PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DAVID PAGE TO START at quarterback against Hawaii

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DAVID PAGE TO START at quarterback against Hawaii

Postby PonyPride » Mon Oct 09, 2000 3:44 pm

At his weekly lunch with the media, SMU head coach Mike Cavan announced that David Page will start at quarterback for the Mustangs Saturday at Hawaii, replacing Josh McCown as the Ponies' starting signal-caller.

"Starting now, we've got to make our main focus getting into position not to beat ourselves," Cavan said. "I don't know of any team in America that can overcome that many turnovers and a blocked punt and still win a football game. We've just had too many turnovers from the quarterback position.

"People have asked about Kelan Luker. We're not going to give up his redshirt year. That wouldn't be fair to (Luker) and it wouldn't be fair to the program. We're going to redshirt him this year and then have him for three more years."

Cavan said that inserting Page in the Mustangs' starting lineup will not bring about changes in offensive scheme for the Ponies.

"We're not going to change the offense at all," he said. "We had 92 plays of offense the other night (against San Jose State) and 400-and-something yards. That's a lot of offense. But what we've got to do is be more consistent. When we get in to the red zone, we've got to produce points."

Whether Page is the answer to the Ponies' offensive woes remains to be seen. The transfer from Hinds (Miss.) Junior College has little experience, having thrown just four passes in minimal playing time this year, but Cavan said there is reason for optimism.

"He was here in the spring, so he has a good grasp of the offense, we like the way he throws the ball and he has some mobility," Cavan said.

Cavan stressed that he has not lost confidence in McCown, and added that being removed from the starting lineup might be just what McCown needs.

"We've talked about this decision with David Page and with Josh McCown," Cavan said. We -- Coach (Larry) Kueck and I -- looked at the film, evaluated and both came to the same conclusion. Maybe it will help Josh in the long run to watch.

"I'd like to say this is a great move and that we'll win every game with David Page. But who knows?"

Cavan also said McCown has shown a good attitude about the change, and that he understands the move.

"I wish you (media) could do this without making it a big story, but I know you can't -- that's the nature of playing quarterback. I've always said that quarterbacks get way too much of the credit and way to much of the blame," Cavan said. "I went through it as a player, too. I think it was my junior year at Georgia when I got jerked, and I think we were 5-2 at the time. I think I understand it more as a coach than I did as a player."

Through the Mustangs' first six games, McCown has completed 129-of-257 passes for a career-best 1,577 yards. He also has a career-high 14 interceptions, and six touchdown passes. In limited duty, Page has completed 2-of-4 passes for minus-4 yards and an interception.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: DAVID PAGE TO START at quarterback against Hawaii

Postby HorsePower » Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:56 pm

This, in my opinion, is a bad move. We have more problems than those that can be fixed by benching McCown. He clearly is the best QB on the team -- by a longshot.

What we need are better offensive linemen who can keep McCown and Page from getting beaten to a pulp and who can open more running lanes for Kris Briggs.

We also need to get Freeman the ball. Didn't Cavan say they were going to move him back and forth between RB and WR? I didn't see him at RB at all against San Jose.

More pressure from the defensive line would help, too.

And we won't even get into the kicking game...
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 10, 2000 8:25 am

Why is this such a bad move? Worst thing that can happen is another loss and to discover that Josh is better than David. The fact is, turnovers are killing this team and Josh has made some poor decisions (admittedly under heavy pressure).
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALL4SMU » Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:15 am

I agree, what is the worst that can happen? What do we have to lose. Who knows, perhaps page will imerge as a total stud. Maybe it is he that turns this team around. Time will tell.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:13 pm

I hope you're right, that we discover Page is a complete stud. But at the moment, I agree with HorsePower. I think there are more important issues to address, like the offensive line. We need a LOT of OL's in this year's class.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Oct 10, 2000 2:20 pm

I have mixed emotions about this. I think Josh is the better QB, but Page deserves a chance. What I have seen he does not look that good, but then again, what I have seen is when he goes into games at the end when we are getting killed and he is very cold. This will be interesting. I just hate QB's splitting time and I think it might lead to that.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SMU00 » Tue Oct 10, 2000 11:16 pm

Good luck to David Page and the rest of the team. Bring back a win!
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Wed Oct 11, 2000 2:31 pm

I read somewhere that Page threw 10 TD passes in a game when he was in high school. If he can come up with four or five this weekend, we'll kill Hawaii.
Hoofprint
All-American

Return to Football