PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team state of mind

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Team state of mind

Postby PK » Sun Sep 24, 2000 4:33 pm

This has really got me concerned. When the team entered the stadium for the Kansas game they were higher than a kite. You could see the excitment and the energy flowing and it carried over into the game. They came out for the Tulane game FLAT and they played that way. Very little emotion or energy. What is going on behind the closed doors of the locker room? Can one of the parents find out and let us know? Is the coaching staff not doing their job to get these kids fired up for the game? Football is an emotional game as well as technical game. It requires desire and confidence as well as ability. These players look like whipped puppies. What is going on?????

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-24-2000).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Team state of mind

Postby THE ROCK » Sun Sep 24, 2000 5:05 pm

I agree with you. The team did indeed look very flat when they came out of the locker room before the game as well as at half time. There did not appear to be any emotion....well that is an exaggeration, there was very little emotion.

One thing was very obvious to me and that is: This is Vic Viloria's team. He was the only one yelling. He was doing his very best to get the players excited...He was getting in people's faces (in a good way). He is really an exciting player. When I saw the way he tried to get the team pumped up at the beginning of the game, I decided I would watch him with my binoculars. If there was one word to describe the emotion on his face during the game, it would be intense. He is an absolute monster out there. He has a great eye for the ball. He really is an incredible player. What he does with the size he has absolutely blows my mind.

He is a well-coached athlete with tons of heart. We need more Vic Vilorias.
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Postby MustangMom » Sun Sep 24, 2000 5:29 pm

Go back and read Vic's journal that he wrote for Ponyfans.com. He wrote this before the start of the season, and has made good on everything he said. I really admire this young man and Mustang!

I have watched Vic too and agree with everything that had been posted about him under this topic. Keep up your spirit Vic , and your intensity. Same goes for the rest of the team!!

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Sun Sep 24, 2000 6:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MustangMom:
<B>Go back and read Vic's journal that he wrote for Ponyfans.com. He wrote this before the start of the season, and has made good on everything he said. I really admire this young man and Mustang!

I have watched Vic too and agree with everything that had been posted about him under this topic. Keep up your spirit Vic , and your intensity. Same goes for the rest of the team!!

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks MustangMom, I read the journal, but it begs the question I asked at the start of this thread. Where is the excitment, the enthusiasm, the intensity that was shown in the first game. I am not knocking the team persay, but it just strikes me that something is not right. I love SMU and all the atheletes that work so hard for us. I go to all of the home football games since the '89 season and usually sit it out to the very end of the game, but last night was more than I could take. With less than 2 minutes left I left. From the very start of the game something was not right. I know these kids have more talent and ability than what they showed us last night. Once again, the question. WHY?????? What is going on here???
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Sun Sep 24, 2000 7:49 pm

I don't know what it is like in the lockerroom before the game, but there needs to be yelling, screaming, cussing, jumping, and any other active/motivational adjective you can think of.
We looked dead the whole game, and the fans did not help at all.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football