PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

the tug-of-war competition

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

the tug-of-war competition

Postby ponyjim » Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:25 am

tonight at the kickoff competition there was a little tug-of-war competition.

let me first say this, i was EXTREMELY pleased with the participation of the student body! good job, students for being so vocal!

anyway, the football team competed against the Pike-Chi O tug-of-war team and the football players/cheerleaders lost!

i will say that cheerleaders are small and the football team members involved were red shirts, but still....

i don't quite know what to think.

jim

P.S. i thought Cavan was very articulate tonight. Good luck Saturday, Ponies!!

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Re: the tug-of-war competition

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:16 pm

I was there also, it did not look good that the football team lost, but they were outnumbered I believe. And the Pikes that were there were very large individuals. Also, the girls on the opposite team were large also. But never the less, it did not look good.

Now, I think a student attendance record was set last night at Ford Stadium. That is pathetic. The program that was put on, or what I saw of it, was a bunch of karaoke singing, that sounded terrible, but the frats and sororities cheered their mouths off. What does it take to have this at a football game? I just don't get it, karaoke, everyone comes and is excited, football game with tailgating, no attendance.
When the football team was out there and the cheerleaders lead cheers and the band played I was disgusted, that was pure fakeness by the fans. They were so into it like they have been behind the football team all along and like they go out every game and stay to the end. I guess that is what happens when they have to act in front of rushees.

Why don't you all come out to every game, win or loose. You can still have that kind off fun. Maybe throw some idiot on the field with a mic to Karaoke. If that is what it takes to keep the students there then lets do it.

Maybe I am wrong about all of this, maybe this is the first step to getting students to the game, but I doubt that.
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ponyjim » Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:35 pm

SMUPonyfan,
no rushees of mine were there.

i thought the singing was awful too.

be happy people were there to support the team.

every game i go to i DO participate in the cheers. i will say that half of the girls didn't even know the damn cheers or even when to rythmically throw the pony ears .

thank you for doing what i was hesitant to do (clarify the size of the Chi- O's vs. the cheerleaders.

students were there, let's be happy that there were the numbers and not worry about why they were there. i'm sure that a good portion were there to truly support the team. good luck this weekend against Nevada!

------------------
Go Ponies!

[This message has been edited by ponyjim (edited 10-26-2000).]
Go Ponies!
ponyjim
Scout Team

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:56 pm

ponyjim, I respect your loyalty, but lets be realistic, the students were not there to see the football team. They were there to see their fellow brother or sister that is on the homecoming court. That is the only reason.
Ford Stadium was just the location for the event. Had very little to do with football. So yes, I am happy that there was student support for the homecoming court.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SMUPonyFan (edited 10-26-2000).]
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ponyjim » Fri Oct 27, 2000 3:11 am

it's true, it's true

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!