PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Biggest game ever at Ford?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Biggest game ever at Ford?

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:39 pm

IMHO, No.

We are caught in the moment right now, and it seems like it. But the UTEP game clinching our first bowl bid in forever was bigger. In fact, the Cavan game we lost to TCU that kept us out of a bowl was bigger.

We have a great staff, investment pouring into the program, and two great NIL collectives. We actually have a very good "program", and programs are above individual results. The result of the game tomorrow isn't going to impact that we are a program on the rise.

Optically, we held our own against a Big 10 team. And we are going to be able to hold our own tomorrow against the Big 12. Games can turn either way with turnovers, penalties, and injuries. But people are going to be able to see that we are on equal footing with those conferences, and it will be more evident when we get into own conference play what the state of the program is.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smumba2009 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:34 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I remember UCF visiting Ford the year after June Jones' Mustangs had lost to UCF in the CUSA Championship Game so that game was a pretty big deal. SMU beat the Knights that day in front of a surprisingly small crowd and I think the lack of enthusiasm from SMU fans really turned JJ off and was the beginning of the end for him at SMU

I was at that game... we were in position to win early and let it slip..
Smumba2009
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:55 am

Smumba2009 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I remember UCF visiting Ford the year after June Jones' Mustangs had lost to UCF in the CUSA Championship Game so that game was a pretty big deal. SMU beat the Knights that day in front of a surprisingly small crowd and I think the lack of enthusiasm from SMU fans really turned JJ off and was the beginning of the end for him at SMU

I was also there in the corner of the end zone with the SMU faithful that had made the trip to Orlando. It was disappointing, but sure was nice to be playing in a championship game. Hope we get to do it again at some point in my lifetime!
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:08 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Smumba2009 wrote:

I was also there in the corner of the end zone with the SMU faithful that had made the trip to Orlando. It was disappointing, but sure was nice to be playing in a championship game. Hope we get to do it again at some point in my lifetime!

Different game. Smumba2009 is talking about the first home game after what felt like a breakthrough win at TCU.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:23 am

Dukie wrote:Different game. Smumba2009 is talking about the first home game after what felt like a breakthrough win at TCU.

Except that we beat UCF easily that 1st home game after the TCU win. Maybe he was referring to the OT win in Ft Worth where IIRC we blew a lead and allowed TCU to get that game into OT?
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Dukie wrote:Different game. Smumba2009 is talking about the first home game after what felt like a breakthrough win at TCU.

Except that we beat UCF easily that 1st home game after the TCU win. Maybe he was referring to the OT win in Ft Worth where IIRC we blew a lead and allowed TCU to get that game into OT?

Oh sorry—I just mixed y’all up. You’re correct.
Dukie
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football