PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why did we hire Rob Lanier?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why did we hire Rob Lanier?

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 am

He obviously wasn't hired with the expectation he could improve on Jank's 2021-22 season but I assume the powers that be will be looking for significant improvement in the next 2 years or Lanier will find himself on the hot seat. Despite the disappointing results so far, this team's chemistry appears to be healthy. That will be a challenge for every program going forward with NIL and hopefully impact transfers.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:30 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Just curious, who are the players on THIS team you think could be make major contributors for SMU if we made a conference championship run???

I noticed that no-one decided to attempt to answer this question.

Serious question for those that seem to know a lot more about Lanier than I do:

Who did Lanier recruit to Sienna? Who did Lanier recruit to Georgia State? Would any of those players be starters on a top tier AAC squad?

Who did Lanier recruit to Texas? Tennessee? Can he get those type of players to come to SMU with NIL?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:53 am

Phelps for sure.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:33 pm

PonyTime wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
Just curious, who are the players on THIS team you think could be make major contributors for SMU if we made a conference championship run???

I noticed that no-one decided to attempt to answer this question.

Serious question for those that seem to know a lot more about Lanier than I do:

Who did Lanier recruit to Sienna? Who did Lanier recruit to Georgia State? Would any of those players be starters on a top tier AAC squad?

Who did Lanier recruit to Texas? Tennessee? Can he get those type of players to come to SMU with NIL?

He took credit for a long list of very solid players at Texas. The question is whether he can attract them to play for him or was it all Barnes and UT?
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:35 pm

ponyboy wrote:Phelps for sure.

Yes; Zhuric is a keeper and I like Jalen Smith as a player of the bench. Don't quit on Williamson, either as he's a guy that despite his shooting woes (hopefully related to the wrist injury he is still recovering from) that can fill up a stat sheet. We have a lot of bench strength if we could recruit over guys as starter. Odigie and Amrose-Hylton could provide depth at the 4/5 if we had a strong 5. I like Todorovic off the bench as a 3/4 depending on whether you play big or small. We need a strong PG and sniper at the 2 guard. Just 3 top quality additions could make this a completely different team.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU93 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:24 pm

No way Pitino was even considered. They aren’t going back to the "legend who cheats" model.
SMU93

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:39 pm

SMU93 wrote:No way Pitino was even considered. They aren’t going back to the "legend who cheats" model.

And that's too bad. Just look at what has happened down in Houston with one of "those guys"
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 am

pay Chris Beard $5M and win a championship.

Cannot imagine the recruiting job he'd do
Pony ^

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:33 pm

Lure Pitino but no to Beard. We are cheaters, not wife beaters.
mustangxc

Postby Topper » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:06 pm

mustangxc wrote:Lure Pitino but no to Beard. We are cheaters, not wife beaters.

Fiance for the past 5 years, not his wife. And when she found out that he was losing his contract she recanted the allegations. I'm sure UT will pay him off when he sues for breach of contract. He hired the same lawyer I would hire if I found myself charged with a crime so he has good representation.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Donnell88 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:57 pm

Topper wrote:Whatever you think of Jank, we have not moved to the next level with Lanier. I see a couple of guys on this squad who have talent and several more who could develop, but I don't see the fundamentals being stressed at all and I wonder how efficiently practices are being managed.

Actually, I think the team looks to be well coached. They move the ball well on offence, do a pretty good job of rebounding and play tough defence.
BUT they can't shoot the three!!! And I'm not sure that something that can be coached.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:43 pm

Nor can we shoot a free throw. They are awful!!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mtrout » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:10 pm

SMU93 wrote:No way Pitino was even considered. They aren’t going back to the "legend who cheats" model.

Cheating is no longer in my vocabulary in this NIL age.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:13 am

We are not a good team, but he deserves time to prove himself. Meanwhile, more good seats for season tickets will open up. Reseating by popular lack of demand.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby DC-Pony » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:08 am

I agree he deserves time.

I have liked that the team seemed to gel as a team quickly (seem to like each other) despite the roster getting pulled together overnight.

I think it is a credit to Coach Lanier and his staff that the team seems to play pretty hard this year. And at 8-16 playing hard is even more impressive when many teams might pack it in.

Agree the current roster talent isn't positioned for big things and we need a couple of high-level players. I'd love it if we could finally line up a couple high-end players from the DFW area that make a big impact. Recruiting services do not reflect us being on the cusp of that at this juncture, but hoping the staff is making inroads.
DC-Pony
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball