PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Linebackers

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Linebackers

Postby WildHorse » Tue Oct 17, 2000 2:41 pm

We've had decent LB play this year, but not great. Vic Viloria, is a complete stud, and orey Riley, in my opinion, is the unsung hero of the defense. But we lose Riley after this year, and there's no telling how well Billy Jack Williams will recover from his broken leg.

Next year, I would love to see a starting LB crew of Viloria, Devonric Johnson (complete stud -- will be the best LB on the team, and maybe in the WAC, by the time he's a senior), D.D. Lee and Khalid Beard. That bunch is VERY fast and hits hard. Bischoff, B.J. Williams, Justin Williams (where is HE this year?) and Derek Swofford would make good backups.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: Linebackers

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Oct 17, 2000 5:56 pm

Sorry, but I don't know what you are watching. DD Johnson and Justin Williams lack in athleticism and fundamentals. DD is big, but he has not yet prooven himself. BJ needs to be at safety. He is fast and would be a great player there.

We lack size and intensity--except for Vic--in the LB position. What we need is fundamentals to make up for our lack of experience and skills. That is why Bischoff is playing. He is not a big time playmaker like Bordano or Swann. He constantly gets the job done and has strong fundamentals. That is what we need. We don't need players like DD and Khalid who are hard hitters but dont wrap up. We need more Vics and Bischoff's.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Genuine » Sat Oct 21, 2000 5:23 pm

[This message has been edited by Genuine (edited 10-21-2000).]
[This message has been edited by Genuine (edited 10-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Genuine (edited 10-23-2000).]
Genuine

Postby Big D » Sat Oct 21, 2000 10:07 pm

Good to hear from you, Rookie. I understand exactly what you're saying. My son was a strong safety last fall, a LB in the spring, and TE/U-Back/WR in the fall of this year. Please get the players settled in a position so they can progress and improve at that position. I am glad to hear how dedicated you are to the team, believe me that is the most important thing. Hopefully, when you heal, you will get that move back to the secondary. That's how great athletes are though, you play where you can help most, but you'd be a lot happier at DB, and could probably progress a lot more where you're the happiest. Keep the Faith Man, and keep on fighting. I hope no one on this board slams you, but if they did, I'm sure they didn't mean anything by it. This board is WAY different than the other one. Best of luck on that ankle!!
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Mickey » Sun Oct 22, 2000 12:39 pm

Corey Riley and the entire LB corps will return next year.
Mickey
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Oct 22, 2000 4:49 pm

BJ, I was not trying to criticize you at all. I think your position should be safety. Your body is the way it is, just like everyone else in the world. I did not mean to sound that way about your weight, that is not under your control. I was just trying to say that you would be great in the secondary, you are built for it. It seems like they are trying to force you to be a linebacker. That is not the way it should be at all.
I am a true fan, I hope you understand that I am on your side, I meant nothing negative and I appologize if that is the way it sounds. I hope the coaches let you take your time into getting back in the groove of playing. That only hurts you more if they try to force you. Stay tough, mentally and physically!

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football