PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN article on Admissions....USC or ND ????

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN article on Admissions....USC or ND ????

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:15 am

its a start but.....

what about notre dame & usc??????? how can u do a study w/o two top-flight quality programs????

is this 'slanted' or what??? i hope someone asks that question!

try this link.... <A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/othersports/198359_smulede_24spo..html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/othersports/198359_smulede_24spo..html</A>

Re: DMN article on Admissions....USC or ND ????

Postby PonyPower » Tue Oct 24, 2000 11:04 am

This is a GREAT first step. We certainly don't want to drift into the world of academic mediocrity that surrounds so many other schools, but we have to allow ourselves a chance to compete for recruits. Good judgement can allow for modification -- not a complete overhaul -- of the system that can let us compete for excellent recruits.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:13 pm

This is the first step in the right direction.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Oct 24, 2000 1:04 pm

I want to show appreciation to Rana Cash for this article. Looks to me like there was a little research done here. Also, the more press on this topic, the chances something will change increases.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Mickey » Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:04 pm

Just another delay! This study should have been done a long time ago and the problem already rectified.

Just curious- why is TCU not in the study? What about Notre Dame, USC, Miami, and Duke (at least in BB)? These private schools are succesful in athletics.

Are they studying the succesful private school athletic programs or just the poor to mediocre ones?

Now we will study this to death. No action though.

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 10-24-2000).]
Mickey
All-American

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 24, 2000 10:59 pm

that's a good points.......

i did 'read' on oneof the message boards that there are over 50 schools in the study & that the dmn article only mentioned the 'poorer' schools u mentioned.....that's my point as well......is it a TRUE study or just another farce???

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:20 am

A source in the athletic department thinks that we intentionally do not want to copy TCU, because while they have had a resurgence on the football field in recent years -- for which they are to be congratulated -- the administrators do not consider TCU to be an academic peer.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby KP » Wed Oct 25, 2000 7:14 pm

Yes I also read somewhere, I think it was on ESPN about how much TCU is spending on the LT Heisman hype, around $90k is the rumor. Then it went on to say how that money could have been better spent on educating the players since the football team had a 42% graduation rate, 10% below national average. Now I don't know about you, but that is not something I want to compare our program too. Here is the page, its on the ESPN Movers and Shakers column.
<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/moversandshakers/834027.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/moversandshakers/834027.html</A>
KP

Return to Football