PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Now what?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Now what?

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Nov 06, 2000 12:34 pm

So .... who's coaching this team at the end of November?
Hoofprint
All-American

Re: Now what?

Postby 91Stang » Mon Nov 06, 2000 9:41 pm

I vote for Hardy McCrary. If he's as good a recruiter as they say on PonyFans.com, there's no other choice. Get the wheels in motion.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:28 pm

This is what I think:
There are many people that think our coaching staff should be fired. There are many that don't. Here are some facts. It takes some coaches a while to bring a good program to a struggling athletic program. It takes great coaches two years to turn a program around. Look at Jackie Sherril and Lou Holts. They are great coaches. I think everyone knows that we do not have great coaches.
If we do get a new coach, I will be pissed if it is not an awesome coach. SMU has never had a true awesome, established coach in its history. If we are going to fire our current staff and get some unprooven coach, that is a waste of money and time.
I laugh when I read all of these opinions on if we should fire or keep our coach. If people really believed that Cavan and his staff would have turned our program around in less than 5 years they are insane. He was unprooven when he came here. When he wins, people say he is ok, when he looses, people say fire him. Make up your mind fair weather fans. Cavan does not go from good coach to bad coach from game to game. He is always good or bad. Look past the W or L, look at the opponent, how the team played, mistakes, etc.
Here is what I am trying to say. If you want to have a mediocre program keep Cavan, do not get another coach. A new unprooven legendary coach will make us worse. If you want to win and be a contender, we are going to have to sign a coach and pay an absurd amount, which is fine in my book.

SMU's football problems are more than just the coach. Our total program is not committed to winning. Here is what a new coach would bring. Let's just say we got someone of Lou Holts' caliber. He would want a new strength coach and program. This is one of our flaws. He would demand changes in recruiting, which could be changes if the coach was of a high enough caliber. He would demand changes in a lot of the little aspects of our program: academics(making sure people like Pratt do not fail) and nutrition. A generic, new head would not bring any of this. Though he might want changes, the boosters have not paid a ton of money, so they will not help push.
We need more than a new head coach, we need a face lift in our operations. A Lou Holts and Jackie Sherill bring this.

91stang, you mention Hardy McCrary, ok, so he might recruit, can he coach? What is his experience?
If you want to throw out names people have not heard of, or names that have not been at a true big time D-I program and they have never turned the program around, don't waste my, or any other PonyFans, time.
Firing Cavan is not the answer. Hiring a top twenty coach is.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby 91Stang » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:36 pm

Ponytalk --

You made some good points, until the end there. You bashed my idea of Hardy McCrary? He is exactly the same as Bob Stoops was before he got the head coaching gig at Oklahoma. Before he got to OU, he was a defensive assistant at Florida -- which I believe qualifies as a "big-time program" -- and was widely known as a superior recruiter. McCrary is a defensive assistant at Texas -- which I also believe qualifies as a "big-time program" -- and is widely known as a superior recruiter.

I have no doubt that Stoops is an exceptional coach. But he also has assembled a terrific staff of capable coaches around him. Hire McCrary and let him do the same thing here.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Return to Football