PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Show me the money...Famous movies with SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Show me the money...Famous movies with SMU

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:33 pm

On a lighter side, has anyone else noticed that there is a 5-10 second scene in JERRY MAGUIRE where they are in an office and there is a framed poster of...

...Ramon Flanigan in an SMU Uniform.

At least we've been in the movies. TCU got the big fat guy wearing the old TCU ripped jersey in TIN CUP.

Any other flashes?
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Re: Show me the money...Famous movies with SMU

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:37 pm

Dallas Hall appears in a scene in Born On The Fourth Of July starring Tom Cruise.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoRedGoBlue:
<B>On a lighter side, has anyone else noticed that there is a 5-10 second scene in JERRY MAGUIRE where they are in an office and there is a framed poster of...

...Ramon Flanigan in an SMU Uniform.

At least we've been in the movies. TCU got the big fat guy wearing the old TCU ripped jersey in TIN CUP.

Any other flashes?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I noticed that the first time I saw the movie, and I have stopped the movie at that point many times to point it out. Also, when Tom Cruise's character is at "the quarterback's" home there are SMU banners on the wall. You have to look carefully for those.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:59 pm

Born on the forth has MANY scenes from SMU (side of Dallas Hall during the protest, McFarlin Auditorium's steps are the supposed female dormatory steps).
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby MustangSally » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:04 am

There was an episode of the Drew Carey show a few years ago that had some weird intro showing all these old black and white clips from the 50's: lady cooking in the kitchen, kids playing, people in 3-d movie theater, etc. Anyhow there was one shot of like 3 kids on pogo sticks on the main quad of SMU with Dallas Hall featured prominently in the background. Who knows where they dug that footage up.
Also, there was some bad made-for-tv movie starring Chuck Norris as a guy fighting against a terrorist bomb attack (came out right around 9-11) and he was supposedly a professor and baseball coach at "Texas University". It had some cheesy sign saying this put right on the main quad. It was kinda cool, it showed the fountain and Dallas Hall.
Another really obscure one that doesn't really count: In the script for Full Metal Jacket, one of the characters is called quarterback or something and they ask why and he says "I played for SMU back in '68". I watched the movie, but it appears they changed it to Notre Dame. Can't really claim that one, but SMU is printed in the script.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby MustangSally » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:06 am

Another random one:
In Gilligan's Island, the "professor" supposedly received degrees from USC, UCLA, SMU, and TCU. Maybe they thought it was funny to throw in two sets of rivals.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:22 am

In Gilligan's Island Thurston Howell's "SMU" stood for "Southern Millionaires University"

Great TV show.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Texastang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:48 am

Don't forget about the bar scene at Milo's. (Born on the 4th of July)
Texastang
Scout Team

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:05 am

here's one for ya...

'the big game' (1937) with bruce cabot, andy devine, et al...

here's the cast...notice 'robert wilson' below...that's BOBBY WILSON of our SMU...they introduce him and several other stars at the beginning of the movie IN THEIR UNIFORMS INDIVIDUALLY as "Bobby Wilson of Southern Methodist University."

Read the story below that i found on 'blockbuster'

<A HREF="http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V++++84994,00.html?" TARGET=_blank>http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V++++84994,00.html?</A>

ITS A CLASSIC:

Future best-selling novelist Irwin Shaw made his screenwriting bow with the modest RKO Radio sports drama The Big Game. The story revolves around the efforts by a group of crooked gamblers to fix the outcomes of college football games. When star quarterback Clark (Philip Huston) refuses to be bribed, the villains kidnap him on the eve of the titular Big Game. Clark is rescued by his burly teammates just in the nick of time, but the film's not over yet: there's a riot on the football field during the final scenes, reportedly inspired by a real-life incident during a 1935 NYU-Fordham game. Adding to the enjoyment of The Big Game is the presence of several genuine members of the 1936 All-American football squad: The University of Chicago's Jay Berwanger, Notre Dame's William Shakespeare, Southern Methodist's Bobby Wilson, NYU's Irwin "King Kong" Klein, Ohio State's Gomer Jones, and Stanford's Robert "Bones" Hamilton, Monk Moscrip and Frank Alustiza. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Philip Huston - Clark Jenkins
James Gleason - George
June Travis - Margaret Anthony
Bruce Cabot - Cal Calhoun
Andy Devine - Pop
C. Henry Gordon - Brad Anthony
Guinn "Big Boy" Williams - Pete Jenkins
John Arledge - Spike Adams
Frank M. Thomas - Coach
Barbara Pepper - Lois
Eddie Nugent - Drunk
Margaret Seddon - Mrs. Jenkins
Billy Gilbert - Fisher
John Harrington - Dawson
Murray Kinnell - Dean
Ward Bond - Football Game Bettor
Jay Berwanger -
Robert Wilson -
James Moscrip -
Irwin Klein -
Gomer Jones -
Robert "Bones" Hamilton -
Frank Alustiza - Football Players, Themselves
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 am

Two Oliver Stone movies had scenes filmed at SMU. Of course, Born on the Fourth of July and also Talk Radio.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:16 am

And our own PonyPride is in the background of a scene in each -- in Talk Radio, he's in a scene shot in Moody of a basketball game, and in Born on the Fourth of July, in one of the scenes shot near the fountain in front of Dallas Hall.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:24 pm

Yeah it's kinda' nice that- at least in film- we've had the number one overall pick in a recent NFL draft. Frank Cushman (Jerry O'Connell), I've got Cush-lash.

"Surf or ski."

Yeah, there's also a picture of Cushman in an SMU uniform. So we got that going for us, which is nice.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:25 pm

Don Meredith appeared in a whole bunch of forgettable made for TV movies.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:55 pm

Iknow you all said movies, but if you watched last week's episode of Everwood on the WB, they had a college day, and you could see SMU's banner in the back of the opening shot. There weren't too many other schools that you could make out.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Spaz » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:07 pm

I haven't seen this movie, but I heard Kate Hudson goes to SMU in Dr. T and The women or whatever that Richard Gere movie was...
Also, Walker Texas Ranger films scenes here a lot.
One more, once they had a Whataburger commercial filmed here. They needed a Lived In fraternity house room. They came to mine and Mustang Sally's but we were deemed way to dirty to be filmed. That's when we decided to clean up!
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Next

Return to Football