PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Hawai'i game on T.V.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Hawai'i game on T.V.

Postby ALL4SMU » Sun Oct 15, 2000 12:29 pm

Aside from the actual play of the game driving me crazy, the bush league coverage of the game made me sick. Those annoucers are absolutely horrible. They were the worst I have ever hear. I cannot believe that they are covering a division I college game. There football terminology was weak, at best. The frequently made mistakes in their analization of the game. The even did not know some of the basic rules and penalties. Then, they could not speak. They constantly fumbled words. They missed players names....It was just plain awful. I was embarrased.

On a side note, I thought the kids played with a lot of heart. I thought they were very poorly prepared. I have never seen that many false start penalties in my life. I don't know whose fault that is, but I think it boils down to discipline. I blame the coaches 100% for that.

Why the hell won't they get Chris Cunningham the ball more. That is crazy. It seems the only time they throw to him is on a little screen pass. Send him deep. Send him deep often. Let him use his God given talent. The boy can play, but only if you let him.

What ever happened to getting Johnie Freeman the ball 20 times a game. I will say he caught the ball well today. I still say they need to run a two back set with Briggs at fullback and Freeman at tailback. The guy averages like 10 yards a carry. Let him run.

Play calling was horrible, too. In the first quarter, it was 3rd and inches, and we passed the ball, only to get sacked in half a punt. Get the first down. Drive the ball.

Briggs played really well I though, although he almost killed us with a fumble deep in our own territory. It was not ruled a fumble, but it for sure was one.

I was very pleased with Crowley. He kicked weel. I think he was 3/3. Good job.

John Hampton played really, really well. He is one hell of a tightend. I was glad to see we were throwing to him a good deal. He made some great plays.

Billy Ford is now playing wide reciever. I think that is a great place for him. He will be a good one once he finds he nitche.

I thought David Page played well. I bet he gets the start next week.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: The Hawai'i game on T.V.

Postby jettison » Sun Oct 15, 2000 8:47 pm

I agree with you All4SMU. Those guys were pretty pathetic. There has got to be two other people somewhere in this world that would take a free trip to Hawaii and be able to know more about SMU football (or football period) than those guys.

I thought David Page looked pretty decent last night, or at least the team responded to him. I think he settled in after the first couple of series' and looked solid. There still is very little a QB can do to overcome pitifully conservative playcalling. I can't understand why we aren't testing opposing defenses with longer passes. I don't even care who we send deep, just send some passes flying every once in a while.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Sun Oct 15, 2000 9:32 pm

Jettison-

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that we went deep once the entire game.

And one more note....

I thought Kris Briggs played well last night. I was pleased to see him hitting the hards. What I do not understand is why continue to throw to him out of the backfield. He is a good runner, but has problems catching the balls out of the backfield. Last night he either fell down or dropped them. This is not a knock on him at all...he cannot do everything....It is a knock at the play calling.~!~~~!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby D » Mon Oct 16, 2000 12:07 am

I turned off the sound and listened to Swannie and Mark. I couldn't take it after the first couple of minutes. They were pretty awful.
D
Varsity

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 16, 2000 1:57 am

Good idea. I should have thought of that. Did they match up...I mean, were there any delays between radio and tv?
Joe

Postby AZ Stang » Mon Oct 16, 2000 3:13 am

I wasn't able to watch the game, but I did listen over the internet. Ray Canaveri is our loser WBB play-by-play guy and I have no clue who the other yahoo was. If they were as bad as everyone says, call Ed Wisneski in the athletic dept. and request a change. Didn't Mike Doocy do a few games a couple of years ago?
AZ Stang

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Oct 16, 2000 2:04 pm

Agreed - Ray Caniveri was awful. How bright do you have to be to mis-pronounce Aldridge, Slaten, Erxleben, Viloria (he's only the captain -- no need to learn his name), and who knows how many others.

And did you like that call when he talked about Kris Briggs making a run up the middle when it was Jason Pipkins? OK, they wear similar numbers (24 and 23, respectively), but Briggs is twice Pip's size, and after the play the camera zoomed in CLOSE on Pip's back -- where you could see Pipkins 23 filling the entire screen. Obviously he didn't bother to look at his monitor all game long.

I always was indifferent about the regular announcer, Allen Stone, who couldn't make the trip. But Ray C. makes Stone sound like Keith Jackson. That guy was terrible, and should never broadcast our games again.

Good idea on contacting Ed Wisneski.

Here's his e-mail address: wisneski@mail.smu.edu
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby D » Mon Oct 16, 2000 2:25 pm

Radio was actually a split-second faster than the TV announcers. I don't know if that was because Mark and Craig were into the game more than those other guys or if the feed was faster.
D
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Oct 16, 2000 6:14 pm

I think the radio feed was faster. I remember once when the guys on the radio called a pass as dropped when on the TV it was still in the air. Or maybe they are just psychic.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Mon Oct 16, 2000 8:30 pm

Not so fast, my friends!

They aren't psychic, they're just plain smarter.

Actually, the TV color guy (Rick Cowart, I think) was great. He's a former SMU player and big-time supporter of SMU athletics. We should be so lucky as to have a million more just like him.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 16, 2000 8:53 pm

I would not go so far as to say that Cowart was great. I would say he just was less of a total idiot when compared to the other bozo. I am sure Cowart is a hell of a guy, and a hell of an SMU alum.....but he is no football comentator.
Joe

Postby jettison » Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:06 am

"Large fry, pie, large coffee. Pronto."

Am I the only one who thought Rick Cowart sounded like Mr. Anderson in Beavis and Butthead?
jettison
Junior Varsity

Return to Football