PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pipkins to WR

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pipkins to WR

Postby SMU00 » Fri Nov 10, 2000 4:24 pm

Did I read that right in the Morning News on-line? Jason Pipkins is going to be a wide receiver?

I (obviously) live too far away to get to games, so I don't know -- what are his hands like? Can he run routes? Or is he going to be something like eighth string, and never get off the bench?

Does this mean he plays ahead of Brian McDearman? What is going on with that guy? I thought everyone liked him, including the coaches. Not true?

Where's Marcus Carter been since the UTEP game?
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Re: Pipkins to WR

Postby stangfan » Fri Nov 10, 2000 7:05 pm

I don't know what is going on with the coaching staff. From my knowledge, Pipkins has been a running back his entire football career. I think it is a complete waste to change his position if he won't be used. This change calls for him to learn new routes, plays, etc. This is totally uncalled for. This young man has worked hard since his redshirt year. I've heard several teammates say how hard he works and that he gives 110%. I thought Cavan told DMN and other reporters that Pipkins would be guarenteed pt after going above and beyond last spring and summer. I haven't seen much of this kid since the Kansas and UTEP game. The last couple of games when he is called upon, he's not even in for a complete series. So, if he does remain at wr, I hope they plan to use his smarts, quickness, and dedication.

------------------
stangfan
stangfan
stangfan
Recruit

Postby ponytalk » Fri Nov 10, 2000 7:40 pm

You are right stangfan, he is dedicated. I think this too is a waste. I cannot remember what game it was, but it was early in the year and Pipkins drove the ball the length of the field and then the coaches put Briggs in for a short run to score. That is just rude towards Pipkins. He has shown he can move the ball, but the coaches disrespect him. It has got to be frustrating for him.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Tue Nov 14, 2000 2:17 pm

Pipkins is being used by the coaches. They are making him do grunt work and not giving him any credit. And that is all I have to say about that.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Nov 14, 2000 5:10 pm

ponytalk -

When the coaches let Briggs come in for the short touchdown after Pipkins drove the length of the field (although I've been at every home game and can not recall that happening), it is not rude to Pipkins. It is a matter of the coaches deciding who has the best chance of getting the ball into the end zone. Briggs is bigger and stronger, and faster as well, and therefore can generate more power should he have a big collision at the goal line. It is not a slam against Pipkins -- it's a matter of picking the best personnel to increase the Mustangs' chances of scoring.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Football