PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If Cavan stays...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If Cavan stays...

Postby ponytalk » Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:48 pm

I have heard that many of our good players will leave. I have heard that the players do not really enjoy playing right now. It is not the fact they are loosing, it is the process. They are mentally drained. From what I gather, they do not have breaks from video and meetings. It is worse than any other program. They have meetings on gameday and the night before at the hotels. That is too much. If they coaches do not have the team prepared by the night before, there is no question we are not ready. On gameday, the players should have mental freedom to prepare, not meetings. They hit the field and are mentally fatigued. Gameday is their freetime, their time to release. That is why they have fun out there and they are not focused on the bench.

The players are not happy. I hate to say this, but the few players that care on this team may not be here next year.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: If Cavan stays...

Postby PK » Tue Nov 07, 2000 3:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ponytalk:
<B>The players are not happy. I hate to say this, but the few players that care on this team may not be here next year.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's been my fear for awhile now. We need a big change, if you know what I mean.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HorsePower » Tue Nov 07, 2000 5:21 pm

If what you say is true, ponytalk, then that should be the end of the discussion. Are we talking about Briggs/Viloria/Cunningham/Freeman/Hampton-type players? We simply can not afford to lose players, especially the good ones (obviously). I happen to like Coach Cavan, and I will always wish him well, but after February's recruiting fiasco, we can not afford to steer our best players toward the door. We have some players with real talent, and we need to keep them and build on that core group. Coach Cavan is not the one who can go out there and throw and catch and block and tackle.

Right or wrong, if they really are butting heads on this, the players have to win.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Oliver Stone » Tue Nov 07, 2000 11:50 pm

Yes, unfortunately there are those caliber of players that are pondering transfers. Most would much rather play at a Division II school and not be laughed at in the newspapers, on sportsradio, and around campus.

It's very frustrating for these players - from dealing with egotistical coaches on staff, visiting with their friends and players from other schools that are surprised by how "small time" SMU football has become, yada yada yada - to not only lose games like this but see their potential and talent wasted. And they are not having fun at all.

Academically, SMU is kidding itself, and a degree from here is not as huge as people think, unless they go into business with daddy Thurston or uncle Preston or cousin Angelica. Many of these players are highly intelligent and not just instruments of the coaching staff and alumni, and are realizing this and are opting for more promising pastures. Since when did SFA, Jackson State, Sam Houston, or Tennessee-Chattanooga become a better breeding ground of great football players than SMU? Well, that's become quite obvious to be the case.

The serious athletes on this team, and there are many, especially from the SMU classes of juniors and sophomores, can see that the present situation is a joke. They are ranked 120th in the country, with no turnaround in sight. They have 1 or 2 years left in their careers, because heaven knows we aren't training them for any football future, and they at least want to enjoy the sport they are basically getting paid to do - $30,000 scholarship each year is more than many of their parents were making at the age of 18, or perhaps even now!! College football is a full-time job anywhere you go, but as the old proverb goes, love what you do and you'll never have to work a day in your life!

This is the first time I've really noticed how defeating a lifeless coaching staff can be to a team. SMU football is very boring this year. It needs a much needed shot in the arm.

Otherwise, the mustangs may get those 8 scholarships back a year early, because I can easily name 8 players that are seriously looking elsewhere if no changes are made.

And I may even consider directing a movie about it.

This is my first and last post... I go back to my other alter ego after these words.
Oliver Stone

Postby PK » Wed Nov 08, 2000 1:02 pm

Thanks Oliver...now I am totally depressed.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTales » Wed Nov 08, 2000 4:26 pm

Who are the players that are thinking of transferring?
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby ponytalk » Wed Nov 08, 2000 9:00 pm

I don't think they would appreciate their names being listed, so I will spare them that. But let me just say, they are great players and it would really hurt the team.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PonyTales:
<B>Who are the players that are thinking of transferring?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football