PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Skip Jones, don't get carried away!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Skip Jones, don't get carried away!

Postby WildHorse » Tue Oct 31, 2000 2:09 pm

Skip Jones (a.k.a. "Amit from SMU" to listeners of The Ticket) wrote a story for the Daily Campus (see the link on the PonyFans.com home page) in which he calls P Colin Vadheim "perhaps the best player on the team" this year.

Amit: back away from the barstool -- you've had enough.

How many punts has Vadheim had blocked? 5? Much of the blame obviously falls on the blockers, but there's also the issue that he doesn't get the ball off quickly enough. And it's not like he's unleashing 48-yard bombs every game. Once in a while, Vadheim drills one, but his inconsistency leaves his average below 40 yards per punt, and he hasn't made a habit of dropping the ball inside the opponent's 10 or even their 20 yard line.

Discussions of this year's best player should start with players like Vic Viloria (my vote), Johnnie Freeman, Kris Briggs, Chase Schavrda, Chris Cunningham (although he has been under-used), John Hampton, Billy Ford or even Josh McCown/David Page.

Vadheim isn't bad. But he isn't close to being our best player.

[This message has been edited by WildHorse (edited 10-31-2000).]
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: Skip Jones, don't get carried away!

Postby ALL4SMU » Tue Oct 31, 2000 6:25 pm

There is plenty of talent on this team IMO. Briggs, Cunningham, Freeman, Schavrda, Page, McCown, Garrett, etc... To call Vadheim the best player on the team may be somewhat of an overstatement, but to ignore what he has done would not be right. He has been a good player for us thus far, but not the BEST player.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby smudad » Tue Oct 31, 2000 6:25 pm

So far Kris Briggs gets my vote. He's done nothing spectacular(although last week wasn't chopped liver). He just seems to show up and do his job each week. It also seems he's asked to do a lot of things.

Come to it, I think I'm ready for a two back offense again.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Oct 31, 2000 6:29 pm

WildHorse is right. Vic Viloria.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Tue Oct 31, 2000 11:35 pm

I think Briggs is great, but he does not have it going the whole game. He runs hard periodically. Like against Nevada, it was clicking the second half only. I think when he is not playing to his potential, Pipkins needs to be in the game. Pipkins is great and provides a great spark, but the coaches are only using him to give Briggs a breather--that is wrong.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Houston Pony » Fri Nov 03, 2000 8:10 pm

Vadheim is, without question, our best player. Look what he did during homecoming. Skip Jones is brilliant.
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Mon Nov 06, 2000 1:32 pm

Note to Houston Pony:

Back away from the margarita machine -- you've had enough!
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby ponytalk » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:37 pm

No he is not our best player, yes he has a chance in the NFL. He has A LOT of potential.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:39 pm

And is Skip Jones the guy from the Daily Campus? If so, every article that I have read about football from that newpaper has been below bad. Wrong names, stats, and poor questions.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Tue Nov 07, 2000 8:04 pm

That is the same Skip Jones (Daily Campus). Had a chance to go to a media lunch a few weeks ago - you should see Cavan roll his eyes when Skip asks his so-called "questions". Doesn't surprise me that he gets stats, names, etc., wrong. He rarely seems to know what's going on, and seems to think his habit of sucking up to the Ticket makes him a journalist, or at least knowledgeable about sports -- neither of which is an accurate description.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football