PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sounds like we are in trouble

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sounds like we are in trouble

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Nov 09, 2000 12:43 pm

Tulsa has a great receiver. The secondary has had a break, Rice last week, but they are going to have to work hard again. We have shown that we cannot defend against the pass, and last week we have shown we cannot really defend the run either. Well, Tulsa is a passing team, so we are in trouble.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Re: Sounds like we are in trouble

Postby ponytalk » Thu Nov 09, 2000 2:36 pm

True, but their defensive line looks pretty small and weak. Maybe we can run the ball. Hopefully we won't just use Briggs, let Freeman carry the ball 7-10 times and let Pipkins play about 40% of the game. We could dominate this game offensivly IF we use ALL of our threats, which we are yet to do this year.
Coaches...We have three great running backs, let use them ALL!
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:59 pm

ponytalk -- do you owe Pipkins money or something? Great guy, works hard, etc., but play him 40% of the game? If we do, they can start catering a party in Tulsa right now.

Briggs and Freeman are the only ones who should carry the ball.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby ponytalk » Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:39 am

You are wrong horsepower, ok, maybe not 40% of the game, but Pipkins provies a spark and rest for Briggs. He also changes things up enough to keep the defense on their toes.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Nov 10, 2000 2:04 am

Horsepower and ponytalk, I have a solution, what if Pipkins played WR? That is what he is going to do according to the DMN. It says Cody Cardwell broke a finger so Pipkins is replacing him. Is that smart? Changing Pipkins to receiver? Oh well, it is not in my hands to decide, just does not seem logical, why not use McDearman? Just makes me wonder, once again, what is going through these coaches heads.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby smudad » Fri Nov 10, 2000 2:01 pm

Moving Pipkins to WR, where he will probably get very few snaps, does get Keylon Kinkaid (sp?) in the game some for Briggs a RB. That IMO, is a good thing. His Redshirt status has already been forfeited. And he is a much more dangerous back than Pipkins. Pipkins will probably just give Comet a breather every now and then. Not sure where Carter fits into the scheme. Backup to Ford only?
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby D » Fri Nov 10, 2000 2:14 pm

His Redshirt status has already been forfeited.

Are you sure his redshirt is already gone? When did he play except for the game against NCState? It is my understanding that he can still redshirt if he plays in a limited number of snaps against non-conference opponents. If he hasn't lost his shirt then he needs to stay off the field. Its too late in the season to waste a year.
D
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Fri Nov 10, 2000 7:44 pm

D, I think it has been. I am pretty sure he is on some special teams and he has seen the field in a couple games. It is such a waste to keep using freshman when they are not truely needed. Don't get me wrong, Kincade is going to be a decent back, but let him learn in practice first. We are wasting years off of two people's careers, Pipkins and Kincade's.
I do not understand why you people think it is good to waste a freshman's first year so he can get a couple of snaps a game. That does not make one bit of sense. Are we redshirting Godfrey? He was someone that played in the begining and I don't think he even travels.
Pipkins is good, he has little time left, USE HIM. Kincade is young and has little experience, REDSHIRT HIM.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby smudad » Sat Nov 11, 2000 12:00 pm

He played special teams against Rice last week. Had one of our better plays on a runback. I certainly don't advocate burning his redshirt. But now that it's already done, play the best guy. At this point, that's Keylon.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Sat Nov 11, 2000 12:50 pm

I do not understand what Pipkins has done--why am I the only one who thinks he is good. Pipkins has shown in every game he plays that he can move the ball. He drove the field in one game but they took him out and gave it to Briggs, so they took his glory away. He is not the best RB on the team, but he is better than Keylon. I just don't see what Keylon has done. Please inform me.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football