PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why SMU Will Go 6-6 THIS YEAR!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why SMU Will Go 6-6 THIS YEAR!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 25, 2000 2:41 am

I was bored and decided to do a not-so in depth analysis of how SMU has done this year and how we should do for the rest of the season. Keep in mind that this is none too serious, as the results of my research are skewed to no end. Such as, the season is far from over and a number of factors could change all of this. Image But I do believe SMU can go 6-6 this season. And here's why:

===============================

WHY IS SMU 1-6 RIGHT NOW?

SMU 31, Kansas 17
-----------------
Kansas (5-3) has gone on to defeat a UAB (5-2) and a Colorado team that is much better than what their record states. Their only two other losses have come at the hands of #2 Oklahoma and #10 Kansas State.

SMU 20, UTEP 37
---------------
UTEP (6-2) losses are from Texas A&M and #2 Oklahoma. They are a damn good football team.

SMU 0, North Carolina St. 41
----------------------------
North Carolina St. (5-1) only lost to #7 Clemson. A very damn good football team.

SMU 17, Tulane 29
-----------------
Tulane (3-4) has also played its share of tough teams, with losses to Mississippi, East Carolina, and #15 Southern Miss. They also lost a close game to a bad Army team, but it was an off day for them I guess.

SMU 15, Houston 17
------------------
Houston (3-4) has lost a close game to Rice, and game to a good LSU team, #21 Texas and Cincinnati, another good team considering their schedule.

SMU 10, San Jose St. 35
-----------------------
San Jose St. (5-3) three losses have come to #1 Nebraska, a USC team that was ranked at one point in time, and UTEP. Almost beating Nebraska makes you a pretty good team by default, so there.

SMU 15, Hawai'i 30
------------------
Jet lag.

This leaves SMU with a 1-6 record, beating a Kansas team which has since only lost to ranked teams. Five of the losses came from a tough schedule, games that could have been won but for some reason or another were not, and then you have the jet lag factor. So where does this put SMU now?

WHY WILL SMU WIN ITS NEXT FIVE GAMES?

Nevada (1-6)
------------
The only team Nevada has beaten this year is a 1-7 Wyoming team. Given that it is our Homecoming, we should easily take this game.

Rice (2-5)
----------
Rice did beat Houston, but their only other win came against Hawai'i. And they are playing TCU next week away, who should beat them, so we will have the momentum going into the game with our one game winning streak. It will be close, but SMU can win this game.

Tulsa (3-5)
-----------
Their losses have all come against respectable schools, but two of their victories have come against Rice (who we will beat) and Hawai'i (jet lag). The other one was against Louisiana Tech, who stands at 2-6. Look for McCown to be seeking revenge since Tulsa defeated his younger brother's team. This one is a shootout, but SMU wins again and has now won three in a row.

Fresno State (3-3)
------------------
Are we noticing that the schedule is getting tougher as SMU marches towards a .500 record? Fresno State's three victories have come against opponents with a combined record of 5-16. Unfortunantly, their three losses have come against opponents with a combined record of 16-6. SMU will have a record of 4-6 entering this game, and it is a home game, and we did beat them last year after dropping 5 straight games. So with a winning streak and the intimidation factor, we will put up a solid victory against them.

TCU (6-0)
---------
TCU could very well be 10-0 at this point in the season when they travel to Ford Stadium to take on the 5-6 Mustangs. And who better than to spoil their perfect record than us? No, it won't be easy, but with a sold out home crowd cheering on the mighty SMU Mustangs, we will do onto them as they did onto us in 1997 - defeat them in the last game of the season. Although we cannot spoil their bowl hopes as they did to us, it will still be awesome.

Keep in mind that a) it's all speculation and wild theories, and b) it will happen - SMU will sport a .500 record at the end of this season. And beating TCU - who knows, a bowl game perhaps? All is good for the Ponies. I hope to see you all out at the Boulevard at 8am this Saturday, ready to cheer the Mustangs to their first victory since Kansas! GO MUSTANGS!

[This message has been edited by SPEBobbyG (edited 10-25-2000).]

Re: Why SMU Will Go 6-6 THIS YEAR!

Postby MustangFan » Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:16 am

SPEBobbyG -

Are you serving Bloody Mary's at 8 A.M.?

I like your theories. They're nuts, but I like them. Somehow I don't think the beating San Jose State took from Nebraska (42-7, wasn't it? Or was it even worse?) constitutes ALMOST beating Nebraska. And rest assured that if The Ponies reel off four straight wins, the little froggies will not be lookin past us. Coach Fran will do his best Lou Holtz impression, insisting that his little TCU team couldn't possibly keep up with the hottest team in America. Our best hope for beating TCU is to sneak up on that game QUIETLY, not on any kind of a win streak. And at this point, with a bowl game firmly out of the question, beating the little froggies would make the season for me.

[This message has been edited by MustangFan (edited 10-25-2000).]
MustangFan
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:36 am

SPEBobbyG?

Are you smoking crack?
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 25, 2000 2:37 pm

My bad. I was thinking of another game, Nebraska did whoop up on them. But I still stick by my original prediction . . . my methods are just for fun, but I do think one way or another, 6-6 will be done.

Postby MustangMom » Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:20 am

SPEBobbyG,

Good post. Hope you are right - and I think you are. Go Mustangs!!! This Mustang fan is still rootin' for you.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Return to Football