PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Remedies for what ails us (keys to beating Tulsa)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Remedies for what ails us (keys to beating Tulsa)

Postby Horseshoe » Mon Nov 06, 2000 1:31 pm

We can beat the Golden Hurricane, and here's how:

* Start Josh McCown. Page was a nice change of pace, and maybe he provided a bit of an ego-check to McCown. But McCown, despite his interception problems earlier this year, gives us our best chance to win.

* Get the ball to Cunningham more. These wide receiver screens we've thrown to him all year are nice, but they'll only work when we establish a vertical passing game that has the defense backed off the line a little, and afraid of a deep pass. Until we show them we can complete a pass of more than 10 yards, they're going to stack the line of scrimmage, shutting off the running game (see Kris Briggs Saturday against Rice) and smothering short passes. Instead of throwing quick screen passes to Cunningham and calling that "getting him involved" .... mix up his routes. When's the last time we saw Comet go deep? If not on a fly route (down the sideline), how about a post down the middle? He can really run, and we're not taking advantage of that. If we keep throwing him these screens -- especially with no blockers out there -- we're going to get him killed.

(Speaking of which, Comet is small and super-fast, while Billy Ford is huge and not so fast. Why is Ford running outside, and Comet in the slot? Wouldn't our offense be more effective with Ford running over people in the middle of the field, and Comet streaking down the sideline?)

* Get more pressure on the quarterback. Do whatever it takes -- stunts, blitzes, etc. -- but we've got to shorten the amount of time opposing QB's have to throw the ball. Forcing quick throws leads to bad passes (translation: INTERCEPTIONS).

* Give more playing time to Leroy Price and Ruben Moodley. Shane O'Neill is a nice player but simply doesn't have the speed to make the plays back there.

* Somehow, someone has to make some plays on special teams. Block a punt (have we gotten near the opponent's punter since the Kansas game?), break a long return, force a fumble. We need some big plays on special teams.

* Recognize what the opposing defense is giving. I think we all understand Cavan's fondness for establishing the run, but when it's not there, it's useless to keep pounding away with Briggs and Freeman. Briggs got some nice yards Saturday -- after Rice had the game won and they simply wanted to run out the clock. Those were charity yards. When the game mattered, he was getting killed. That's not an indictment of his ability -- Briggs is a great back -- but he just never had a chance. That can be attributed in part to shoddy blocking by the line.

* What happened to Kueck's innovative offense? When he was (re)hired this year, he was hailed as an offensive genius (after running offenses that put up numbers at Marshall and Southern Miss). After the win against Kansas, he was said to have this creative mind that left defenses scrambling to figure out what he'd do next. Remember those creative plays he pulled out against KU (McCown rolled to his left, drew the defense to him and then whirled around and fired across the field to a wide-open Kris Briggs? Reverses?) I realize the coaches want to simplify the offense in the hope of reducing mistakes. But simplifying the offense also allows the defense to figure it out. Mix it up a little more!
Horseshoe
All-American

Re: Remedies for what ails us (keys to beating Tulsa)

Postby smudad » Mon Nov 06, 2000 8:28 pm

I agree with many of your points. One I'll agree with for another reason. Ford beat a RICE defender deep, early Saturday. However, he was caused to lose concentration and dropped the ball. That's lack of experience running deep routes. The Comet is accustomed to streaking and catching at full stride. He also knows how to adjust to a deep ball. The inexperienced Ford keeps running and hoping (against hope) that the ball will adjust to him. It's the toughest assignment to get used to as a wide receiver. Ford should be asked to catch it in traffic. Comet needs to help, along with Freeman, stretch the field.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Mon Nov 06, 2000 9:07 pm

SMUDad - couldn't have said it better myself. Let's hope Cavan and his assistant coaches read your advice.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:04 pm

First, to Horseshoe:
Nice points, but I disagree with one or two. Yes we should get the ball to Comet deep, but you said those screens to him are nice. No way, nice for the other team to pound him. I think those stupid screens could be the worst play calling I have ever seen.

Second, to Hoofprint and Horseshoe combined. I think our coaches are too stuborn to change anything. I am sure they read what is said on these boards, but they have to have it their way, or the highway. That is why we are yet to see Comet go deep, or BJ get put to Safety or any other changes that are so ovious to figure out. Coaches do not change. That is why we try to establish our running game when we could have a threatening offense with 7 passing targets. I think these coaches have their heads up their you know whats and it is going to cost them their job.

Sorry for spelling mistakes, but I am tired and dont feel like proof reading.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:22 pm

When I said they were nice, i was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. They are nice, in theory -- teams like Florida and Kentucky run the same plays and their guys get 80 touchdowns every now and then. And it's not from a complete lack of speed here -- Freeman and Cunningham can run. But if we can complete even a couple of deep passes, the defense will have to respect the long ball and will back up. That, coupled with an actual block or two, might open up those wide receiver screens for real yardage -- and let us see the ability that we all know Comet has. He has been completely handcuffed by the offense this year, and he's too talented to waste like that. (I know, he's leading the team in receptions -- but he hasn't been as explosive as he was last year.)
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Thu Nov 09, 2000 2:51 pm

Point taken, I guess I took that too seriously. I think another thing we must do to beat Tulsa is utilize ALL of our RB's.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football