PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Position changes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Position changes

Postby PonyPride » Mon Oct 23, 2000 6:12 pm

At his weekly media luncheon, Coach Cavan announced that Tommy Dorsey will start at safety, Billy Ford will start at one of the outside wide receiver spots and that Chase Schavrda is being moved from defensive tackle to defensive end.

PonyFans' reaction?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Position changes

Postby PK » Mon Oct 23, 2000 6:37 pm

Sounds like more musical chairs. The coaches have had a spring, a fall and seven games and still haven't figured out who should play what position. I predict that they still won't know by the end of the year. Then come next fall with the new recruits we will start the musical chairs all over again.

What has happened to the players that came on strong in the second half of last year? They have almost disappeared due to lack of use. Are they suddenly no good?????
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Jason » Mon Oct 23, 2000 6:42 pm

The move I like is the ford move. I like having him line up as a big reciever. That way you have a bigreciever, a tight end with good hands, and a couple of fast guys on the field at all times. It gives the QB three safe targets each pass play (the TE, tall WR and running back).

Moving Chase I am not so sure about. How have our other tackles been? Have they been that good? I dont know that Chase would help our rush out all that much on the outside, because I like pratt,a nd I am not sure that Chase is better than aldridge. I guess we need more depth at end though.

Dorsey I dont like at all. He was burned really bad in the san jose game. Personally, I like price at saftey. Rushbrook I am not a fan of *yet*. I liked Rico in the preseason, but havent seen much of him yet. I guess I would personally rather have oneil at saftey than rushbrook, but that is just my opinion...
Jason
Recruit

Postby smudad » Mon Oct 23, 2000 7:50 pm

These so-called 'safe' targets have not exactly been spreading the field like we had been expecting this year. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND the use or non-use of Cunningham and Cardwell. Cunningham seems to be our ultimate decoy. And Cody rarely gets in the game. Yet he's made some of our better, longer possession catches of the year when he is in the game.

Aldridge should have the type speed from the outside to give some of the tackles we've gone up against fits. But for whatever reason, he gets engaged in a contest of strength for which he is not equiped and subsequently gets tied up. Dorsey did get burned about as bad as any DB we have this year against SJSU. Who knows what has prompted these moves. O'Neill at least has one of the few interceptions SMU has made this year.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Mon Oct 23, 2000 9:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smudad:
<B>I DO NOT UNDERSTAND the use or non-use of Cunningham and Cardwell. Cunningham seems to be our ultimate decoy. And Cody rarely gets in the game. Yet he's made some of our better, longer possession catches of the year when he is in the game.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN! Joyous, I am sure you might have some thoughts on this. We have taken Comet out of the game. WHY? He is our best player, what the hell is Kueck thinking, look at some game film from last year, watch how much of a threat Comet was to the defense. Will Briner give Kueck a call and tell him what routes Comet should be running. Or better yet, just read it here...SEND COMET DEEP! The guy is a playmaker, but he is not meant to make 5 yard catches and screen reception. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, this pisses me off.

[This message has been edited by ponytalk (edited 10-23-2000).]
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Tue Oct 24, 2000 11:10 am

Calm down there, PonyTalk. Cunningham is a tremendous talent with a bright future, but let's not go calling him "our best player" just yet.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby ponytalk » Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PonyTales:
<B>Calm down there, PonyTalk. Cunningham is a tremendous talent with a bright future, but let's not go calling him "our best player" just yet.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, then he was our best player last year, and he was taken out of contention this year by our coaches.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:30 am

Agreed. He has been somewhat handcuffed this year.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Joyous » Wed Oct 25, 2000 2:12 pm

Ponytalk. Glad to see you "got my back". I will not comment though. I think I have enough enemies. Maybe I'll meet you and we can talk in person. I'm always easy to identify - stop and introduce yourself.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby MustangMom » Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:25 am

The Comet needs to be used to run those deep routes. He is a playmaker !
Hope the coaches will re-think and utallize him in this way. He is a threat and if allowed to run deep routes - can not only catch the ball and fly, but this also keeps the defenses honests and by mixing things up will allow us to run as well.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Fri Oct 27, 2000 12:52 pm

The wide receivers are incredibly frustrating.

At the beginning of the year, the PonyFans.com season outlook described this position as one of strength for the Mustangs -- and as always, PF.com was right. The receivers should be a major strength for this offense. Cunningham is awesome. Freeman has the ability to be sensational, if they can figure out how to get the ball in his hands more often. During preseason workouts before LAST season, Cardwell was supposed to be a major steal. McDearman catches everything. Carter looked like he may have started to get it in the UTEP and NCState games -- so of course he hasn't been on the field since. The coaches seem to like Joeckel .... who has managed to get himself suspended.

Why can we not get the ball to these guys? McCown and Page are decent QB's. Not great, but certainly decent. Every team in the country gets big plays off that wide receiver screen, but when we try it -- even to the speed guys like Cunningham and Freeman -- the receiver ends up getting mangled within a yard of the line of scrimmage.

These guys have talent. The offense needs to change to utilize their talents.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby smudad » Fri Oct 27, 2000 5:55 pm

That WR screen nearly got The Comet killed up at Kansas last year. It sems to be a timimg thing and they haven't getten it down.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Fri Oct 27, 2000 7:28 pm

They also don't get the necessary blockers out there in time to create any lanes for him to run through.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Oct 27, 2000 9:46 pm

Send Comet Deep! Just Do it!
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football