PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question

Postby One Pony » Sat Sep 23, 2000 10:43 pm

What other non-ivy league schools have similar self-imposed recruiting restrictions to those placed on our programs? Most schools I am familiar with provide some percentage of admissions for student athletes who do not meet the general grade cut off.
One Pony

Re: Question

Postby PK » Sun Sep 24, 2000 4:54 pm

That part of the recruiting situation is not the real problem. Since we do not have any academic programs set up to cater to the less academically gifted athelete, we would not be able to keep the guy eligible if he did not have the where with all to pass the courses.

The REAL PROBLEM is that we can not offer a recruit an official visit (the school pays for the visit) or a scholarship until the recruit has been accepted for admission by the University. Each recruit is allowed only five official visits total by NCAA rules. By the time we can offer one they have usually used them all up going to visit UT, A&M, TCU, etc. Likewise they have usually already decided on attending one of the other schools that have already offered them a scholarship (which we can't do until some time in January after their transcripts have been submitted and reviewed). A prospective recruit really has to want to come to SMU and be willing to wait until late January to see if he can make it, all the while letting other offers go by. That won't happen too often. This is the main rule that needs to be revised.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-24-2000).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby THE ROCK » Sun Sep 24, 2000 5:08 pm

I agree with you PK. I have to throw the majority of the blame for SMU's not being a winning program with the administration. I would highly doubt if Lou Holtz, Mack Brown, or Dennis Franchione would be able to do a whole hell of a lot better at SMU because of the b.s. recruiting sanctions we put on ourselves. How can we expect to compete when we cannot get any recruits in school. And when we do get recruits in school(Marcus Mosely,etc.) we cannot keep them in school because we do not have academic programs to suit them. It is ridiculous.
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Postby MustangMom » Sun Sep 24, 2000 5:22 pm

PK and THE ROCK,

I agree with you totally!!! I may be just a Mom, but I am smart enough to figure out that SMU's recruiting policy really hurts the program.

The administration realized the need for the stadium to be back on campus and all that it would do to promote alumnae returning to the campus. Now we need to be able to win games! The team is really giving their best effort and playing their hearts out - but sometines they are "outmanned" (especially when it comes to depth). Well, a winning program means lots of alumnae coming back to campus, and this helps not only football, but all other areas of the University as well!

I don't want young men accepted who cannot do the work at SMU. An excellent graduation rate is very important to me (this is about student- athletes after all). But it is obvious that we are missing many opportunities to recruit students who can play and can do the work.

I do hope the administration reads some of these comments and checks out this website (and the other site too,). These comments are coming from very supportive parents, alumnae and friends of the University - who think that things have swung entirely too far in the other direction ( a definate over-reaction as result of the dealth penalty).

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom

[This message has been edited by MustangMom (edited 09-24-2000).]
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Sun Sep 24, 2000 7:42 pm

Our policies suck. The administration does not relize that football brings in revenue and provides a fun enviornment for students. Well, no one is going to come to the games if the team is not good. How can the team be good if we don't get any good recruits? WAKE UP SMU, we are not going to lower the education level of SMU by allowing recruits to come on a visit before they are eligible for school. Pull your heads out of you butts, get off your academic pedistools and give athletics some room to breath.

------------------
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Sep 24, 2000 8:57 pm

What happens for basketball since many of them will sign in mid-November? I like the fact that you get highly qualified students but so do a handful of other programs. You should probably look to Rice/Duke/Vandy/Stanford and see what they're doing about admissions. Admitted before they can get an official visit? That sounds prohibitive and possibly off the mark.

------------------
<A HREF="http://coogfans.com" TARGET=_blank>CoogFans.com</A>
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Sep 24, 2000 11:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tristatecoog:
<B>What happens for basketball since many of them will sign in mid-November? I like the fact that you get highly qualified students but so do a handful of other programs. You should probably look to Rice/Duke/Vandy/Stanford and see what they're doing about admissions. Admitted before they can get an official visit? That sounds prohibitive and possibly off the mark.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure about basketball, but I am assuming these policies are for all sports. If it is just for football, that shows even more stupidity by the administration. But I would not be surprised, SMU's administration can be a joke sometimes.

I was skeptical at first when someone told me about the policies, but what has been said is 100% true. I recruit may not make an official visit until they are eligible for admission. Why would someone want to wait to visit SMU when they are going to visit UT, A&M(hahahaha), TCU, and any other good school. As I said, our administration is a joke, and a not very funny one.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football