PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Top 10 ways to get SMU students to go to home games.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Top 10 ways to get SMU students to go to home games.

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:24 pm

I saw this in the Daily Campus today, and admittedly it made me laugh. Some of it is funny, other parts no so funny. Just don't take very much, if any of it seriously.

10. Get an actual mustang as our mascot. The concept of calling ourselves the Mustangs yet having a 6 year-old girl's Shetland pony running around confuses freshmen. Hell, it confuses everyone.

<B>I actually agree with this. We are the Mustangs. I think it would be pretty badass if we had a Mustang on the sidelines</B>

9. Fine. Keep the damn pony, but at least put a midget wearing a cowboy costume from Priscilla's on it, complete with crotchless chaps, a sheepskin vest, a leopard print cowboy hat and go-go boots. Let him run around. Everybody loves midgets.

<B>intresting threory</B>

8. Give away a position on special teams to the first person to fail a DPS sobriety test.

7. When receivers drop easy passes, hand out free shots on coach Mike Cavan's tab.

6. Spend another $20 million to hire Mike Ditka and make him wear an open microphone all game.

<B>Funny</B>
5. Since we can't pay our players, find the guy who paid off Kansas and give him a checkbook.
<B>Very funny</B>
4. Have President Turner greet us at the gate, giving each student a flask and apologizing in advance for what we are about to witness.
<B>I like the first part of this idea. The second part kinda pisses me off.</B>

3. Convert the DPS into an elite, highly skilled cocktail wait staff.
<B>Best Idea I have heard yet</B>

2. Mandatory choreographed endzone dances by fat linemen with no rhythm every time we score. Take the penalty; we will only get to see the dance on sparse occasions. (Remember we have to score to see the dance.)

1. Put the ball in the end zone more times than the opposition, thus attaining a higher total score than said opposition resulting in a victory. In other words: WIN a damn game!!!

Please guys, take this for what it is worth, just don't take it seriously. I am pretty bummed out about our record right now, and this kinda lightened my day up a little bit.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Top 10 ways to get SMU students to go to home games.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2000 5:47 pm

JUST WIN & THEY'LL BE THERE...u must remember that most of the students (or all of them for that matter) have never experienced smu winning in basketball or football while growing up...so there had to be another reason or reasons why they chose the school....so until we start winning, why go to the games???

WINNING CURES CANCER & THEY WILL COME!!!

[This message has been edited by L. A. Mustang (edited 10-11-2000).]

Postby MustangMom » Thu Oct 12, 2000 12:37 am

L.A. Mustang,

Because it is still fun to go to the game and cheer for your team. They play hard and deserve good fans.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMom » Thu Oct 12, 2000 12:51 am

ALL4SMU -

OK. I had a blast in college. Yes, I graduated quite a few years ago. I But I still know how to have a good time and I am definately not a fuddy- duddy ( I am sure there is a more hip word for that today). Did you say this was in the Daily Campus newspaper. This one even in jest - left me flat.

Do the college students today only think about drinking????

I know, I know - this was in fun, but I hate it that they have to even print the top ten ways to get the students to a game. Win, lose or draw in my book the students should support the team. Besides game day parties, the game and after are so much fun.

Does anyone watch the games of other schools on t.v. The students seem to be there, having a ball and supporting the team - and not every one of those teams win every game.

Oh, and I like the pony - a real mustang would look like we are trying to copy Texas Tech.

(And, I can't wait to see all the responses to this post. - Yes, I do have a sense of humor. Yes, I know this was in jest. Yes, I did not really take this seriously. But, I am a MustangMom and I always have something to add.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Mon Oct 16, 2000 11:12 pm

Ok, a REAL mustang would not be copying Tech, they are red raiders, their mascot is a guy, that is on a horse. I say yea to the mustang. I have never cared for the petit peruna.

The students at SMU have no loyalty to the school. They could care less what happens, unless it is a social event, then they will be there.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football