PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: PAC12 Scenario = Expansion

Postby SMUstang » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:55 pm

The smartest move for everyone west of the Mississippi river is for the Pac-12 and the Big XII to merge. Everyone would benefit, and the competition would be with the B1G and the SEC. SMU and SDSU could still be nos. 23 and 24 in the new conference.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:33 am

SMUstang wrote:The smartest move for everyone west of the Mississippi river is for the Pac-12 and the Big XII to merge. Everyone would benefit, and the competition would be with the B1G and the SEC. SMU and SDSU could still be nos. 23 and 24 in the new conference.

I continue to believe a merger or alignment between the PAC12 and BigXII would be bad news for SMU. The BigXII would make sure SMU was eliminated from membership as a condition.

However, if PAC12 added SDSU and SMU before any such discussion, we would avoid a blackball by our "friends" in the BigXII.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstang » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:27 am

I hope you are wrong, because I think that is what is about to happen. The only reason I can think of for the Big XII to blackball us is the dp which happened almost 40 years ago. And now paying players is legal, and UT is out of the picture. Dallas is too big a market to ignore. The media value of the combined conference would be far greater than the individual conferences.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:51 am

No serious journalist/person following the PAC is talking about any B12/PAC merger,…there might have been some preliminary inquiry discussions last year, but nothing meaningful occurred and it was quickly shot down

There has been discussions about OOC scheduling between the PAC & ACC, which would be great for SMU
SoCal_Pony

Postby Rla1022 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:07 pm

Edit. Nvm. Post was 2010 but here’s the link https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... t.amp.html
Rla1022
Scout Team

Postby crispy_taco » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:23 pm

I could see a merger of some sort happening. I don’t think it’s a great idea for those schools unless the money is too much to turn down. Under the current expanded playoff rules, the amount of guaranteed playoff spots would decrease by one. Once the playoff expands, the PAC and big 12 are guaranteed at least one spot each. That has to be some sort of incentive for PAC to stick together. Unless they were to reach an agreement that the merger is guaranteed two playoff spots.

Seems like a pretty good deal for Oregon Utah Washington. Easier path to contention each year.
crispy_taco
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:01 pm

It all depends on the TV suits. If they are low balling the PAC 12 to get them to merge with the Big XII, then its probable. But I have heard no chatter to that effect and there are serious journalists out there digging for such a story. The only other issue is whether Oregon and Washington flee or become independent. That is wholly possible as they don't want to sign onto the current GOR offers out there right now. So will the PAC stay together for now, or will they splinter and either way, that's where the door opens for us.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Dukie » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm

JasonB wrote:
Dukie wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:Just saw a breaking news report that Texas, and Oklahoma won’t be joining the SEC until 2025.

Yeah, they've been completely unable to break the GOR, and apparently not willing to offer enough money to amend it to let them out (which if I'm the Big 12, I want the full amount anyway).

Agree with the above that the value of the school to the conference matters most (ahem, Notre Dame), but it will matter to any conference except the $EC, and moreso to the PAC than anyone else, whether the school in question is controversial. BYU and Baylor are. Notre Dame and SMU (and TCU for that matter) are not.

I think it is most interesting that they spent months negotiating with the conference about the exit fee, finally came to an agreement, and then it was the networks that said "nope". The networks get such high value out of the current contracts that they are holding everyone tight to the GOR. It tells you how much the valuation of sports has risen over the past 10 years.

True, but not "the networks" saying no but just Fox. ESPN has some Big XII rights and pretty much all important SEC rights. They couldn't figure out a way to give Fox enough.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:04 pm

SMUstang wrote:I hope you are wrong, because I think that is what is about to happen. The only reason I can think of for the Big XII to blackball us is the dp which happened almost 40 years ago. And now paying players is legal, and UT is out of the picture. Dallas is too big a market to ignore. The media value of the combined conference would be far greater than the individual conferences.

Not sure why you say the media value of combined would be far greater. i think the opposite. Big12 already has an issue of too many teams next year and the next. The various options (of which there have never been more) all want more content - not less - and a mega conference makes fewer options for fewer media sources.

There is never going to be a merger. Just doesn't make money sense. Also - Big 12 deal is set (GOR) for the foreseeable future which everyone seems to want to ignore while they throw stuff on the wall.
gostangs

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:52 pm

Most useless thread of all time? I keep getting drawn in thinking there is actual news but just endless speculation. If we actually get invited :o someone should start a new thread.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby PK » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:20 pm

^^^^ Amen
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:41 pm

This came out four hours ago. Interesting read.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/featured/ ... sion-ideas
ponyboy

Postby mtrout » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:54 pm

Tied for the 5th PAC12 option. Nice. Are these articles now all written by chatgpt?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:45 pm

Interesting counterpoint to all these articles is no mention of Boise being made. That says to me that Academics and Market are more important than wins in football.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:44 am

AusTxPony wrote:Interesting counterpoint to all these articles is no mention of Boise being made. That says to me that Academics and Market are more important than wins in football.
Except in this article Boise is the 3rd choice after SDSU and BYU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football