PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I want food

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I want food

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 04, 2000 2:28 pm

I don't care what it takes, we need a training table or at least something that resembles this. You can gripe all you want about the strength program but I know how the nutrition level at this program and it is horrible. No strength program in the world can get you bigger, faster, and stronger if all you eat is junk. I know the nutrition level is bad because I am a fresh graduate from SMU and its football program. Nothing will change until the players are given a little help by the powers who be.

Re: I want food

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:06 pm

I could not agree with you more. A training table is another essential that we have to live without. What is going on here
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Big D » Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:37 pm

I couldn't agree more. Our stregth fell off tremendously during the season. The traveling
squad only works with weights twice a week during season. But, the most important thing is eating to keep stregth up. There has to be something done to compensate, but I don't know what to do. Maybe Matt could pass on the concerns, and report back.
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Bballer » Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:14 pm

What I have heard is there are no funds for a training table and there is no place to have one. This would have to be for all athletes but it would help athletics so much. More than just nutrition and size, but the team would be together for every meal and they would not have scheduling conflicts.
I almost wish we cut something out of Ford to have this. The ViewBoard is a great example. I think that cost a million or two, that could have gone to the meal plan and equipment/construction of a place.
Now the the LEC is in the All Sports Center, what is in Letterman Hall? That could be a place for the training table, but who will pay for it?
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:42 pm

Is that you, Goldberg?

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:07 pm

Please forgive what may be an ignorant question. Buit for those of us who didn't play college athletics, what exactly is a training table? I understand the notion of it being a place where the athletes get food -- that's obvious. But how is a training table different from a cafeteria set-up, especially with the increased number of choices in food in recent years and increased nutritional information that is now available?
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Tue Dec 05, 2000 2:36 pm

The food service is only for athletes. The food is chosen to fit nutritional needs for athletes. People's diets can be controlled, more protien and meat for linemen to gain weight and healthier food for people needing to lose weight.
The team can also eat together three times a day(unity), they do not have to get out of class early or practice early to go eat. But most importantly the food is picked for what the player needs to be eating. It will also help recruiting because the cafeteria still is not any good and athletes will not have to pay for food on their own.
It is a need for SMU, but no where near getting here.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby MustangMan » Tue Dec 05, 2000 2:57 pm

Cafeteria's no good? You should have seen the slop they dished out when I was there. I ate in the cafeteria with my wife and daughters (one of whom is a student at SMU now) when were in town for homecoming, and I thought it was pretty good chow, especially for a university cafeteria.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby ponytalk » Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:15 pm

It is probably better than before. It has a good day every now and then, but if you ate there for homecoming then they probably made sure it was good for everyone coming in.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:51 pm

PonyFanMan, yes this is Goldberg, I am finally on. I am sure the food during homecoming was at best decent, but as someone else said, it was homecoming so they made an extra effort. The overall quality of this food is not bad if you are not active in any organized athletics, but for those who are expected to perform on the field of competition at a high level it is pig slop. Frito Pie and two day old hamburgers transformed into salisbury steak is not going to put any useful weight or strength on anybody. The president and AD, who's names will remain anonymous, need to pull their heads out and realize what needs to be done and quit being cowards. I'm sorry if this is harsh but I invested very much time and body parts to this program and feel that the athletes (football and other sports) need and deserve much better.

Postby SunStang » Tue Dec 05, 2000 4:16 pm

No doubt does this program need a training table....I am a recent graduate and athlete from the University of Washington and cannot believe that a training table is not available to these athletes!! What an easy way for coaches and trainers to moniter and assure that their athletes are getting proper nutrition. We all know that the size of the team was an embarassment this year. NO division 1 football team should have it's team average weight decline through out the season!!! Now, we can blame the athletes themselves, BUT can we really trust 18 year-old boys who just left home to make responsible and healthful choices?? After a long day of school and practice you are going to eat whatever sounds good or convenient (fast food). At Washington we ate together as a team and athletic department. Those of us that needed to watch our diets for whatever reasons (gain or lose weight), our teammates and coaches were there to hold us accountable. And that's something this team is lacking, Accountability.
SunStang

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 4:20 pm

Good to see you here Stanglover and Sun Stang. I think you guys hit the nail right on the head with your comments. It's not like a training table will automatically equal into wins, but it is a step in the right direction.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 6:08 pm

Wow, B-Ho and Sun Stang...Good to see you guys here. Sun Stang, did I meet you with stanglover at Swann's house?

[This message has been edited by PonyFanMan (edited 12-05-2000).]

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 8:17 pm

Yes PonyFanMan, Stanglover and SunStang were both at Swann's that night. It's good to talk to you but you need to get together with us (i.e. me,sunstang,tubbyAA,and the rest of the old crowd. We'll be in touch and lets see if we can't fix this broken program.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 8:27 pm

For sure. Call me sometime. 214-683-0927.

Next

Return to Football