PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Howdy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Howdy

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Sep 24, 2000 8:52 pm

First, this is the first day that I've visited PonyFans.com. I didn't know it existed until today. It seems like a very comprehensive site and the strings are MUCH easier to follow than the presentationally nice maniacs site.

I don't really know what to expect from the Ponies. Here's what I know about SMU. Excuse any inaccuracies.
1) Great new stadium
2) Focused on student-athletes with high academic performance
3) "Ugly" uniforms -- I don't care about unis, just play
4) Flanagan and Run-n-Shoot aren't around anymore (what style Offense do you run now?)
5) McCown is your QB -- right? He's supposed to be quite good. Can I assume you mostly pass?

I wish we were playing those three extra games but am glad you got out of it so you can keep playing TCU. Could I trouble you to talk briefly about your top couple standouts on offense or defense or point me to a definitive article that would do the same? Our NYC club has done a couple events with SMU and the people are quite friendly. Best of luck after this Saturday and I hope a lot of y'all (youse guys) can come to the game. Eat'em Up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FWIW, our top guys on offense are:
1. <B>Joffrey Reynolds</B> -- held to just 30+ yds. vs. UT on 13 carries but had 201 yds. rushing vs. Army. That was his breakout game. He's a RS-Soph. out of Tyler Lee.

2. <B>Brian Robinson</B> -- hurt in UT game but is expected back soon (by SMU maybe). He was leading the nation in receptions before yesterday.

3. <B>Jason McKinley</B> -- QB who has started something like 32 games. He won the starting job as a freshman. He still has issues but now the main issues are an average OL and a depleted WR crew.

Defense:
1. <B>Wayne Rogers</B> -- it pretty much starts and ends with Wayne. We have some good DL and backers but the corners are young and not too fast. Wayne is our MLB and a captain. He had a sack and interception vs. UT. He's all over the place and you should remember #10 at the end of next Saturday night.

------------------
<A HREF="http://coogfans.com" TARGET=_blank>CoogFans.com</A>
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Re: Howdy

Postby ponytalk » Sun Sep 24, 2000 9:30 pm

You can get some info from the PonyFans.com season outlook. That is located under check it out on the table of contents. Watch for it, it scrolls by.

Also, on the home page, the lastest news about the mustangs is posted. I use that a lot. These guys (Webmasters) do a good job keeping us informed.

Thanks for your info!

[This message has been edited by ponytalk (edited 09-24-2000).]
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Sep 24, 2000 11:49 pm

1)Yes, our stadium is great. Our weight room is ranked top ten in the nation, and the rest of the facilities are outstanding. The stadium is very cozy, IF it will stay filled.

2)Our academic requirments are high, which is good, it is just our academic recruiting policies that our rediculous. We have requirements that Rice, Stanford, and no other D-I schools have, and maybe even Ivy-league schools have.

3)I like our uniforms, what is wrong with them?

4)Our offense is a spread, or at least needs to be all the time. We run a lot of TE plays and I think we are always in a single back formation. Our passing game has the potential to be awesome. McCown has a great arm and great running ability, but he has not mastered the mental side of the game yet. He gets off slow. We have several receiving threats, the most notable and reliable are Cody Cardwell(25) and Chris Cunningham(21). We also have a powerful running game. Kris Briggs (24) and Jason Pipkins(23) are our backs. We need to be carrying the ball a little less and use it more as a way to change things up. Look out for our Tight Ends. Ford, Hampton, and Brown are the three TE threats.

5)McCown is the QB, he is good, see above. We should be mostly pass, but we are a lot of run. Don't assume anything with SMU.

In regards to people coming to the UH game, don't count on it. We have a few loyal fans, but not many. I witnesses many fans who I thought were loyal yelling negative statements to our team on Saturday. I am not talking yelling to the coaches, I am talking yelling to the players. And these "Fans" are the die hard tail gaters, donors, supporters. The parents are great. They show up and are great fans. I wish everyone was like them. Are student support is embarrassing. That is all I am going to say about the students.

But none the less, thanks for the input and the info.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby MustangMatt » Mon Sep 25, 2000 2:20 am

Good to see some informative and friendly Cooger fans on the board. Tristatecoog, tell your friends. Before the NC State game, there were about 6-8 NC State fans posting. It is nice to form a healty-rival relationship with the rival fans!

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Sep 25, 2000 12:09 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely check out the homepage for the season preview. The UH one (and well-done at that) can be accessed at <A HREF="http://www.coogfans.com/football/preview.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.coogfans.com/football/preview.html</A>

Steve breaks down the team position-by-position. Many of the WRs are out but otherwise it's still applicable.

The uniforms? Well, there was some talk last year that the SMU uniforms were ugly (same with BYU) but they seem to be in the same mold as the Denver Broncos. Again, I don't care. I don't care for Oregon's unis but mostly the horrific O on their helmets.

Our fan support is probably similar to yours. We have a few big donors and quite a few great supporters but the numbers just aren't there like other big state schools. We hope to expand the stadium in the near-term to 40-45K but it will take more sellouts. I'm predicting 22,000 for this weekend but it should be a great contest. I think UH is better against the run than the pass. Our secondary isn't our strong point. Eat'em Up!

------------------
<A HREF="http://coogfans.com" TARGET=_blank>CoogFans.com</A>
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Sep 25, 2000 12:46 pm

Are uniforms have changed from last year. Check out this link. <A HREF="http://www.ponyfans.com/photos/football/tulane2000" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ponyfans.com/photos/football/tulane2000</A>
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Sep 25, 2000 2:28 pm

Those are nice. That's some fancy photowork. I hope y'all get some of the Houston game too and we can compare.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby THE ROCK » Mon Sep 25, 2000 3:36 pm

I don't know if our webmasters will be able to make it or not, we will see.

That is a cool little picture section, isn't it?

I really like this years uniforms, a lot more than in years past, at least!
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN'?
THE ROCK
Scout Team

Return to Football