment...Can't wait.
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football