PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Photo analysis- Kicker...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Photo analysis- Kicker...

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 26, 2000 2:22 pm

Okay, I took a look at that photo of what I assume was one of the kicker's (Crawley, right?) misses during the Tulane game. Let me point out some things. Now granted, I am a soccer player and have kicked field goals on my own time quite a bit, so I am no expert...

First, his foot looks like it is planted too far forward. You can't actually see the foot, but if you look at his body, he is right on top of the ball, almost a head of it. Now, this is great when you are trying to hit a soccer ball in the upper corner of the goal, but not on kicks. His body language should be at least a little behind the ball in order to get some good lift on it.

Second, look at his body language. He is way too contorted. This is not comfortable for him- almost like someone has forced him to kick in an unnatural manner. This is a very awkward form that should not exist when kicking (I assume the red line is the 20) a 32 yard field goal. The kicing motion needs to be fluid. What I percieve is that he took a bad angle lining up to kick the ball. When he ran up to make the kick, he stepped too far in front of the ball and also too close to it, this would explain the awkward body movement as well as if he pushed it wide right (I am not sure how he missed this field goal, I didnt see the game). See, in practice, you can practice a bunch of times and line yourself up over time because you get a lot of practice shots. That is why it is REALLY important to get a routine- I.e. you step 3 yards back and two paces over, or something like that, so you line up correctly every time. It would be very interesting to see if he misses the first couple of trys in practice and then adjusts over the course of practice and gets a lot better by the end. I bet he does.

Finally, it is quite obvious that he is trying to beat the hell out of the football on this attempt. This is a chip shot- relax and strike it true. This is like a soccer player that gets his first shot in a game, doesnt have enough experience or confidence to just place the ball in the net, and tries to cream it and sends the ball a hundred yards over the goal (watch kreis in a burn game). Relax and strike it true. His leg is cocked back way too far, and that will enhance an awkward stride for kicking. ON a 32 yard field goal, he should have his leg slightly drawn back and just chip it over the bar.

Jason
Jason
Recruit

Re: Photo analysis- Kicker...

Postby ALL4SMU » Tue Sep 26, 2000 2:42 pm

I think this is the photo you are talking about.

\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:21 pm

Nice breakdown, Jason.

I read somewhere that Waltershied is doing the FG's and extra points for the UH game. Does anyone know if this is true?

Maybe Crowley will read that post and work on his game. Or, maybe Jason will be the new kicking coach for SMU!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby smusic » Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:41 pm

According to post on the other board it is true that Waltershied will handle the field goal duties this week.

GO STANGS!!
smusic

Postby smudad » Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:12 pm

The Ft. Worth Star Telegram quotes Cavan as having said he is going with Crowley this week and saying, 'Look, it's gotta happen.'
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby smusic » Thu Sep 28, 2000 6:59 pm

Just goes to show what you can expect from the 'other board.' My bad.

Maybe we should give Peruna a shot at kicking; wasn't there some Disney movie about a field goal kicking mule?

Beat UH!!
smusic

Postby kangaroo » Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:23 am

Interesting analysis. I think you have a point that this last kick was a little sloppy - perhaps being on the right hash affected his approach. I have read a number of posts that he should be replaced. I disagree - rather the coaches should recognize his limitations. He has struggled with the longer kicks. I think his real range for games is aboout 35 yards. Let's let his take kicks from that point in and let someone else handle the longer kicks. I think we would see our percentage improve.
kangaroo

Postby kangaroo » Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:12 pm

I just want to get in my "I told you so". Crowley did a great job, even hit one from 39 which I still see as a stretch for him. It is not unusual for colleges to have a short and long kicker. If our coaches had realized this, how would they have approached the game - particularly the last drive?
kangaroo

Return to Football