PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How much of a difference can one year's worth of changed recruiting policies make?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How much of a difference can one year's worth of changed recruiting policies make?

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:23 pm

Do you guys think that these new recruiting policies will make that much of a difference next year. I cannot see how they will. And How good do you guys think this recruiting class will be. I guess I mean, in comparison to the rest of Cavan's classes, how will this one stack up?
Joe

Re: How much of a difference can one year's worth of changed recruiting policies make?

Postby Hotel California » Thu Dec 07, 2000 3:44 pm

I would not say it can make that much of a difference in one year. That is, unless of course we were to land a 5 star recruit that could step in, start, and dominate as a freshman, and that rarely happens. The effects of these changes in policies will not be seen for two or three years when the athletes can take the field. There are a lot of positives about next year's squad, the main of which, is that we are returning almost the entire team. This is great news for us.
Hotel California
Recruit

Re: How much of a difference can one year's worth of changed recruiting policies make?

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Dec 07, 2000 5:06 pm

I agree. It just in not that common for an 18 year old kid to be ready to play at the college level. College athletes, on the whole, are much more mature and better developed. The impact would be a couple of years down the road. I would say, and I might be mistaken, that it is easier to adapt to a skill position such as QB, WR than it is for a lineman to come in and play. It is the physical part of the game that is tough to adapt to.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Recruiting Guru » Thu Dec 07, 2000 6:56 pm

The biggest difference will come next summer, when SMU can have a kid in summer camp and get commitments then. SMU can have them in and make offers -- whether they eventually qualify will be determined later. But if the coaches can get a commitment from a stud player or two, that might convince others to follow suit.
Recruiting Guru
Varsity

Postby Hotel California » Fri Dec 08, 2000 3:03 pm

Time will tell. Let's hope Cavan can get a Marcus Mosesly Caliber recruit and keep him in school.
Hotel California
Recruit

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Dec 08, 2000 4:19 pm

The policy does not actually do anything for the recruiting class coming in. They had all of their visits scheduled and they started after the season.
So it won't take effect until next year's recruiting.
We won't see a difference until 2002. But people say it takes several years before a class can make a difference...Not at SMU, we play so many young guys, they make a difference their freshman year. If this were to happen anywhere else I would say you won't see a difference until 2004 or maybe 2003, but at SMU you will see a difference in 2002.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football