PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McDearman

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

McDearman

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:19 pm

Where the hell is Brian McD.? He may not be the fastest on the team, but he has the best hands on the team. He got a lot of reps in twoadays. He looked awesome then. I think he has had one pass thrown to him this year.

What happened? I have heard he gets no reps in practice. I am sorry coaches, but what we need is consistancy in our receivers, why hasn't he seen the ball yet?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: McDearman

Postby ponytalk » Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:10 am

I have been wondering the same thing. I have heard nothing about him negative. Did he do something to [deleted] off the coaches? What a great player put to waste.

SMU's offense has so much potential.

Our three TE's should be getting 5 receptions a piece per game.

McDearman should be getting 3-4 receptions a game, Comet 4-6, Cardwell 4-6, and Carter 2-3. Briggs/Pipkins/Freeman(should be at RB) should be grabbing 2 a piece themselves. What is wrong? We are not consistently sharing the ball enough with our 7 targets.

We COULD be a deadly offense, but instead we have Briggs running to the outside and Pipkins running up the middle, and McD. on the bench, Freeman running bombs, Comet running 10 yard routes.

Briggs is a power runner. Send him up the middle. Send Pipkins to the outside, and just HAND Freeman the ball, he will find the end zone. Comet should be running the bomb routes, not catching screen passes and ten yard hurls. Cardwell should be our guy running in the flats. He catches the ball and holds on to it, he is not the playmaker and speed demon that the Comet is.

Am I the only person that sees this, or am I just plain crazy?
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:12 am

Make that our 10 targets, I forgot the three TE's.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Thu Sep 28, 2000 11:22 am

That is a bad place to be if you're in Cavan's Georgia Bull-DogHouse. But I think it shows that complete lack of "IT" that some, not all, of the coaches exhibit.

It just hit me when you said that there are 10 possible targets (usually) 4-5 on the field at any one time and none of them seem to be utilized. At this point, it seems it will be Briggs/Pikins/Comet/Freeman or BUST.

I wonder if these options are there, but McCown either doesn't see them or does have time to go to a 2nd or 3rd option. It really scares me to think that we have an offense and QB with only one option on every play.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby Joyous » Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:08 pm

Ponytalk - You are a genius!!!!!!!!!
Joyous
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:06 pm

First off, Joyous, thank you.

Now, FWMustang. I hate to say this, but I think one of Josh's flaws is not seeing the WHOLE field. This is probably one of the hardest things a QB has to do. It is so easy to get tunnel vision, especially after being sacked 7 times in one game. This is where Josh is learning still. I think part of his problem is he holds on to the ball for too long. This is probably in part to him focusing on one or two targets and waiting for them to get open, when he might have another open.

It is a lot easier said than done. I am not getting on Josh on that post. I think right now, it is the coaches faults for not playing ALL of our talent. Once we get over the hump of getting our 10 targets on the field, running the routes that fit their style, then we can worry about Josh. I think if Josh has 10 targets, that will keep the D off of Comet and our other "go to guys" and Josh will have a little more time to see his targets. We need to be challanging defenses every play. Right now, we are doing what they expect.

[This message has been edited by ponytalk (edited 09-28-2000).]
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:11 pm

Also Joyous,
I read that post on the other site about Houston. That was rediculous. Don't let people like that get to you. That is an embarrassment to SMU and it should be an embarrasment to that website. It should have been removed immediatly, but I liked your response. I will go with you when you drop him off, we can laugh all the way home!

Hang in there!

ponytalk
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby FWMustang » Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:31 pm

You're exactly right. I cannot really fault Josh after the beating he has taken in the last three games. I cannot believe he is still walking.

I think the coaching staff is hamstringing themselves and the team by not utilizing all of its weapons. Kansas' defense seemed totally confused in the first half. I think we were throwing it to everyone all over the field. Defense know to key on Comet and Freeman and to not worry so much about the other guys when they're in the game. Not to mention the bass-ackwards playcalling w/ Pipkins and Briggs.

Now our offense is relegated to that stupid line-of-scrimmage out route and Freeman sprinting down the side line.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Return to Football