PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

One that got away

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

One that got away

Postby Corso » Mon Oct 02, 2000 6:53 pm

A friend of mine is a member of the National Football Writers Association. (OK, here's the obligatory "Not so fast, my friend!")

Anyway, he gets stuff in the mail from various schools promoting their players for awards and All-America recognition. He called me today and said he got something from the University of Minnesota, which promotes its players by putting them on the cover of really nice reporters' notebooks (it will be used every day, and therefore the player will stay fresh in the media members' minds - good strategy).

On the cover of this year's notebook? Former SMU signee Karon Riley, the defensive end who has bulked up to 6-5, 275 (I think he was 220 when he left here), led the Big 10 in sacks last year and is tabbed as a first-round NFL draft choice when he comes out.

The point is that almost nobody recruited Riley when he came out of high school. Let's hope our coaches can find another diamond in the rough just like him.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: One that got away

Postby PonyTales » Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:52 am

This year's Karon Riley? Melvin Williams!
(Freshman DE from Elysian Fields, Texas).
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Football