PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is luker for certain going to be the starter next year?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Is luker for certain going to be the starter next year?

Postby ALL4SMU » Wed Dec 13, 2000 6:32 am

Just curious. I guess nothing is for certain, but from what I have heard, the coaches seem to be pretty high on him and think he will lead us to where we want and need to go.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Is luker for certain going to be the starter next year?

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Dec 13, 2000 1:29 pm

From what I hear, Luker is entering spring workouts as the starter, as long as he works hard over the offseason on conditioning.

I think that's unfair to David Page, who did a great job filling in for McCown. He should be at least equal on the depth chart. Competition is great -- if Luker earns the job, great -- but let's not overlook what Page did for us.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 13, 2000 2:15 pm

I agree PonyGirl, competition is what makes a great team. If you give a position to someone who has not completely proven himself then it seems to me showing a little favoritism. Page did do a decent job when filling in for Josh but he did not excel. Luker on the other hand has not played in over a year. If both are given equal oppurtunity for the spot it makes the both of them work harder thus becoming better players. I hope this is what the staff does but I have a feeling they won't. They have a track record of choosing someone before even off-season has started.

Postby ponytalk » Wed Dec 13, 2000 3:29 pm

Ponygirl and stanglover-
Well said. I did understand the coaches thinking (once again) by saying Luker is the starter now. How can they decide that? Page played in 4 games, started three, and played just as good if not better than McCown. They just strip him of that position?? There is a lot of time to determine who are QB will be.

We have spring--which is meant to determine position battles--and two a days. These coaches need to learn a little bit of how to run things.

You go into spring and fall with equal opportunities for both. They are taking sides by saying Luker is the starter, he has not seen action in over a year.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PK » Wed Dec 13, 2000 4:00 pm

Do we know for certain that the coaches have said Luker will be the starter or is this one of those "somebody said a coach said..." deals?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Wed Dec 13, 2000 6:07 pm

I read that in the paper. I think it was in the DMN article when Josh left.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Big D » Wed Dec 13, 2000 7:23 pm

First of all, had the coaches known that McCown was leaving, they never would have red-shirted Luker. He took a good screwing his freshman year because of Josh. Josh was the upper classman, and he didn't like looking over his shoulder, (in his words) so they benched Luker. I thought Luker was a better QB than McCown last year(IMO). I think thats why they may be giving him the nod early. Yeah, Page did o.k., but Luker was never given a fair chance last year, and then they red-shirt him this year, hoping he would take over after McCown graduated. Well, his leaving changed all of that. I think Luker would be a well seasoned QB right now had he not been screwed last year because of McCown.
Big D
Scout Team

Postby smudad » Fri Dec 15, 2000 10:46 am

I think it's all labels. There are a lot of workouts between now and the time someone will actually 'start' a football game. If Luker is the starter, it will be the first time we will have a QB and an offensive system that fit each other. Chris Sanders would have flourished under this system (assuming some talent around him).

There is a major difference betwen having guys actually compete for a job and simply dangling the job to mess with minds. Cavan hasn't found that discernment yet. He started the games the minute he hit campus with Ramon and it continued on in to this year.

With the exception of a couple of REALLY, REALLY bad decisions in the Rice game, I liked what Page did. I also think Luker is the better QB. If the coach doesn't screw it up again, it could be a win/win deal for SMU.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2000 11:43 am

smudad are you saying there was no talent around Chris Sanders when he was here? I don't think you are but I was just wondering.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2000 2:30 pm

I hope smudad is not implying Chris Sanders had no talent around him. He probably had more than the team has now. It's just he was subject to an offensive system that was dedicated to running the football, no matter what. I personally have seen Sanders in Chattanooga, where he has set all kinds of records. And believe me, while the talent is good there, it is better at SMU, especially when he was here.
I don't mean to sound so defensive, but I just wanted to state the facts.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2000 2:57 pm

Great point Swami, why don't you give me a call today and discuss plans for this weekend.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:08 pm

Sorry stanglover, already have plans. I am going to Austin this weeekend. Gonna go see Midland Lee play Austin Westlake, with Roy. Gotta go cheer against those A**holes from Westlake, you know, since they knocked out the best high school team ever, 94-95 Clark Cougers!!

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:18 pm

Unbelievable! Granted Chris wasn't at the helm of Florida State, but it is my opinion that the talent level was sufficient. Stanglover, give me a call and let me know whattsssuuupppp for the weekend.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:37 pm

Hey Swami, you got the C.C. part right, but I do not believe it was the Clark Cougars who were the best. You know exactly what I'm talking about. You see, I'm not so bitter about Westlake considering it was us who crushed their self confidence. Just imagine what we would have done to you.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2000 4:41 pm

Not bitter OldPony70, just want to see a great game, while they lose. It will be fun. And give me a break, you know deep in your heart the Cougers would beat the Wildcats. Who was it who broke all mighty Calallen's home winning streak? Wait...Wait..it's coming.....
Oh ya, Clark.
Look, we better stop all this before we get booted off this site for not talking about the Ponies.
You guys wanna come to Austin? It is gonna be fun!

Return to Football