PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TexMex Wars

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TexMex Wars

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:30 pm

What was the place with the pink walls? It was in the Travis Walk development. Last time I went was twenty years ago.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:26 pm

Fernando's and then El Vecino?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:59 pm

I know there is a Fernandos at Midway and NW Highway. I think I’m thinking of Mario and Cuquitas. Not sure.
ponyboy

Postby Ikus » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:46 pm

ponyboy wrote:What was the place with the pink walls? It was in the Travis Walk development. Last time I went was twenty years ago.

On the Border?
Ikus
Heisman

Postby BUS » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:19 am

In East Texas there are Jalapeno Trees. Best Tortilla Soup
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:56 pm

Herrera's #1 is back. On Harry Hines across the street from Brook Hollow Golf Club. Muy bueno.
Bergermeister

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:55 pm

Herrera's grand re-opening hoopla has finally quieted down enough to get a table. We went on Saturday at 3pm (purposely went off-time) and it was only about 2/3 full. Delighted to say the Herreras' #1 platter was spot on, and brought back many fond memories of waiting outside the original location on Maple Ave. with my fraternities brothers or a date, sitting on a cooler of beer cooler and waiting for a table.

The salsa is HOT. Which just shows how out of practice I am. I used to down that stuff by the gallon.

"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby digman52 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:15 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Been away from Dallas too long to be qualified to post on this topic, but years ago I remember favoring the original Ojeda's on Maple and also frequented Tupinamba's on NW HWY across from Bachman lake for lunch with a couple of guys I worked with in those days. It was just o.k. but an Aggie buddy I worked with loved to frequent that place because he knew the Aggie owner. Probably long gone by now.

place

We still hit Ojeda's at least monthly, and everything tastes just like it did in the 70's.

Tupinamba is owned by Eddie Dominguez a past Aggie athlete. He is a Lakewood Country Club member and friend of my nephew's, so go there monthly as well. Really good Tupi's Tacos ( street taco style)

Mi Cocina is a Dallas original from the 90's, and is solid food with great scenery. So many choices, we have not had to go to an El Fenix or El Chico for several decades.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:48 pm

digman52 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Been away from Dallas too long to be qualified to post on this topic, but years ago I remember favoring the original Ojeda's on Maple and also frequented Tupinamba's on NW HWY across from Bachman lake for lunch with a couple of guys I worked with in those days. It was just o.k. but an Aggie buddy I worked with loved to frequent that place because he knew the Aggie owner. Probably long gone by now.

place

We still hit Ojeda's at least monthly, and everything tastes just like it did in the 70's.

Tupinamba is owned by Eddie Dominguez a past Aggie athlete. He is a Lakewood Country Club member and friend of my nephew's, so go there monthly as well. Really good Tupi's Tacos ( street taco style)

Mi Cocina is a Dallas original from the 90's, and is solid food with great scenery. So many choices, we have not had to go to an El Fenix or El Chico for several decades.

Fond memories of our college years and eating $1.99 all you can eat budget meals at Pancho's with their sopaipillas to finish everyone off. At least we never left hungry! El Chico's was really splurging in those days.
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:00 am

Matt's in Lakewood closes tomorrow: https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... st-dallas/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Oldmins » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:56 pm

digman52 wrote:

place

Mi Cocina is a Dallas original from the 90's, and is solid food with great scenery. So many choices, we have not had to go to an El Fenix or El Chico for several decades.[/quote

You've missed some great chips and salsa.
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:26 pm

CA Mustang wrote:Matt's in Lakewood closes tomorrow: https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... st-dallas/

I know it’s blasphemy to some, but I never thought they were that good.
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:29 pm

Jimmy’s Special at Herrerras is muy bueno. Can’t believe they reopened.
ponyboy

Postby FroggieFever » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:21 pm

I am trying to find the spiciest chips and salsa in Dallas, if anyone has any recommendations.

(Ghost pepper, Carolina reaper fan here.)
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop